Fat Mentality

Options
Since high school, for the most part anyway, I have been overweight - and sometimes obese.

I weigh less now than I have in ages.

My clothes fit more loosely and I am even wearing smaller sizes.

People keep commenting on the changes.

So - why do I still see the fat chick when I look down at my legs in my jeans or when I look in the mirror?

I mean, I KNOW I have lost weight. Why am I the only one who doesn't see it?

Replies

• TiffanyDawn79
    TiffanyDawn79 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    Its all mental. Push the bad thoughts out. Just tell yourself every day when you look in the mirror that your beautiful. Soon you will believe the truth!
  • RTricia
    RTricia Posts: 720
    Options
    self-talk can be our best friend or our worst enemy.

I encourage you to find the source of the negative memory classmates, family, neighbor, etc), identify it, name it, and banish it.

Or, if easier, write yourself a love note each day - be it post-it note, email, card.... to mentally feed yourself with positivity - or better yet, surround yourself with positivity!!

Best of luck and be at peace....
  • oplik
    oplik Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Because there is no harsher critic than yourself. I have lost 45lbs and still get that but the scales dont lie. I am a much smaller waist and can fit into much smaller clothes.
    Keep going and one day you will just see it.
  • RTricia
    RTricia Posts: 720
    Options
    OOOOHHHH!!

AND CHANGE YOUR SCREEN NAME!!!!!! It's SCREAMING negativity!!
  • ldybugg
    ldybugg Posts: 134
    Options
    I'm constantly dealing with this, but the bad days get less frequent. It just takes time.
  • callipygianchronicle
    callipygianchronicle Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    Well, look at your screen name. Is there any reason you lack self love and appreciation for what you have accomplished when you have chosen to call yourself “fat b!tch?
  • 00trayn
    00trayn Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    It takes time for the brain to catch up to the rest of your body. I spent my entire life overweight and I've never known what it felt or looked like to be small. By all accounts, I'm smaller than the average person now and I still don't see it on occasion. I see the little muffin top above my jeans or the annoying bits that are making my bikini look not as good as I want. But I have to force myself to see the bigger picture that everyone else sees. They see a petite girl who doesn't look overweight at all, and the fact that I'm even able to wear a bikini is an accomplishment. I don't need or plan to look like a Victoria Secret model in it. Just look yourself in the mirror on occasion and reflect on how far you've come, not how far you still have to go.
  • Janworkingitout
    Janworkingitout Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    Well, look at your screen name. Is there any reason you lack self love and appreciation for what you have accomplished when you have chosen to call yourself “fat b!tch?

Right, a new screen name would be a step in the right direction. The power of life and death is in the tongue!!
  • Jill_newimprovedversion
    Options
    AND CHANGE YOUR SCREEN NAME!!!!!!
    [/quote]

AMEN! I'm not one to propose self love- because I can just as easily self-loathe. But I understand your frustration. I went through a period of anorexia in my life, and was UNDER weight- NOT HEALTHY either but was complimented often by my teeny tiny figure.
    And I STILL felt fat. It is all our own perception- and self deception. And not to sound preachy, but we're believing a lie that the enemy of our soul continually whispers to us to KEEP us in bondage....and his aim is to kill, steal and destroy. The truth sets you free.
    You are more than what you weigh, how you look. God looks at the heart. May what He sees there be revealed to you and your whole outlook on life be forever changed. That's something no one (even your own falterings) can alter.
  • MissTomGettingThin
    MissTomGettingThin Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    Since high school, for the most part anyway, I have been overweight - and sometimes obese.

I weigh less now than I have in ages.

My clothes fit more loosely and I am even wearing smaller sizes.

People keep commenting on the changes.

So - why do I still see the fat chick when I look down at my legs in my jeans or when I look in the mirror?

I mean, I KNOW I have lost weight. Why am I the only one who doesn't see it?

I could have written this!!
    I'm starting to come round though!
    The label in my jeans says 12. The ones in my profile pic say 16.
    You're doing good. xx
  • microwoman999
    microwoman999 Posts: 545 Member
    Options
    I still feel this way almost everyday and when I do I ask people around me "are you sure I am looking better" Most of them look at me funny like I am asking a stupid question. I am down 38 pounds and I saw it in the begining and now I can't see it anymore. I take it in stride and I feel that I have fat days and not fat days but I don't know when it will stop for me either.