So Hungry...

Options
Hi all,

My first 4 weeks here were very productive. Lost weight every week like clockwork, wasn't really having a hard time with being hungry either, but for the last 10 days or so I'm REAL hungry, all the time. I just ate a huge supper, chicken, potatoes, veggies, pie, and my stomach is grumbling away.

Wondering if this is 'normal' that the humger will come and go as I try to lose weight? I want it to be like when I started!

Replies

• uubulldawg06
    uubulldawg06 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    its not always hunger. most of th time your stomach growls when you are thirsty. Try increasing your water intake.
  • Kathy11174
    Options
    It may not be grumbling because you are hungry, it may be protesting to what you put in your body. Try simplifying your meals and eat smaller every 2 hours with a protein bar as an evening snack to carry you through the night.
  • ladybg81
    ladybg81 Posts: 1,553 Member
    Options
    This will not really apply to you but I notice that when that time of the month is getting closer, I am starving all the time. But I have a feeling that everybody probably goes through this at one time or another. I don't have any advice but I can say it SUCKS!!!
  • LegalBeagleJCK
    LegalBeagleJCK Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I still get hungry. I know some people report that they get used to the lower calories and don't get hungry anymore after awhile, but that never happened for me. I just try to work through it by filling up my tummy with some water or tea....having a low-calorie snack (even if it makes me go over my daily allowance)....or working out (i've noticed that workouts control my hunger a little...sounds counter-intuitive i know, but it does have that affect on me).

Hang in there.
  • ultracinch
    Options
    Are you hungry or are you bored...LOL...I am into my 5th wk into my weight loss journey and yesterday I noticed that I was hungry all day...turns out I was just bored. I usually stick to eating 5 to 6 small meals. and remember, to eat carbs with your meals prior to your workout. Keep up the good work, remember to drink your 8 glasses of water.
  • lanerichardson
    Options
    try allowing for a protein snack whether it be a bar or a shake. I like shakes in th evening becuase it does two things your thirst and your hunger.
  • mangorabbit
    mangorabbit Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    For me it does kind of go in phases (or it seems to!) - Something I noticed - the more simple carbs I consume, the hungrier I seem to end up. And maybe it is something else on those days, but I don't eat a lot of bread products (wheat allergy) so when I have some me-safe bread it is a treat, but it usually ends up with me craving more of those not-so-great foods.

Look at what you are eating - also possibly look at your goal - if you are after losing 2lb a week and feel like you are starving, maybe back off a bit? (Or look at what you set your activity level to...are you moving more now? Less?)

Right - all of the above is just my rambling, and as I have said before: 'I know nothing!'

=)
  • funkyspunky871
    funkyspunky871 Posts: 1,675 Member
    Options
    I go through phases like that. Some weeks I'll be absolutely starving, other weeks I have no appetite at all. Just stick with it! :) Try eating your exercise calories back. If anything, it'll encourage you exercise more just so you can have extra calories.
  • yodacho
    yodacho Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I have days when I'm super hungry. It often depends on if I've had enough fiber, or ate some empty calories earlier in the day, or had liquid calories like juice or a Starbucks beverage. Or sometimes I haven't had enough water and thirst is posing as hunger. But sometimes I'm just hungry, dang it. I do go over my calories from time to time, but rarely over the programmed deficit of -500. I guess I'm doing something OK, because I'm now at 22 pounds gone since Jan 1.

There's stress/emotional "hunger" (I'm sad/tired/mad give me cake with lots of frosting), and there's "Give me some more calories arrrrrgh even the dog food smells kinda good right now!" which I think would be your body requesting more fuel.

Sometimes a nice chunk of protein when I'm really hungry helps quite a bit. Best of luck on your journey.
  • Hinto
    Hinto Posts: 52
    Options
    When I said my stomach was grumbling, what I meant was that I has having hunger pangs. It's very odd how some days it's easy to meet my calory limit and other days I blow it by several hundred.