Getting used to this whole thing (and was a bit disappointed

Options
I am doing what I have to in order to get my exercise in -
heck tomorow I have to walk my 5 y/o to school (as the others are going to be out voting) - thats 1 mile!

Ok - today I went on a bike ride - took us 25 min (and there was hills!!! not big ones but times where mmy legs were screaming)

came home

and only burned 150 calories

:(

when my legs get stronger I'm gonna have to go biking for hours to make a difference!

Replies

• AtlantisFish
    Options
    heck tomorow I have to walk my 5 y/o to school (as the others are going to be out voting) - thats 1 mile!

Ok - today I went on a bike ride - took us 25 min (and there was hills!!! not big ones but times where mmy legs were screaming)

came home

when my legs get stronger I'm gonna have to go biking for hours to make a difference!
  • BrandNewLaura
    BrandNewLaura Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options
    I totally understand...things that I used to burn 300-400 calories doing are now only burning 100-200 calories...it is a frustrating...but it means that your heart is getting healthier and you just need to find a new way to get your heart rate up! At least that's what everyone keeps telling me :tongue:
  • AtlantisFish
    Options
    oh it was killing me to bike it - i have not done it in years! but according to whats on here, thats as little as I burned!

I was sweatin and my HR was upt to 150!
  • BrandNewLaura
    Options
    Did you use a heart rate monitor or the calculators on here to determine your calories burned? A heart rate monitor is the most accurate, so you may have burnt more calories than you thought...
  • AtlantisFish
    Options
    Calculations on here, I am not sure hwo to do it w/ my HRM LOL (its just a cheepie - nothing special)
  • BrandNewLaura
    Options
    I'd read the instruction booklet and use that HRM for sure! Even being cheap, it will probably be a bit more accurate than here because it's based on your own weight and height and other pertinent info.
  • Fitness_Chick
    Fitness_Chick Posts: 6,648 Member
    Options
    oops double post....sorry:blushing:
  • Fitness_Chick
    Options
    oh it was killing me to bike it - i have not done it in years! but according to whats on here, thats as little as I burned!

OH no nononon! :drinker: :drinker: please don't give up....because.......:happy: :happy: :happy:

When you are able to get yourself a HRM to REALLY see what you're burning you will be AMAZED ..and I can almost guarantee that it won't be any 150 when you put your weight into your VERY OWN HRM...what a person that is 20 lbs. from goal burns and what a person that is 100 lbs. from goal...well, it's very different!! SO there ya go! You did AWESOME TODAY!! :flowerforyou:

As Laura was sharing, you have to work harder when your body gets in better shape....but so many wonderful things happen along the way that's it's SO worth it:flowerforyou:

I'm so sorry you're feeling discouraged:sad: I know how hard that can be... But seriously....keep in mind that the MFP excercise list is not straight across the board for everyone in the same way!! We're all individuals:bigsmile:

Now ya feelin a bit more positive!?? I sure hope so...:flowerforyou:

You you worked HARD getting on that bike (after so many years...be PROUD!), walking etc... a person in shape is going to need to do much much more excercise to burn the very same amount as you did in your biking etc!

Ok, that's all I got for now.....just got home from the gym myself...:laugh: and still need to find some dinner...and drink more water for the day:drinker:

Have a wonderful Day tomorrow Hon:heart: .....and keep in mind.... you are working toward building a healthy heart, a healthy lifestyle....this is a change for our entire lives...be patient as it will take time..but ohhhhhhhhh is it every worth IT!

...just keep on doing the great workouts you're doing!!

Big Hugs.....add me as a bud if you like...I'd love to be your friend:flowerforyou:
  • DjBliss05
    Options

Yeah, that definitely doesn't sound right to me. I'm sure you are burning a lot more than that.

Try it with the HRM.
  • Marla64
    Marla64 Posts: 23,120 Member
    Options

OH no nononon! :drinker: :drinker: When you are able to get yourself a HRM to REALLY see what you're burning...what a person that is 20 lbs. from goal burns and what a person that is 100 lbs. from goal...well, it's very different!!

As Laura was sharing, you have to work harder when you get more in shape....but so many wonderful things happen along the way that's it's SO worth it:flowerforyou:

I'm so sorry you're feeling discouraged:sad:

Feeling a bit redundant today, are we? :wink:

Feeling a bit redundant today are we? ? :wink: :wink:
  • Fitness_Chick
    Options

OH no nononon! :drinker: :drinker: When you are able to get yourself a HRM to REALLY see what you're burning...what a person that is 20 lbs. from goal burns and what a person that is 100 lbs. from goal...well, it's very different!!

As Laura was sharing, you have to work harder when you get more in shape....but so many wonderful things happen along the way that's it's SO worth it:flowerforyou:

snapoutofit.gif & another THING MARLA!BOBOwtongue.gif:bigsmile: :smooched:
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,080 Member
    Options
    Ms. Atlantis Fish

EXCELLENT EFFORT today! Keep it up. Fitness_Chick said it perfectly. said it perfectly.

Get back out there tomorrow, go five minutes or five blocks further. Yay YOU! :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
  • Marla64
    Marla64 Posts: 23,120 Member
    Options

:bigsmile: :bigsmile:
  • vanessadawn
    Options
    But your also gaining muscle, which will mean burning more calories throughout every day!
  • AtlantisFish
    Options
    thanks guys I'm gonna work on going a bit further tomorrow
    i'm hurtin tonight thats for sure
  • EvilPIB
    EvilPIB Posts: 334 Member
    Options

Off subject -- where do you get the animation? They are awesome and always make me laugh.
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    thanks guys I'm gonna work on going a bit further tomorrow
    i'm hurtin tonight thats for sure

Lil Miss Fish....Great work there! Believe me you are burning twice those calories. I would be discouraged (and not eating enough) prior to the HRM. Now I know what i burned, for sure.

It will get better...promise!
  • EvilPIB
    EvilPIB Posts: 334 Member
    Options

came home

You need to input your information in a heart rate monitor because you will soon find you are burning more than that.

Good for you for getting out there and doing something. :wink:
  • shorerider
    shorerider Posts: 3,817 Member
    Options

came home

First, GREAT JOB! thumbsup4kk.gifthumbsup4kk.gif

Second, if you're using the calculations on here, they go by mph to judge your exertion level. NOW, if you were doing hills, you're not going to be able to use that as a guide, because hills of any size will slow you down but you're still exerting. I HATE hills! :grumble: Where I live, it's flat but there's these little "slopes" that just kill me!

With cycling, you can pretty much count on burning from 450-600 calories an hour at least--I've burnt up to 700 in an hour.

I really suggest you get an HRM and use it--you could be cheating yourself out of a lot of calories.

AND, don't push it if your legs are hurting. Take a day off in between rides until you get used to it. AND, remember to stretch!!!!! Stretch before riding and then later in the evening of a ride. Stretching is very important!

Keep up the riding! It's addictive though--I started off with 4 miles and just did my first Century (100 miles in one day) the other week.
  • Nonibug
    Nonibug Posts: 1,214 Member
    Options

came home

First, GREAT JOB! thumbsup4kk.gifthumbsup4kk.gif

Second, if you're using the calculations on here, they go by mph to judge your exertion level. NOW, if you were doing hills, you're not going to be able to use that as a guide, because hills of any size will slow you down but you're still exerting. I HATE hills! :grumble: Where I live, it's flat but there's these little "slopes" that just kill me!

With cycling, you can pretty much count on burning from 450-600 calories an hour at least--I've burnt up to 700 in an hour.

I really suggest you get an HRM and use it--you could be cheating yourself out of a lot of calories.

AND, don't push it if your legs are hurting. Take a day off in between rides until you get used to it. AND, remember to stretch!!!!! Stretch before riding and then later in the evening of a ride. Stretching is very important!

Keep up the riding! It's addictive though--I started off with 4 miles and just did my first Century (100 miles in one day) the other week.