Heart Rate Monitor

Options
Thinking of getting one....
A: Do I really need it?
B: Any suggestions on models that are a good buy?
C: Any other tips that you'd be willing to share on the subject.

Thanks, guys!

Replies

• rwalden628
    Options
    Thinking of getting one....
    A: Do I really need it?
    B: Any suggestions on models that are a good buy?
    C: Any other tips that you'd be willing to share on the subject.

Thanks, guys!
  • emorym
    emorym Posts: 344
    Options
    First off Let me just say I have one. Many people exercise without one and do just fine. Here are some reasons I love to have mine when I exercise.

I can keep track of how hard I really worked out.
    I like to see the calories I burned.
    I like to see what my average and max heart rates were and even while exercising.

I have a polar f11 model and it works great. They have a website where you can download the results of your workout and make little notes. What I usually do is to download my watch and then transfer the numbers into MFP. The HRM keeps me honest. if I slack off a little while working out it shows up at the end of my workout. Not all 1 hour spinning classes are equal. Now you have a way to tell.
  • mrsyac2
    mrsyac2 Posts: 2,784 Member
    Options
    i just ordered mine I dont know which polar it was but I know its a polar it was 80 something dollars- I think it will be great to know what my exact calories burned are rather than just estimating on MFP no offense= I feel it will benefit me in my weightloss journey- if you do get one get one that calculates calories burned as well
  • ironweber717
    Options
    Stick with Polar. They are the very best and most gym cardio equipment have Polar receivers built in so all you have to do is wear the band and it transmits to your display. A simple one would be the F series. basic function of measuring and you can set high and low. I find myself using this one most often. I have a S series also that does a ton of stuff but it can get pricy. Check eBay and a F series is in the $50 range I think.
  • Fitness_Chick
    Fitness_Chick Posts: 6,648 Member
    Options
    Stick with Polar. They are the very best and most gym cardio equipment have Polar receivers built in so all you have to do is wear the band and it transmits to your display. A simple one would be the F series. basic function of measuring and you can set high and low. I find myself using this one most often. I have a S series also that does a ton of stuff but it can get pricy. Check eBay and a F series is in the $50 range I think.

ironman...thanks for the input...nice to know it might be within my price range when I'm ready to pick one up:drinker: :happy:
  • jadaigle
    jadaigle Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I had a Polar F11 and just upgraded to a RS200. The downside to a Polar is you have to send it in to change the battery but when you are ready for a new one, you can trade in your old one and get a new one for up to 40% off. Also, if you swim, don't press any buttons under water of it won't last as long. You can probably get away with getting an F6 (although it might be called F7 now). Fewer features but if you're not doing lots of training you don't need a lot of the other features. Also, I recommend getting one that is coded, especially if you are working out in a gym or around other people. That way their HRMs will not be read by your HRM.

Having a HRM is great so you can track your fitness level and your calories. I wore mine the other while I was running up and down the stairs in my house doing laundry and putting clothes away just to see how much I burned and it was more than I expected.
  • Fitness_Chick
    Fitness_Chick Posts: 6,648 Member
    Options
    I had a Polar F11 and just upgraded to a RS200. The downside to a Polar is you have to send it in to change the battery but when you are ready for a new one, you can trade in your old one and get a new one for up to 40% off. Also, if you swim, don't press any buttons under water of it won't last as long. You can probably get away with getting an F6 (although it might be called F7 now). Fewer features but if you're not doing lots of training you don't need a lot of the other features. Also, I recommend getting one that is coded, especially if you are working out in a gym or around other people. That way their HRMs will not be read by your HRM.

Having a HRM is great so you can track your fitness level and your calories. I wore mine the other while I was running up and down the stairs in my house doing laundry and putting clothes away just to see how much I burned and it was more than I expected.

Whoa...wait a sec.....they do have HRM you can use in the water??? Oh how cool that would be for me...details please! Thanks for anyone with more on this tidbit:drinker:
  • ironweber717
    Options
    All Polar HRM can be used in the water. So if you swim you can manage you HR and calories burned. It is true that if you use your HRM at the gym you could get the code from another person. I just use the transmitter and use the display on the cardio machine. I don't use the watch. I have a S210 that I am sending out today for a battery and it's $25 plus shipping. The battery life is about 2 years. When the transmitters go out you send the whole transmitter in and they replace it for around $40.

I plan on getting a new one next year that is downloadable to your computer. You can then track your fitness and also set up fitness programs. I read a book not to long ago that was training with a HRM. It was good to understand how to use one to optimize your training. $16 at Borders.

I personally believe that a HRM is one of the best purchases you can make in getting the results you want. It is true about your usage and effort.
  • cravune
    cravune Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Polar is the one.

However you need to use the watch and the band as most machines are not accurate even if you wear the band.

Get one bought though, the best way to keep track of your exercise results:smile:
  • jonasgrey
    Options
    Just using the hrm band to rely on cals burned from the cardio equipment is a complete waste of time you might as well chuck the thing in the bin. You need to use your watch as this has more accuracy by taking brief fitness details and your inc your vo2 max which would give you a more realistic work out conclusion. Polar are the best tho i will agree with that.
  • SGFlyinHi
    SGFlyinHi Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    Just using the hrm band to rely on cals burned from the cardio equipment is a complete waste of time you might as well chuck the thing in the bin. You need to use your watch as this has more accuracy by taking brief fitness details and your inc your vo2 max which would give you a more realistic work out conclusion. Polar are the best tho i will agree with that.

I agree.

I have an F11, and I use it at the gym all the time. Even though the machines show my heartrate because I am wearing the transmitter, the cals burnt are completely different from the watch to the machine. The machines always seem to overestimate.
  • clewliss
    clewliss Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    Oh, couldn't live without mine now! I've had it two weeks and LOVE:heart: Love it! I was counting OVER on my calories before I got mine and since I've been using it, I can tell a difference. I also find that it is the most motivating object I have!!!! I have a Polar F6 pink coral. Also, the site didn't really clarify, but it does come with a chest strap and it's pretty comfy to me! I would highly recommend it for anyone. It's a great gift for Santa if he's needing ideas, too. Cost around 110.00 and worth every penny of it. Glad you asked:happy:
  • hmo4
    hmo4 Posts: 1,673 Member
    Options
    Hi, I have a Mio wrist HRM, and have checked with other equipment and it's quite accurate. I love it cause no chest strap and it has tons of other features such as calorie count, counts the calories down until a pound would be lost, you can record your caloric intake and it`ll keep track and target for you till you lose what you want to.,etc. The odd time it`s slow to pick up your HR, but you just have to make sure you`re damp under it to for optimal pick up. There`s lots of syles and ones with different features. Check the web site and also ebay. I got mine shipped to Canada for $90.00. Came with 2 interchangable bands. Definetly get one though. They`re great!:wink: hm4
  • pettmybunny
    pettmybunny Posts: 1,986 Member
    Options
    I received a Timex HRM for my birthday. I like that I can just glance and see how I'm doing. But it tells me I burn 700 to 800 calories in a half hour on the elliptical. Then, that I burn another 700 when I'm lifting weights. That's double or triple what the machines or MFP tells me. Then again, maybe that was why when I was using those calorie counts I was losing weight well (3 lbs in one week) and when I started using the HRM counts, I quit losing so much (only 1 lb this week). I do know that the monitor is accurate for my heart rate, just not sure on the whole calorie thing... And yes, I did program in my weight and age and stuff....
    -Robin
  • jadaigle
    jadaigle Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    The only HRM I've ever used is a Polar. I love it. I used the F11 for 4 years and Polar was very good about fixing it for me but when it got all scratched up, I traded it in. Plus, I do more endurance stuff and really wanted something that would track my miles so I don't spend all of my time on map my run trying to figure out how far I've gone. I would recommend the F11 but it can be pricey and if you're not doing serious training it has a lot of features you might not use.

I used both swimming. Like I said, as long as you aren't pressing the buttons under water you'll be fine.