SUGAR ALWAYS IN THE RED-WITH FRUIT!!!

Options
Hi guys I have just switched sugar on my food diary and it has been in the RED EVERYDAY!!!, One day I went over by 150! No wonder I have not lost weight for 2 weeks.

I am so confused, I notice fruit is high in sugar, like a banana is 11 and I like to have fruit packs, I had 2 the other day thinking it was a healthy lunch which totalled to 60 in my sugar. I thought fruit is good and equally I thought we are meant to have nine a day, I was so surprised to learn how much sugar is in corn and the cob!!!

What’s more important adding up the calories or the sugar??? on the days I ahve gone over I have still been below my calories count.

I am now giving up Oat & Honey Bars, Weight watchers are a con too their Belgian brownies, Vanilla mouse is so high in sugar and so is fruit corners, which I have been eating daily!! Oh my gosh these people are seriously conning people, I am so upset!!
;-( I have just given everyone in my office a Oat & honey bar, I have 2 left now!

I’m also giving up nuts!! WTH can I eat!!

Thank you

Replies

• lynda167
    lynda167 Posts: 7
    Options
    Not all fruits are as high in sugar - berries and green apples are pretty low. Just try making some switches!
  • 1FitMomof4Girls
    1FitMomof4Girls Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    Curious
  • Cilenia
    Cilenia Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    id like to know this too!
  • amandakoorime
    Options
    There is good sugar and bad sugar. Most fruits have good sugars and nearly anything that has been processed by humans tends to have bad sugar. I don't really know more than that. I'd suggest looking up sugar information or talking to a doctor or nutritionist for better information.
  • pinksherbert
    pinksherbert Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Sorry, my response is not going to be so helpful, but I am really interested in the answer myself. I did exactly the same (switched on my sugars) yesterday and found that even my daily banana with oatmeal is taking up most of my RDA so I am always likely to be over.

I am certainly struggling with getting the balance right - I seem to go over frequently on carbs but often be under on fats. I really want to get more good fats into me as I have dry skin and figure this should help, but I dont know how to eat more of them and not go over on cals.

x
  • Grokette
    Grokette Posts: 3,330 Member
    Options
    Hi guys I have just switched sugar on my food diary and it has been in the RED EVERYDAY!!!, One day I went over by 150! No wonder I have not lost weight for 2 weeks.

I am so confused, I notice fruit is high in sugar, like a banana is 11 and I like to have fruit packs, I had 2 the other day thinking it was a healthy lunch which totalled to 60 in my sugar. I thought fruit is good and equally I thought we are meant to have nine a day, I was so surprised to learn how much sugar is in corn and the cob!!!

What’s more important adding up the calories or the sugar??? on the days I ahve gone over I have still been below my calories count.

I am now giving up Oat & Honey Bars, Weight watchers are a con too their Belgian brownies, Vanilla mouse is so high in sugar and so is fruit corners, which I have been eating daily!! Oh my gosh these people are seriously conning people, I am so upset!!
    ;-( I have just given everyone in my office a Oat & honey bar, I have 2 left now!

I’m also giving up nuts!! WTH can I eat!!

Thank you

Eat more veggies in place of the fruit and have a piece of fruit in the evening for dessert.

It is more important to have lots of veggies in your daily eating plan and think of fruit as Nature's candy, which means it should not be eaten in too many servings.
  • Grokette
    Options
    There is good sugar and bad sugar. Most fruits have good sugars and nearly anything that has been processed by humans tends to have bad sugar. I don't really know more than that. I'd suggest looking up sugar information or talking to a doctor or nutritionist for better information.

No, sugar is sugar. The body doesn't say........hmmmm this is a candy bar, I am going to secrete insulin. Hmmmm, this is fruit, I won't secrete insulin.

Incorrect!!! The body is going to have an insulin response in both cases because both fructose and sucrose cause the body to secrete insulin. Too much protein can have the same effect.

Yes, please research it. You will find that sugar is sugar no matter what form it is in.
  • Glitter_pumpkin
    Options
    Your body breaks down every single food you eat into sugar. Fruits are high in good sugar and should be eaten alone and only in the morning when your body is just starting to wake up since fruit doesn't digest in your stomach, it's the only thing that doesn't. Fruit is 100% energy and it doesn't make you gain weight since it's mostly water. As for processed fruits and everything with added sugar, they all have bad sugar in them that should be limited because you body has to work harder with it and it's more likely to be stored as fat. So any fruit that isn't raw, like fruit cups, juices and anything that is processed and didn't come right from a plant. Things like the weight watchers desserts and everything isn't that great either and if you're not losing weight then maybe you she get rid of them. As for counting sugar you should only be adding up the processed sugar and you can subtract the fruit and veggie sugar because it doesn't hurt your body since your body needs it.
  • Grokette
    Options
    Your body breaks down every single food you eat into sugar. Fruits are high in good sugar and should be eaten alone and only in the morning when your body is just starting to wake up since fruit doesn't digest in your stomach, it's the only thing that doesn't. Fruit is 100% energy and it doesn't make you gain weight since it's mostly water. As for processed fruits and everything with added sugar, they all have bad sugar in them that should be limited because you body has to work harder with it and it's more likely to be stored as fat. So any fruit that isn't raw, like fruit cups, juices and anything that is processed and didn't come right from a plant. Things like the weight watchers desserts and everything isn't that great either and if you're not losing weight then maybe you she get rid of them. As for counting sugar you should only be adding up the processed sugar and you can subtract the fruit and veggie sugar because it doesn't hurt your body since your body needs it.

This is misinformation and a myth.

There is no such thing as "good" sugar. And after having nothing to eat for hours you should not feed your body sugar upon waking and it is known that fruit should always be eaten with a protein or fat source to minimize the insulin spike. You could be posting to people that have blood sugar issues and what you have posted could be a sure fire way of making their blood sugar even higher.

And all fruit is not mostly water.

Ummm, do you understand the digestion process? Digestion starts in the mouth with everything single thing you eat, then goes to the stomach and works through the whole digestive track. All foods are digested through the entire digestive track from the mouth to the colon..................I will spare the "details".
  • Mmmary212
    Mmmary212 Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    Fruit is natures dessert....treat is as such. You don't eat dessert all the time, you don't need to eat fruit all the time. Like it's been said, sugar is sugar, from an apple or a twinkie.
  • longtallted
    longtallted Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Mmmmm... Twinkie!
  • Grokette
    Options
    Fruit is natures dessert....treat is as such. You don't eat dessert all the time, you don't need to eat fruit all the time. Like it's been said, sugar is sugar, from an apple or a twinkie.

Yep, Yep so true.

Fruit = Nature's candy.

This is my opinion and my opinion only ****Disclaimer and warning for the sensitive so no one will be offended ****

I personally believe that the whole "everything in moderation" saying is just an excuse to not clean up one's lifestyle and eating plan.

If a person is TRULY interested in getting healthy, it would not be hard to ditch the crappy processed junk foods and opt for fresh meats, vegetables, fats and then some fruit. Foods that have to be washed, cut, cleaned and cooked.
  • SweetBeth
    SweetBeth Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    ^^^ I wish there was a like button. ;-)
  • Charlea1981
    Charlea1981 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone, very helpful, I think I will minimise fruit, did not have any today and I am defo giving up on all the above I stated earlier.

A lady I know went to a health farm recently she spent £1000 and lost a stone in a week, upon arriving home she was ill, went to the GP they took her sugar and found out she was now pre-diabetic, the GP asked what she had been doing, it turned out she ate fruit in Large amounts daily on this retreat!!!!

Therefore, fruit is natural but can give you diabetes so its true Sugar is Sugar!!!!
  • MyNameIsNotBob
    MyNameIsNotBob Posts: 565 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem with sugars... going over too often, mostly with fruit. I figure that the health benefits of fruit outweigh the risks of not eating it. (Fiber, Vitamins... low cal / filling). I just try to stay low-sugar on everything else (cereals, even non-sweetened ones, are often other culprits, as is milk & yogurt... some of my staples.) Oh, well. :(
  • Mmmary212
    Mmmary212 Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    I think fruit tastes good...but to me, it offers no satisfaction in my belly, therefore I just move onto the next food, causing nothing but the opposite of what I'm aiming for.

I'm in week 3 of removing majority of the sugar from my diet, and I keep my sugar average of 10 grams per day. At first it was hard, but after 2-3 days of "flushing" it out of my system and realizing how great I feel without it, I don't miss it.
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    I eat fruit daily.. but thats because I have a huge sweet tooth and if I'm not eating that then I'm eating junk, which is worse for you than the fruit.

That being said, try to find fruits that are low in sugar or eat an apple that has fiber which will give you the sweet but also help keep you full.
  • kafoteh
    kafoteh Posts: 18
    Options
    As a fruit lover, I always see myself in the red with sugar. I'm currently working with a personal trainer, and I showed him my grocery list, and he scratched off half of my fruit. He told me to pick 3-4 fruit to eat until my next shopping trip (I chose grapefruit, berries, bananas and apples). Make sure the fruit you are eating is not packaged or processed. He also told me not to eat my fruit (or carbs) after four. This is so hard for me, but if I'm craving sugar in the evening, I opt for a banana instead of ice cream...I'm sure he wouldn't mind that!

Another thing to think about it PORTION! Eating two packets of fruit with over 60 g of sugar is over-indulgent. Look at your diary as a bank account and balance it appropriately. For example, I usually eat my fruit earlier in the day and just before 4 as my snack. I have about 2-3 servings per day.

Subbing fruit for veggies and nuts can also help you. I have to disagree with you on giving up nuts! They are a satisfying snack (again think PORTIONS) with healthy fats and protein that can help you stay fuller longer. Don't give up on fruit and nuts--just keep portions in mind!

Hope this helps!
  • ImperfektAngel
    ImperfektAngel Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    I rarely eat fruit these days, I like to eat lots and would rather go for foods with less carbs that are more filing :D