Sugar/Butter

Options
Wanted to get some opinions on what everyone uses and why!!! Raw, refined, or artificial sweetner?? Butter, margarine, or something like smart balance spread?

Replies

• That_Girl
    That_Girl Posts: 1,324 Member
    Options
    Real sugar, real butter.

The other stuff is just chemicals. Bleh.
  • red01angel
    red01angel Posts: 806 Member
    Options
    I always use sugar and butter.
    They might be higher in calories, but I'd rather put natural foods in my body than ingest foods with man made chemicals in them.
  • monoxidechick
    Options
    When I really want sugar or something made with sugar I use the real thing in small amounts. Usually just plain white sugar, sometimes brown sugar or sugar in the raw packets. For my coffee I am way better at using the packet sizes because its portioned. I also use honey, agave syrup when I have it.

My husband loves butter and loves to put it in/on everything. I have cut him back LOTS, but that is what we generally use. Once again in SMALL doses!! For cooking it is usually olive oil.

I figure that a little of the real thing is better than more of the fake, processed, chemicals. I occasionally have products with fake sugar and butter in them such as sugar free red bull or sugar free coffee from the coffee bar, but I really try to limit this.

Just my thoughts and what I do.
  • megan_mp
    megan_mp Posts: 77
    Options
    Usually real sugar and ALWAYS real butter. Sometimes I put Splenda in my coffee, but I am trying to steer myself away from that...
  • Wakx
    Wakx Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Better still, where possible replace 'real sugar' for honey, which is nutritious as well as delicious. And, the rule is here: wild honey is better than farmed honey (different bee species, different flower species).

As for fats: it depends what you want to use it for.
  • miovlb6
    miovlb6 Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    Only real food for me too. I'd prefer to eat limited amounts of real butter and sugar or honey rather than the processed low-cal/low-fat stuff.
  • callipygianchronicle
    callipygianchronicle Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    If I bake, sugar. For my coffee and hot tea, I use agave nectar because it is lower on the glycemic index and I want to prevent the negative effects of high insulin releases. I use honey for some things, as well.

I use real, unsalted butter or olive oil.

I do not use any artificial sweeteners or hydrogenated oils (i.e. margarine). There are many reasons why I avoid these chemicals in my diet, but I hate when people get preachy about food choices, and I won’t do so here.
  • AngelicaDulas
    Options
    Only real food for me too. I'd prefer to eat limited amounts of real butter and sugar or honey rather than the processed low-cal/low-fat stuff.

Amen to that!!! :D REAL butter, nothing beats the taste. It's such a great food enhancer for some things in cooking. And I love the fireweed honey I buy from a small local farmer in Snoqualmie Valley, WA. SOOOooo good, it's amazing how delicate and light it tastes compared to the cloying heavy clover that you typically see on the shelves. Wild blackberry blossom honey is good too! :)
  • Pandorian
    Pandorian Posts: 2,055 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Butter... taste and ingredients I can recognize... cream and salt

Olive oil or hemp oil, looking into coconut oil, I started substituting butter for lard in recipes and most of them didn't change noticeably, then I went to olive or hemp oil in place of butter, stuff still comes out right ;)

Maple syrup is my go to but we have a stock of table-syrup right now, will get maple syrup back again.

Stevia or straight up sugar or honey when I need sweetener. Coffee and tea are now consumed black so no problems there ;)
  • miovlb6
    miovlb6 Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    Butter... taste and ingredients I can recognize...

Yep...if I can't pronounce it, I'm not eating it!
  • MeliciousMelis
    MeliciousMelis Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    I like real butter- it's one of the things I won't compromise on...just plan and accommodate for. (like cheese!)

As far as sugar- if I absolutely have to use it- like in baking, I go organic, but use honey for practically everything else. Have yet to try agave nectar.
  • sheetsofheaven
    sheetsofheaven Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the insight! All very helpful and totally in line with what I am doing!
  • auntiebabs
    auntiebabs Posts: 1,754 Member
    Options
    Okay this is going to sound dumb, but here goes. Because I'm generally a proponent of REAL FOODS

I like butter TOO MUCH. I switched to margarine ages ago because since I don't like it as much I use way less. (I do read labels to avoid hydrogenates and glycerides, etc.)

With sweetener really do try to steer clear of the artificial stuff. Just too much potential for badness there