Extended cardio and pain

Options
Hello,

Lately I have been getting a pain in my chest off to the left side near the bottom of rib cage. It's not life threatening but more of an annoyance. It seems to be only for the first few miles of activity. I really noticed it when I had my first outside run of the year. I did not have this issue that often previously.

I have been told it was a lack of correct breathing. Someone else also told me it was due to lack of water.

Any ideas MFP'ers?????

Replies

• SpaceMarkus
    SpaceMarkus Posts: 651
    Options
    I used to have the same when I ran. I found I was breathing really fast and my diaphragm was going into spasms. Sounds like the same here. When it happens try holding your breathe for 20-30 seconds to allow it to calm down, then take nice, deep breathes.
  • hitxgirl
    hitxgirl Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I agree...it's a problem with your breathing. I was having the same pain, but I was holding my breath. To overcome this I have to consciously breath in a rhythmical way. (In..1..2..Out..1..2..) When I feel a pain then I take one breath in and two out. I was told that the pain is from lack of oxygen, which makes sense to me since I was holding my breath. I do this a couple of times and the pain goes away.

If the weather is too cold or too hot this may be causing you to have shallow breathing, which sometimes casues me pain too. I will take a really deep breath, hold it for a couple of seconds and then breath out all the way. Then resume my reg. breathing pattern.

Hope this helps.