weird question

Options
i dont really know how to word this but i need help. hmm.. so if you eat "unhealthy" food & you are still under your daily quota will you still lose weight orrrrr does it always have to be " healthy" foods non stop? im just becoming confused on this. i understand the importance of nutrition and nutritional values & everything. sometimes im not in control of whats being made for dinner but i eat much less of what is made & still get under my goal

Replies

• AnAverageGamer
    Options
    http://www.cnn.com/2010/HEALTH/11/08/twinkie.diet.professor/index.html

My girlfriend mentioned that article to me once. Take from it what you will... It's hard to guess.
  • believetoachieve
    believetoachieve Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    Ultimately, you want to maintain a deficit, but to do it while getting your appropriate nutrients. However, you don't want to be eating badly, as that can have other consequences. It depends what you consider "unhealthy". If your fat/sodium/calories/etc are within range (give or take), then you're okay! Try to get your fruits/veggies in, and take a multivitamin. No one's perfect in their eating :smile:

Can you give some examples of your unhealthy foods??
  • Terri73
    Terri73 Posts: 238
    Options
    Not and expert but i've heard you can to a degree. I always ate rubbish as long as i was in my goal but the weight didnt really come off.
    I think it depends on the person personally i have stopped eating rubbish (not totally but a lot less than i used to) in the last week and seen a dramatic change to my weight loss.

I do think people are different and what method works for some may not work for others. So although i listen to advice i tend to trust what my body tells me.
  • believetoachieve
    believetoachieve Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    But the short answer is yes, you'll still lose, if it's short term. I eat at restaurants and slip up every now and then, but I'm still losing. In moderation, it's okay, usually! Remember that sodium (often found in "bad" foods) adds water weight!
  • mariahruby
    mariahruby Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Well you can take a look at my food diary if it would help. And i do take vitamin c & womens one a day active metabolism
  • scarletleavy
    scarletleavy Posts: 841 Member
    Options
    There are people who lose weight eating smaller amounts of unhealthy food and I think that's fine for short term results. I think in the long term and in terms of health though that eating healthy foods is better for you, but I also think it's also about doing your best with what you have.

The way you worded your post implies that maybe you are still living at home with your parents or living with someone who does the cooking? I'm actually the same way and it's been a difficult year for me trying to get everything under control for myself. My parents eat entirely different kinds of foods. My dad is happiest with meat on a sandwich and some kind of potatoes on the side, maybe some rice or a few vegetables, drenched in olive oil or some kind of dressing, multiple servings of course. He also loves his desserts. I just couldn't live like that so I started making some small changes. Preparing myself something extra on the side to replace the unhealthy portions of what they are eating. If they're having some sort of chicken, I'll ask for them to cook it without the sauce or melted cheese and will have it with something I have made. Maybe something like this could work for you?
  • jakenjen
    jakenjen Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hi,
    All foods are "healthy" in moderation. Look up "Treatwise" basically you do not have to give up chocolate, have a "Funsize" bar instead of a full one, Try Baked crisps instead of Fried, and the great thing about this site is that it shows more than just calories, so if you stay under goal for Calories, Fat, Saturated fat, Carbohydrates, and Sugars, you should lose weight, however I have to exercise also.
    Good luck!:flowerforyou: