How to do your measurments..women only answer please

Options
i know this sounds silly but could someone explain to me the correct way to measure your waist and hips

Replies

• WifeMomDVM
    WifeMomDVM Posts: 1,025 Member
    Options
    I've heard different things. I've heard measure the largest area of your hips, and measure your waist between your sternum and your belly button. I've also heard to take your waist measurement over your belly button.

Whatever you decide - be consistent - measure in the same place so you can track your progress!
  • FaeFae
    FaeFae Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    the people at the gym measure me two fingers below my belly button, around my bumb in the middle so pretty much the fullest part....and your waist being where your body goes in on the sides!! your waist is actually up higher than people realize. Its higher than your belly button and most people do not wear their pants that high. Its where your body curves!!!
  • pftjill
    pftjill Posts: 488
    Options
    It is your true waist-about 2 inches above your belly button. It is just best to pick a point an do it in the same place every time.
  • maurapie
    maurapie Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I'm in the Air Force and part of our Physical Fitness Testing is abdominal circumference. The way it is supposed to be mesured is using the iliac crest, which is the tip of the hipbone directly under the armpit.
    You can really measure yourself anywhere, as long as you do it the same way everytime. Try finding your own "landmark" similar to the iliac crest
  • sarah44254
    sarah44254 Posts: 3,078 Member
    Options
    waist = where my belly is smallest (for me it is right at the end of my rib cage, where my sides dip in in an attempt at an hourglass shape

hips = the largest area of my bum/hips that doesn't include my thighs

I didn't do this measurement and I wish I did ~ your pouch / belly / gut whatever you want to call it... the area at or just below your belly button, lower abs, baby fat pouch ... you know the area I'm talking about. I know mine has gotten smaller, but neither the waist nor hip measurement shows that, so I have no idea how much I lost.
  • rklein88
    rklein88 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Waist should be measured at the "natural waist" (should be at your belly button, this is the site when you will be the smallest when you reach your final goal). Hips should be measured around your body below your hips bones at the level where your bottom (or pick your preferred word for behind.lol) is the largest...where it sticks out the farthest when you look at it from the side.

For both measurements, the measuring tape should be held level (same height on your body in front, back, and on each side...it's easiest to have someone help you, but not necessary). If you have a yard stick or ruler and no tape measure, use a string and hold it with your finger or mark with a marker when you measure yourself, then lay it flat and measure the string with your ruler/yard stick. Being in exercise physiology, we do this a lot, but it's not as simple as it sounds!!
  • RDH0513
    RDH0513 Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    No one has the exact same waist at the exact same place. It is the smallest place below your chest and above your hips. There is also a measurement for you waist, the place which your pants hit. But at the gym I worked at, we always did measurements at the smallest place of your stomach. I measured hips at the largest place around your butt.