Too much protein and fiber

Options
I almost ALWAYS go over what it says for the fiber and protein recommendations.
Is that ok? I mean im still within carbs, fat, and calories.

Replies

• kmeekhof
    kmeekhof Posts: 456 Member
    Options

Yes. The levels of both are low, especially fiber.
  • Glitter_pumpkin
    Options
    Having too much protein is really bad so i would try to work on lower your intake but with fiber MFP's recommendation is fairly low so if you're not going over 50 grams a day or seeing any big problems then going over on fiber isn't really a big issue.
  • Xanadar
    Xanadar Posts: 23
    Options
    You can adjust your settings for fiber and protein if you want to go onto a diet that contains more of each. More fiber shouldn't be a problem, and as long as you are not feeling sluggish, it is ok to increase your protein intake. If you begin to feel tired, particularly during workouts, factor in some more carbs and you should see an energy increase.
  • amysj303
    amysj303 Posts: 5,086 Member
    Options
    I don't think there is such a thing as too much fiber, that target is more of a minimum, not a maximum. Likewise, protein is kinda low here, depending on your exercise, you might want as much as a gram of protein for every pound you weigh. That is my goal, but I cannot seem to get enough protein.
  • lilwashee
    lilwashee Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    im not sure why they have a so called fiber limit ,fiber is good for the body and helps you so u can have as much fiber as you want my dear! :)
  • YeaILift
    YeaILift Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    Having too much protein is really bad

why is that?
  • Pandorian
    Pandorian Posts: 2,055 Member
    Options
    Protein is set to 15% of your daily calories, I had to increase mine to 30% to get to my goal of 0.5 grams per pound of body weight (or basically 1 gram per kilogram if you use metric) I'll be boosting it further as I add more strength training.

Fiber is a recommended daily amount it's fine to go over mine I think is set to 40 grams a day I don't always get there but it's fine to go over the default.

If you want to change anything hit my home... goals.... change goals... custom.... enter the numbers you want (I'm using 40% carbs 30% protein 30% fat and 40 grams for fiber)
    Update
  • dragonbug300
    dragonbug300 Posts: 760 Member
    Options
    I find that they set both fiber and protein way too low. Frankly, it'd be difficult to actually get too much of either in modern times unless you're eating metamucil and protein powder straight from the tub.
    I have fiber set to 30g and protein set to 35% (but then, I do a lot of strength training)
  • chuckanderson
    Options
    Uh, the bad information on this site is just overwhelming.

I really doubt you're eating too much protein. Guy's should be 150+ and girls should be 100+. I'm getting sick of defending that statement, but if you want just take a look at any bodybuilding website and they'll tell you the same thing (1g protein per LBM)

Or, you can end up skinny-fat like most ppl on here. Your call.
  • kaveril422
    kaveril422 Posts: 116 Member
    Options

what is skinny-fat cause I think I want to avoid that...
  • dragonbug300
    dragonbug300 Posts: 760 Member
    Options

why is that?

Too much protein can cause kidney problems in the long-run. But then, you'd have to be eating a LOT of protein every day for years for that to happen.
  • peytjalmom
    Options

I really doubt you're eating too much protein. Guy's should be 150+ and girls should be 100+. I'm getting sick of defending that statement, but if you want just take a look at any bodybuilding website and they'll tell you the same thing (1g protein per LBM)

I think all that bodybuilding is making you cranky.:explode:
  • treena99
    treena99 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I try to get in a lot of Protein and Fiber daily. I am always over on both. I am trying to reduce my body fat so I try to get in at least or close to 100 grams of protein a day. When you take in a lot of Protein,.. you must drink PLENTY of water.
  • YeaILift
    YeaILift Posts: 580 Member
    Options

why is that?

Too much protein can cause kidney problems in the long-run. But then, you'd have to be eating a LOT of protein every day for years for that to happen.

Oh, is there any evidence supporting that claim?
  • kmeekhof
    kmeekhof Posts: 456 Member
    Options

I disagree with your amounts. Protein should be 0.8-1.2 grams/ kg body weight.
    Its one thing when you are body building, but for the avearage person who is looking to lose weight and/or maintain, but be lean and tone they should stick in that range. That means I shouldn't go over 74 g protein a day. Too much protein, just like fat and carbs is broken down into sugar and makes us fat.

Clearly though you are upset having to "defend" what you say.
  • pvega91
    pvega91 Posts: 2
    Options

I disagree with your amounts. Protein should be 0.8-1.2 grams/ kg body weight.
    Its one thing when you are body building, but for the avearage person who is looking to lose weight and/or maintain, but be lean and tone they should stick in that range. That means I shouldn't go over 74 g protein a day. Too much protein, just like fat and carbs is broken down into sugar and makes us fat.

Clearly though you are upset having to "defend" what you say.
    it doesn't matter where your calories come from, sugars, protein or fats, your not going to gain weight if you are in a calorie deficit.
  • humblemonkey
    humblemonkey Posts: 576 Member
    Options

I was JUST talking about this with my friend. The levels are WAY low. Espcialy fiber! I sometimes eat that much fiber before 11am!! IMO, too much fiber can't happen...and I'd rather go way over and my protein than be way over on something bad like....carbs or sugar or SODIUM. yuck.

good luck