If you exercise outdoors, does the weather deter you?

Options
Curious about how others handle bad weather and exercising. If you don't have access to a gym or your own equipment (I have neither) and exercise exclusively outdoors, what, if any, weather will derail your exercise plans? I walk/run and spring here is rain rain rain and relatively cold, and so far I've been staying in when it rains, but today I saw a couple of people jogging during a thunderstorm (no lighning as far as I could tell) and started thinking I should just toss on a windbreaker and go anyway, barring lightning or a blizzard (which hopefully we're past until next winter!). How do you handle it? If there's some weather that keeps you inside and some that doesn't, where's your line? Thanks in advance for sharing!

:heart: -- Juliet

Replies

• Pandorian
    Pandorian Posts: 2,055 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Walking I'll do in the rain. If it's thundering though I'll stick inside for body-weight type exercises... ie squats and others that don't require equipment
  • Redheadedsunshine
    Redheadedsunshine Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Like you, I can't afford a gym/equipment so I must take it to the streets. Truthfully, I'm relatively new to exercising outside (2 or so months) and I generally walk/run no matter what, with the exception of once where it was hardcore downpouring the entire day. Other than that, I'm outside when it's cold/light-medium rain. My hoodies are amazing although when I progress, I will invest in some more weather appropriate apparel. Most days, I don't even notice the weather. Althought, I will say this... I hate the wind! :-)

Good luck!
  • Enigmatica
    Enigmatica Posts: 879 Member
    Options
    I'm in Arizona, so rain is rarely a problem. If it's just a light rain I'll go and most likely consider it a treat. But if it's pouring and/or lightning out there, HECK NO!!!

Summer heat is the big issue around here. When it's really hot I might leave the house at 4:30AM to walk for 70-90 minutes before work. I do not walk in the middle of the day, middle of the summer... that's asking for heat stroke. But I have seen people out there JOGGING at 2pm in 115 degree weather. I think that's insane but a lot of folks say that about me heading out at 4:30 in the morning too, lol.
  • believetoachieve
    believetoachieve Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    I'm from Canada, and I've seen people exercising in the most INSANE weather. Honestly, when there's 2 feet of snow and it's -50, NOBODY should be running outside, in my opinion! But people still do it, lol. To me, I need to be comfortable when I'm working out. If I'm not, I'll start to resent it, which means I'll slack, and eventually be right back where I started.

The right clothing makes all the difference. Otherwise, go by what your body (and mood!) have to say about it! :smile:
  • aeckels616
    aeckels616 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    I will NOT run in the rain or if there's snow or ice on the ground (too nervous about losing my footing). If it's cloudy, I'm not as interested in running - it's pretty cold here - but I have done it anyway. I won't run if it's below 30 degrees because I just don't have the clothing to keep me warm but still allow freedom of movement. I won't run if it's above 80 degrees because I'm a wuss. On days I can't (or won't) run, I stick to workout videos.
  • mogenfire
    mogenfire Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I live in Seattle, so I can't let the weather keep me inside, or I'd never go out! There's no such thing as bad weather, just bad clothing for the weather. :)
  • Mightytaco84
    Mightytaco84 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Dress for the occasion, unless if there's lightning.