A message from a new exerciser...

Options
This may sound pathetic, but I'm extremely weak. I'm a female, 5'6, 135 lb. I'd like to lose 10-15 lbs. My main goal is to be able to RUN! I can only run about 3 blocks well rested without taking a break to walking. What should I begin with to get stanima and burn off excess fat?
Also, I don't know any good strength training. I can't even do a full push up, just the girl style ones. I have no equipment, and can not afford any. Thanks in advance.

Replies

• cmrmure
    cmrmure Posts: 7
    Options
    You might want to try pilates and yoga. You can usually find it on a TV channel and there are a lot of modifications for beginners. It will be a good thing to start with. Also, just walking will strengthen your body. Try to walk moderately fast for as long as you can and then be sure to add time or speed when it doesn't feel challenging anymore. Good luck!
  • cna93
    cna93 Posts: 5
    Options
    Thank you! I do some of the yoga poses from Wii Fit, cause my batteries died and I never replaced it. And I didn't really think about just power walking.
  • rockasparx
    Options
    There are free workouts on Exercisetv.com and a workout plan go for it.:drinker: CHEERS!
  • cna93
    Options
    Okay, I will check those out too. Thank you (:
  • chuckyp
    chuckyp Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    Best way to be able to run more is to run more. Run as far as you can, even if you're running slow. When you have to walk, walk. When you catch your breath, run some more.

Same with push ups. Do girl-style push ups until you can do a lot of them and work your way up to doing one or two real push ups. Then just keep doing those until you can do more and more of them.

Your body will adapt to the demands you place on it.
  • katerinab
    katerinab Posts: 107
    Options
    Buying a couple of hand weights wouldn't cost much, especially if you got them on sale. I know the set of 5# weights I got at Target were less than $10 on sale, and the 2# and 3# are cheaper yet. Then go to the library and check out fitness DVDs.
  • cna93
    Options
    These are some great tips. As far as running, I try to keep going, but sometimes my chest starts hurting sooo bad by the time I can't go anymore it's terrible.
  • MsLisaB
    MsLisaB Posts: 256
    Options
    Best way to be able to run more is to run more. Run as far as you can, even if you're running slow. When you have to walk, walk. When you catch your breath, run some more.

Same with push ups. Do girl-style push ups until you can do a lot of them and work your way up to doing one or two real push ups. Then just keep doing those until you can do more and more of them.

Your body will adapt to the demands you place on it.

I agree with this.

Also, you could try using a Couch to 5km running program. Cool Runnings has a good one here: http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml or just Google "C25K" and you'll come up with a heap. Also try Googling "Body Weight Resistance Exercises" and you come up with plenty of options for working out at home.

Good luck :flowerforyou:
  • cna93
    Options
    That link seems extremely useful, I'm definaintly going to try this as my workout.
  • Jonesie1984
    Jonesie1984 Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    When I was a starving student and couldn't afford hand weights I would use cans..you can use the small ones and when you need to "up" your weight use a larger can..stuff you already have. And a gallon of water/milk is about 8.5 pounds..be resourceful! And interval training (run for let's say 30-60 seconds then walk for 2 mins and repeat) is a great way to build stamina! Also..be consistent!!
  • SaraTonin
    SaraTonin Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    Make sure you're breathing regularly (as opposed to hyperventilated breathing) and not overdoing it during your running - if your chest is still hurting, maybe you might have asthma. But really, over time, your lungs should adjust as they gain better lung capacity from breathing hard.
  • chuckyp
    chuckyp Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    Also keep in mind that the first few minutes of your run can be the hardest. It often feels better after you get warmed up and get your breathing right.