New Running Shoes and their impact on your workout

Options
So I got a new pair of Asics Gels this week. I used to wear Nike Air Max Zooms, as that is what had sitting around. I know that the Asics are better for running/walking so that is why I went with those.

I walk at least a mile (sometimes more) on the treadmill every day. My feet used to kill when I had the Nikes and I couldnt wait to get those shoes off.

So I have worn the Asics twice so far. My feet are not killing me anymore, but my calves are BURNING!

I wonder if the Nikes had my feet in the wrong position or something, which caused me to be out of form or doing something wrong. Could the Asics have corrected that and now I am working as I should be?

I feel like my calves really have gotten a workout the last 2 days. Just wondering if anyone had any thoughts on how shoes impact your workout.

Thanks in advance! :huh:

Replies

• deesdigitaldelight
    deesdigitaldelight Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Oh thanks for sharing it with us. I did a couple hours of walking today and my feet were sooooo sore. I was wearing some old sneakers and even purchased some new ones today but they were cheaper sneakers (all I could afford) I will be looking for some inserts next payday. Thanks for the tip
  • Harpin_Maddog
    Harpin_Maddog Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    It is possible that you were compensating for the pain when you walked in the Nikes which caused you to walk in poor form. Now with different shoes you are adjusting your walk again since you may not be feeling the same pain.

You may want to check out runnersworld.com. They do a good job explaining the type of shoe you should get based on the type of feet you have.

For instance, I have mild flat feet. based on that I should be an overpronator. But when I had my feet tested at a local running store, I lean more towards a neutral pronation. So I buy shoes accordingly. I never have a problem with my feet this way.

Having shoes that create pain can cause biomechanical problems that can effect your knees, hips and core in an adverse way. You will want to get a shoe that is right for your foot type. Just my two cents.
  • Maidei
    Maidei Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I have that shoe too! It is amazing :drinker:
  • gailygail99
    gailygail99 Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    It is possible that you were compensating for the pain when you walked in the Nikes which caused you to walk in poor form. Now with different shoes you are adjusting your walk again since you may not be feeling the same pain.

You may want to check out runnersworld.com. They do a good job explaining the type of shoe you should get based on the type of feet you have.

For instance, I have mild flat feet. based on that I should be an overpronator. But when I had my feet tested at a local running store, I lean more towards a neutral pronation. So I buy shoes accordingly. I never have a problem with my feet this way.

Having shoes that create pain can cause biomechanical problems that can effect your knees, hips and core in an adverse way. You will want to get a shoe that is right for your foot type. Just my two cents.

thanks so much for the info! i did do some research and went to that website but i didnt have my feet actually tested. it might be something that i will do in the near future though. as for me walking in the wrong form before, that is probably spot on! thx again!
  • lacroyx
    lacroyx Posts: 5,754 Member
    Options
    people have different feet types and gaits. it's very helpful to go to a speciality shoe store and find out your feet/gait type. some brands of shoes work great for some and hurt others. even if you don't run and only walk, having a good shoe that supports your arch type really helps. If you don't have a shoe store with trained professionals, you can try this guide. I found it helpful and you can do it all from home!
    http://www.zappos.com/running-shoe-fit-guide
  • Wraiythe
    Wraiythe Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    I've been looking for a good shoe. The ones I have are the Rock n Fits that you get from K-mart....they were all I could afford. I hate them. They hurt my feet so badly. I wear them about 1/2 hour and i think I want to cry! I've been trying to find some good shoes. A friend of mine is a manager of a shoe store and he suggested the New Balance 608's. I haven't gotten a chance to get them, hoping to next payday. But I will definitely check out runnersworld.com as well, since I am clueless about what shoes are best for what I'm trying to do. Thanks!
  • deesdigitaldelight
    Options
    people have different feet types and gaits. it's very helpful to go to a speciality shoe store and find out your feet/gait type.

you can try this guide. I found it helpful and you can do it all from home!

Thank You for the link, I'll going to check it out now
  • deesdigitaldelight
    Options
    I think the fact that I have so much weight also has an effect on the way a pair of shoes work for me. Being over 300 pounds I find that the support is quite lacking (on the type of shoes I can afford anyways) and I wear them out alot faster too :cry:
  • gailygail99
    gailygail99 Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    people have different feet types and gaits. it's very helpful to go to a speciality shoe store and find out your feet/gait type. some brands of shoes work great for some and hurt others. even if you don't run and only walk, having a good shoe that supports your arch type really helps. If you don't have a shoe store with trained professionals, you can try this guide. I found it helpful and you can do it all from home!

i did do a little research about the shoes before hand, and my feet dont hurt now, but my calves aer burning! i guess they are working harder. who knows! thanks for the link though, i will check it out. :smile: