Grocery list help! (Protein, too.)

Options
hush7hush
hush7hush Posts: 2,273 Member
I'm making a grocery list.
As anyone can see, I'm not very good at eating healthy, or at staying away from processed foods.
I need good suggestions for quick and easy to make, healthy, meals and snack!

Also, I'm having a hard time getting protein.
Any suggestions on how to get more?

I work out ALOT, so I'm sure I need all the protein I can get.

Replies

• sjmartinez
    Options
    Try to avoid the inner aisles!

You are correct in stating that processed food is junk, and in my opinion pure poison. If it comes in a box, stay away from it, there are very few exceptions to this rule one being some cereals.
    Shop the outer perimeter of your store and you'll do fine.
    Experiment with more fresh herbs limiting the salt, and if salt is a must, try sea salt (check the sodium content).
  • Elzecat
    Elzecat Posts: 2,916 Member
    Options
    I forgot one thing--protein powder--I use GNC Soy 95 but plan to switch over to a "whey protein" version as soon as I've used mine up. Look for one with high protein grams and lower carb/fat/sugar :) I mix it with skim milk but you can also mix with water....
  • bamagirl2020
    Options
    Get some Lean Pockets. The pretzel bread ones are especially good. They have a good bit of sodium in them, but if you only eat one a day you will be fine. Also, I would recommend hummus. I am obsessed with it and it only has around 70 calories a serving. I eat it with pretzels, but you can eat it with pita chips or carrots too.
  • sjmartinez
    Options
    And for protein, I forgot to add as a former vegetarian I would add different varieties of nuts to my meals.

Look into meal replacement shakes, (but not slim fast, special k, etc they are way too high in sugar) they provide much of your daily protein needs. They are fast and easy to make and I add frozen fruits and blend for a refreshing post workout meal.
  • ambie35
    ambie35 Posts: 853 Member
    Options
    a typical two week grocery shop for me:

some haddock or sole fillets
    some boneless skinless chicken breasts
    fruit (my favourites are blueberries,raspberries,banana,and granny smith apples)
    a nut (I like almonds and walnuts the best)
    some yogurt ( I get greek and mix it with honey and cinnamon)
    a salad base( usually spinach)
    cherry tomato's
    some sweet potato's
    kashi bars
  • taiyola
    taiyola Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    a typical two week grocery shop for me:

some haddock or sole fillets
    some boneless skinless chicken breasts
    fruit (my favourites are blueberries,raspberries,banana,and granny smith apples)
    a nut (I like almonds and walnuts the best)
    some yogurt ( I get greek and mix it with honey and cinnamon)
    a salad base( usually spinach)
    cherry tomato's
    some sweet potato's
    kashi bars

That doesn't seem like much for 2 weeks! :indifferent:
  • taiyola
    taiyola Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    I try and have 2-3 meals a day with protein in. At the moment I'm always around my limit, and often over my protein goal for the day.

I have 2 bread or toast and a mix off veggie sausages, veggie bacon and egg for breakfast, and a coffee and vitamins. The rest of the day is just whatever I have planned, I work around it. I still have work to do ti make my diet better, but it's loads better than it used to be.
  • Nomomush
    Nomomush Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    One rule I stick to is if the item has more than 2 hard to pronounce ingredients, I try to stay away from it. So here's my grocery list for the week:

All these items are fresh--not frozen, canned, or prepacakged

Salmon
    Beef tenderloin
    Ground turkey
    Lean ground beef
    Steelhead Trout
    Tilapia
    Asparagus
    French green beans
    Bell pepper
    cucumbers
    Spring Mix Salad
    Eggs
    oatmeal
    almonds
    pistachios
    So Delicious coconut unsweetened milk
    apples
    mangos
    honey dew
    pineapple
    squash
    sweet potatoes
    Brown rice
    blue berries
    spinach

Hope this helps. Let me know if you want any recipes.
  • bbush18
    bbush18 Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    cottage cheese is VERY high in protein. Eat it with a couple pieces of fruit and you've got a great breakfast or snack!!
  • kje2011
    kje2011 Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    Fruits and vegetables are a must!!!
    1% milk
    fish, chicken, ground turkey/pork, lean ground beef
    Whole wheat breads
    whole grain rice
    WATER
    crackers/salsa
    Greek yogurt'
    Oatmeal add cinnamon
  • hush7hush
    hush7hush Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    Do you have to cook hummus, or do you buy it premade?
  • thomalr6180
    thomalr6180 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Because I work out 4-5x per week, I target for a minimum of 65+ grams of protein a day. I start most days with egg whites. I had to get used to those, which I started with 1 egg + 1 egg white.

I also buy the premade protein shakes at Costco. They come in vanilla and chocolate. They have 30 grams of protein and are easy when I am walking in or out of the gym.

I also eat a lot of chicken and beans.

I agree with shopping the outskirts of the store. I get cereal and some pasta, but that is pretty much it. Oh wait, coffee too.

Some people will also tell you milk, but it packs sugar and fat, so I take calcium supplements.
  • bamagirl2020
    Options
    Do you have to cook hummus, or do you buy it premade?

You buy it premade. Sabra is my favorite brand. In my grocery store, it is on the cold aisle with the lettuce, carrots, and other veggies.
  • GJSaguaro
    GJSaguaro Posts: 19
    Options
    Egg whites are great protein and they're easy to cook. Just put them in an oiled, lightly covered microwavable tupperware and microwave them for 15-30 seconds or until the steam cooks them and they puff up like a soufflé. I buy the smallest carton because they don't keep very long and a little goes a long way.
  • wanttogetskinny
    Options
    A cereal I like is Special K Protein Plus - low carb, high protein, pretty good serving of fiber as well. And not too bad taste wise - liven it up with strawberries if it's too bland for you!
  • ambie35
    ambie35 Posts: 853 Member
    Options

That doesn't seem like much for 2 weeks! :indifferent:

I also buy my meals at work when I work,and have a lot of staples built up in the cupboards already.