Biggest Hurdle

Options
My biggest hurdle right now is that I'm definitely a stress eater. Whenever I get mad or stressed I want to head to the freezer and get my ice cream out. I know if I want to overcome this weight issue, I need to overcome this hurdle. Is there any advice from anybody on how to do this? Thank you

Replies

• focusedfrances
    focusedfrances Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I decided to start painting my nails instead. Good luck! Replacing the bad habits is hard.
  • sculptcha
    sculptcha Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Don't keep ice cream in your freezer?
  • abellante_0205
    abellante_0205 Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    When stressed out, go for a walk!!! Exercise really helps with stress in my opinion! I know it helps me a LOT!
  • pinkgigi
    pinkgigi Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    what everyone else said, distaction techniques are best. I only have skinny cow icecream in the fridge and allow myself one a day.

Good luck.

GG
  • kbanzhaf
    kbanzhaf Posts: 601 Member
    Options
    Me too.

I have two suggestions:
    1. Maybe it is time to "deep clean" your pantry, refrigerator, and freezer. Stock them with healthy food and snacks. That way, if you are stressed, at least you might be eating some fresh fruits or veggies instead of ice cream.
    2. Instead of heading for the pantry or refrigerator, head for the treadmill or outside for a walk. Just clearing your head while walking can help you deal with your stress in a much more positive manner.

Good luck. Stress has been a MAJOR part of my life for the last 12 years, beginning with the diagnosis and subsequent death of my husband from a brain tumor. It takes a lot of hard work to not head for food, and there are times I still do that. But for the most part, I make healthy decisions. Tonight was an anomaly, though. My supper was Wheat Thin crackers -- lots of them. LOL

Good luck!
    Kaye
  • 2004Jessica
    2004Jessica Posts: 113
    Options
    I eat what my son eats. Mac n, cheese, etc.
    :embarassed:
  • WifeMomDVM
    WifeMomDVM Posts: 1,025 Member
    Options
    I am the same. If I'm stressed - I mean, really, really stressed (my HR is up, I'm pacing) I want CHOCOLATE to deal. I've found I don't have to eat the whole box. A tablespoon of chocolate chips will do the trick. Just have ice cream in moderation? And then go exercise as another MFPer suggested!
  • chnkydnknmomma
    Options
    I have the same issue. the only advice I can give you is to put it in your head that you don't need it. A great way to do that, which works for me, is tracking your calories, etc...before you eat that ice cream or whatever, look at the amount of calories and fat in each serving. For me, knowing i have a certain amount of calories to eat, and knowing when I'm hungry I'm going to want to eat food, I usually say to myself, "is this (whatever food i think i want) worth this many calories and that much fat, etc?" It's a mindset. I am focused on getting this weight off, and I tell myself that the pint of Ben & Jerry's I want to eat is not worth the calories, or the hours of cardio I'd have to do to burn it off.

Focus on yourself, how you feel and what your goals are. Find a different way to deal with your stress, and even make better choices for those times you just can't resist...like frozen yogurt instead of real ice cream.

You CAN do it...we are all here to help!
  • MyNameIsNotBob
    MyNameIsNotBob Posts: 565 Member
    Options
    For me, knowing i have a certain amount of calories to eat, and knowing when I'm hungry I'm going to want to eat food, I usually say to myself, "is this (whatever food i think i want) worth this many calories and that much fat, etc?"

This helps. I enter everything I eat, and so I might enter the ice cream first and realize I won't have any calories for dinner.

(Which is why I always try to save 200 cal. for an evening treat!)
  • lots_to_lose
    Options
    Stress eating is probably the main thing that caused my weight gain, so I can relate. I try to tell myself that ice cream or chocolate or whatever doesn't make my problem/stress go away and that after eating it I'll still have the original problem, plus I'll have guilt over eating something that I didn't need or have calories budgeted for. I also try to the extent possible to not keep some of my go to stress eating foods around. I'm not buying ice cream right now. We have chocolate and I let myself have from 1/12 to 1/4 of a Hershey bar some days when I'm stressed/upset. I put the piece in my mouth and suck on it and let if melt without chewing to try to enjoy it as much as possible. I have heard it recommended to replace food with exercise or something else pleasurable to you when you are stressed (bubble bath, phoning a friend, etc.) but so far I have not been able to put that into practice. I am also trying to allow room for some sweet food every day so that I don't feel deprived and then binge later when I get stressed or upset.
  • wildmamatiger
    wildmamatiger Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    It's simply an oral fixation for me so gum and water are great!
  • sunrizes
    sunrizes Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Such a hard issue--emotional/stress eating. I tell you, if we could find a quick fix, we could be millionaires!

For the first time in a long time when I had a horribly stressful situation, I went on MFP and got some support instead of eating. After avoiding it the first time, now I KNOW that I can do something other than eat my way through painful and stressful situations. I have had many successes since (and some failures), but I'm getting better.

Good luck to you! I know you can do this--you've addressed the problem, admitted it to others (so now there is accountability), and are actively looking for solutions!
  • eternlgladiator
    Options
    I didn't used to be an emotional eater but I LOVED snacking. I've gotten rid of most of the bad snacks around the house and only have a few left. Just throw it away and you won't have a problem. You could try keeping it in the fridge so it melts, then if you want it you can put it in the freezer until it freezes and have some. If you still want it at that point that is.
  • bethany41h
    bethany41h Posts: 218
    Options
    The best thing I did for myself was get rid of all the junk in my kitchen and never buy it again. So when I get th urge to stress eat.... it's not available and I can talk myself out of getting in the car and going for something. I did a sugar detox recently and it has really helped to. It really cut the cravings for me and I was a total stress binger!
  • vold94
    vold94 Posts: 256
    Options
    Well for all of you who replied to my post, I thank you for your advice and stories. I will give them a try. Just to inform you that I did make it through the night without eating the ice cream, so I made it over this hurdle, now to try keeping going on a daily basis and maybe I'll have it beat! One day at a time!