HIIT on an elliptical

Options
Looking into and would love to start HIIT on the precor elliptical as well as the precor 100i instead of regular old cardio. Looking for suggestions on how a typical session might go... I would do probably 30 minutes but how do I work out the intervals? Would this be a good example: 1 minute then 30 seconds slower pace less resistance or 2 minute to 1 minute and repeat for 20-30 minutes?? Anyone else do this and have other ideas? Would greatly appreciate some ideas.

Replies

• anubis609
    anubis609 Posts: 3,966 Member
    Options
    I do MASSIVE HIIT routines on my elliptical. I will copy/paste a recent routine to one of my MFP friends.

There's a variety of ways to incorporate HIIT routines into the elliptical. Obviously good form, proper warm-up, and using the arms are prerequisites. Keep your abs taut throughout the routine, back straight as you don't wanna be slouching forward or leaning back, and a 5-minute warm up to get blood flowing are what will help the intensity process.

One method of increasing intensity is simply increasing speed. After the 5-minute slow to moderate pace of warming up, immediately go as fast as you can for the next 1 - 2 minutes [or as long as you can], then immediately go into a moderate recovery speed for about 2 - 3 minutes, then repeat the process of bursts of speed > recovery > speed > etc. for 15 - 20 minutes. While you increase the speed, make sure to be mindful of your form. Keeping your core engaged, you'll minimize arm flailing or too much swaying.

Another method of increasing the intensity is to increase resistance. This one will require much more use of the arm/hand holds to help propel you through the resistance level with the benefit of slight strength training. Again, after the warm-up, immediately bump up the resistance to one where you're able to do, but with a struggle. And do that increased resistance for the alloted 1 - 2 minutes [or as long as you can], immediately followed by a 2 - 3 minute recovery at a moderately lower resistance. And repeat for about 15 - 20 minutes. Core needs to be engaged for this one because form tends to collapse when you push through resistance rather than speed. Should your legs start feeling it, you can then start using your arms to propel you through the workout every now and then.

The third is basically just a combination of the first 2 methods. Increasing resistance + speed. The resistance will need to be increased high enough for you to struggle while going as fast as you can. Recover at a moderate pace and resistance. Again repeat for 15 - 20 minutes.

Now for a variation of any one of those 3 suggestions. This one requires the use of going backwards in-between intensity bursts. For any one of the methods aforementioned, propel forward for the initial intensity burst and recover period, then immediately propel backwards for the next intensity burst and recovery period, and repeat. This will engage almost all of the leg muscles and upper body when using the bars. Form is extremely important with your core actively engaged. It's very easy to get sloppy towards the end, as you should be feeling all types of burn from including the use of changing direction.

And lastly, I will describe to you MY specific routine. Because I've built up my endurance to this point, I immediately start off on the highest resistance level, even during my 5-minute warm-up.
    After my warm-up:
    > I switch directions and propel backwards as fast as I can for 1 - 2 minutes
    > Recover at a moderately fast pace for 1 minute
    > Switch it back propelling forward as fast as I can for 1 - 2 minutes
    > Recover at a moderately fast pace for 1 minute
    > Switch direction at a recovery pace for 1 - 2 minutes
    > Increase intensity for 1 - 2 minutes
    > Switch direction and recover for 2 minutes
    > Increase intensity for 1 - 2 minutes
    > Recover for 2 - 3 minutes ... [by this time, I'm already sweating my *kitten* off and in need of catching my breath]

And I'll repeat this process for however long I feel up to it. Generally my routines range between 15 - 30 minutes at such a short pace. If I decide to go longer, I'll increase the recovery times, but keep the intensity bursts and direction switches after every 5 minutes. I also time my workouts according to my music playlist, so I also have tracks arranged to recovery and intensity bursts. It helps with me with my timing.

From a HR standpoint, my HR is at a constant 135 minimum, and it jacks upwards to 160+ during the intensity bursts. I try not to do it for too long simply because the body will start to burn muscle [along with fat] the longer it stays at an elevated HR. So, for maximizing fat burn, I keep it relatively short.

For specificity's sake, I have a Reebok RL1500 at home which tracks calorie burns based on weight input, HR, and resistance level [also came with its own chest strap HRM specific to the machine], so I go by my elliptical's burn count, which are generally around 500 calories burned every 15 - 17 minutes, or between 30 - 33 cal/min.
  • christina_michelle
    Options
    bump
  • kasmir8199
    kasmir8199 Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    I liked how this guy explained it:
    http://www.thefatburner.net/articles/hiit.html
  • callipygianchronicle
    callipygianchronicle Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    Although not specifically a HIIT routine, I use the same Precor elliptical machine that you use at my gym. If you choose the Interval mode, it will automatically shift between Resistance 1/Incline 4 and Resistance 8/Incline 10. For a 25 minute workout the intervals are each about 90 seconds. You might want to try this for a few sessions before incorporating HIIT routines. You will still get a great and intensive workout.

No help with the 100i (I think it’s like the Arc trainer?). We don’t have it at our gym, so I have no experience. Good luck!

Edited to add:

I do the 25 min intervals session before yoga. If I am weight training or just pure cardio, I do 45 mins, but this means the machine automatically makes the intervals longer and less like a HITT routine.
  • ksmom27
    ksmom27 Posts: 19
    Options
    oooh! I have the best HIIT routine that I picked up online about a year ago its great! I always burn arund 400 calories in about 30 minutes. here is the routine I keep a sticky note on my machine at home with this routine, As you become better you can increase the max resistence. These resistence levels are based on a 10 max resistence, so you can adjust numbers to max on the machine you are using.

Min 1-5 Warm up with resistence 1-4
    Min 5-5:30 Resistence 8-10 which ever max you are ready for
    Min 5:30-6:30 4-5
    Min 6:30-7 8-10
    Min 7:00-8:00 4-5
    Min 8:00-8:30 8-10
    Min 8:30- 12:00 4-5
    Min 12:00- 12:45 8-10
    Min 12:45-13:45 4-5
    Min 13:45-14:30 8-10
    Min 14:30- 15:30 4-5
    Min 15:30- 16:15 8-10
    Min 16:15- 20:00 4-5
    Min 20:00 -21:00 8-10
    Min 21:00 - 22:00 4-5
    Min 22:00 - 23:00 8-10
    Min 23:00 - 24:00 4-5
    Min 24:00- 25:00 8-10
    Min 25:00 - 30:00 cool down I usually gradually work my way down from the Max resisitence like at 10 then reduce resistence by 2 each minute until I reach the distance or caorie goal I want to achieve but I alway can get over 400 calores burned and 3 miles by 35 minutes max.

Enjoy!!!! You can do it!!! And good luck!!!

Also changing the resistence mnually kind of helps keep the workout inteesting because your always watching the time and waiting for the next time when you change it so it motivates you and keeps you going until you reach your goal.
  • dave4d
    dave4d Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure which one I used today, but today I set it on intervals. level 10 for a minute, then level 15 for a minute. back to level 10, and so on. On my last minute, I upped the intensity to a level 18.

On the ones I usually use, I can't find an interval mode, but there is a random mode that I use. I usually set it for a level 12, or 13, then increase to 15, or 16 periodically as the machine also varies the intensity.

On my highest intensity I am using most of my strength in my arms, and legs to keep it going. I can barely maintain that for a minute.
  • austepants
    austepants Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much for the suggestions and example routines! I did my first HIIT today and I just kind of made it up bc I hadn't had the chance to check back on my post. I did:
    Min 1:00-2:30 Resistance 1 (my warm up)
    Min 2:30-3:30 Resistance 4
    Min 3:30-4:00 Resistance 1
    Min 4:30-5:30 Resistance 4
    Min 5:30-6:00 Resistance 1
    Min 6:00-7:00 Resistance 5
    Min 7:00-7:30 Resistance 1
    Min 7:30-8:30 Resistance 6
    Min 8:30-9:00 Resistance 1
    Min 9:00-10:00 Resistance 6
    Min 10:00-10:30 Resistance 1
    Min 10:30-11:30 Resistance 7
    Min 11:30-12:00 Resistance 1
    Min 12:00-13:00 Resistance 7
    Min 13:00-13:30 Resistance 1
    Min 13:30-14:30 Resistance 8
    Min 14:30-15:00 Resistance 1
    Min 15:00-16:00 Resistance 8
    Min 16:00-16:30 Resistance 1
    Min 16:30-17:30 Resistance 8
    Min 17:30-18:00 Resistance 1
    Min 18:00-19:00 Resistance 9
    Min 19:00-19:30 Resistance 1
    Min 19:30-20:30 Resistance 9
    Min 20:30-21:00 Resistance 1
    Min 21:00-22:00 Resistance 9
    Min 22:00-22:30 Resistance 1
    Min 22:30-23:30 Resistance 9
    Min 23:30-24:00 Resistance 1
    Min 24:00-25:00 Resistance 10
    Min 25:00-30:00 Resistance 1 (cool down)

I definitely felt the difference in my workout today than my usual cardio workout. I felt it in my abs and arms and of course legs. Once I got back to work I felt like I had been hit by a truck. As well as after my workout I felt more energy when I'm usually tired right after. I can't wait to try all of these examples of your workouts!! Let me know if u have any suggestions on mine. Obviously this was my first one.
  • Danielle817
    Danielle817 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • jmzz1
    jmzz1 Posts: 670 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • Laurenstratman
    Options
    I do the precor elliptical machine with moving arms and this is how it goes:

0-5 min Cross ramp 20/resistance 10
    5-6 min Cross ramp 20/resistance 11
    6-8 min Cross ramp 20/resistance 13
    8-9 min Cross ramp 20/resistance 15
    9-10 min Cross ramp 20/resistance 11
    10-12 min Cross ramp 20/resistance 13
    12-13 mins Cross ramp 20/resistance 15
    13-14 min Cross ramp 20/resistance 11
    14-16 min. Cross ramp 20/resistance 13
    16-17 min Cross ramp 20/resistance 15
    17-19 min Cross ramp 20/resistance 13
    19-20 min Cross ramp 20/resistance 11
    20-25 min Cross ramp 20/resistance 10

This is a killer workout and I never personally see people on the ellipticals doing as difficult of workouts as this one! It says I only burn around 350 calories though, according to the machine. Does anyone have an educated guess on how many calories this is burning if I keep speed around 132 strides per minute? I keep pace to Pandora hip hop and pop fitness station. I weigh 148
  • grantdumas7
    grantdumas7 Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    Technically it's almost impossible to do HITT on an elliptical. You can vary the speed and intensity but it's not the same as HITT. If you do HIIT correctly, during the high intensity part you should be going all out. Pretend a lion or bear is chasing you. If you can do over 30 sec on the high intensity part, you didn't push yourself enough.
  • Laurenstratman
    Options
    I do the precor elliptical machine with moving arms and this is how it goes:

0-5 min Cross ramp 20/resistance 10
    5-6 min Cross ramp 20/resistance 11
    6-8 min Cross ramp 20/resistance 13
    8-9 min Cross ramp 20/resistance 15
    9-10 min Cross ramp 20/resistance 11
    10-12 min Cross ramp 20/resistance 13
    12-13 mins Cross ramp 20/resistance 15
    13-14 min Cross ramp 20/resistance 11
    14-16 min. Cross ramp 20/resistance 13
    16-17 min Cross ramp 20/resistance 15
    17-19 min Cross ramp 20/resistance 13
    19-20 min Cross ramp 20/resistance 11
    20-25 min Cross ramp 20/resistance 10

This is a killer workout and I never personally see people on the ellipticals doing as difficult of workouts as this one! It says I only burn around 350 calories though, according to the machine. Does anyone have an educated guess on how many calories this is burning if I keep speed around 132 strides per minute? I keep pace to Pandora hip hop and pop fitness station. I weigh 148
  • saraovoxo
    saraovoxo Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Technically it's almost impossible to do HITT on an elliptical. You can vary the speed and intensity but it's not the same as HITT. If you do HIIT correctly, during the high intensity part you should be going all out. Pretend a lion or bear is chasing you. If you can do over 30 sec on the high intensity part, you didn't push yourself enough.

Actually, HIIT means raising your heart rate in intervals. It's not technically about speed. When I'm at Resistance 5 my heart rate is relatively low (but still in fat burning zone) and then for the high intervals I level up to R8+ and obviously my heart rate shoots up to 160+, they key though is to pace yourself. Keep your RPM at a good pace (but challenging) when on high intervals. On the low intervals keep the pace low but not so low that your heart rate is out of the fat burning zone. (You can look online for information on fat burning zones)

Also it's a good idea to switch directions during your elliptical workout! Going backwards works different muscles than going forwards (trust me you'll feel it) and I also like raising my arms over my head and off the machine and try to keep them up for the longest time possible. Really works on your core as your stabilising yourself on the elliptical machine.

I don't have a specific workout, I think it's really self-explanatory when you get on the machine, just switch between low and high resistance and timing them. The only thing that I keep in mind is that I never go below R5 and try and get to the highest resistance I can :)

Sometimes I like to raise the resistance each minute so starting from R5 then progressively go as high as I can each minute (usually R10) then shoot back down to R5 and repeat :)
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options

Actually, HIIT means raising your heart rate in intervals. It's not technically about speed. When I'm at Resistance 5 my heart rate is relatively low (but still in fat burning zone) and then for the high intervals I level up to R8+ and obviously my heart rate shoots up to 160+, they key though is to pace yourself. Keep your RPM at a good pace (but challenging) when on high intervals. On the low intervals keep the pace low but not so low that your heart rate is out of the fat burning zone. (You can look online for information on fat burning zones)

No that is just interval training, which HIIT is a form of. True HIIT, which is all about VO2 max, can't really be done on machines such as elliptical and treadmill and exercise bike.
    Also it's a good idea to switch directions during your elliptical workout! Going backwards works different muscles than going forwards (trust me you'll feel it) and I also like raising my arms over my head and off the machine and try to keep them up for the longest time possible. Really works on your core as your stabilising yourself on the elliptical machine.

I don't have a specific workout, I think it's really self-explanatory when you get on the machine, just switch between low and high resistance and timing them. The only thing that I keep in mind is that I never go below R5 and try and get to the highest resistance I can :)

Sometimes I like to raise the resistance each minute so starting from R5 then progressively go as high as I can each minute (usually R10) then shoot back down to R5 and repeat :)
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options

Technically, that is true. However, the workouts described in this thread, while they might not meet the Official HIIT Purity Standards, are likely much more appropriate and effective for the individuals who are doing them.

Higher-duration, higher-intensity but still sub maximal interval workouts can be highly effective for both weight loss and fitness improvement. They are workouts that are more achievable by beginners and those who are less fit, can be included more often in a weekly routine, and have a lower injury risk.
  • mariabee
    mariabee Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    Bump - good ideas here.