I'm losing motivation!

Options
I have only been on this site for 5 days and already I'm craving junk food! I've not had any chocolate yet but i'm sooo craving some chocolate! Do you think one bar of chocolate will make a difference as long as i dont go over my calorie intake? message back dieters! xx

Replies

• Daisy_May
    Daisy_May Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    When I'm dying for chocolate I let myself have a couple squares of dark chocolate, it gets rid of the craving and a little is enough to satisfy me. I use the Lindt 70% dark, it's only 90 calories for 3 squares!
  • Katbaran
    Katbaran Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    Fat free or sugar free hot chocolate is my thing. It gives me the chocolate taste for not a lot of calories.
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    It won't hurt so long as you stay under your calories and don't do it every day. Plan exactly what you're going to have rather than wait until you've got a real craving and eat way too much of it!
  • pattiann603
    Options
    when you're truly craving something, just have it, but keep portion control in mind. if you deny yourself little treats for too long enough, you're bound to end up binging, which is way worse. so have a little chocolate bar, log it, and move on with your healthy day.
  • liz11599
    liz11599 Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    Definately don't depive yourself, but don't go overboard either. Dark chocolate is your healthiest choice and it should curb that craving. Enjoy.
  • joannad13
    Options
    I don't think you should deprive yourself. If you treat yourself once in awhile then you are more likely to have success!! Good luck:smile:
  • polkadotty88
    polkadotty88 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! Maybe i'll go for a walk and try and forget about my craving. eeeek!!! xxx
  • queenstatus
    queenstatus Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    when you're truly craving something, just have it, but keep portion control in mind. if you deny yourself little treats for too long enough, you're bound to end up binging, which is way worse. so have a little chocolate bar, log it, and move on with your healthy day.

THAT'S WHAT I WOULD SAY
  • ma43ry
    ma43ry Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Have one or two days a week be your "off diet" day. That way you know you can have your chocolate or whatever in so many days and it will keep you going the rest of the week. I am using the "No S Diet" and it works for me.
  • LuckySe7en
    Options
    Don't deprive yourself! I usually keep those 100 calorie packs on hand for when I get a really intense sweet tooth. If I just want sugar, and not necessarily chocolate, I go for a piece of fruit like an apple with a dash of cinnamon or something. Good sugar, and it fills me up.
  • polkadotty88
    polkadotty88 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    And after my walk, if i'm still craving it - ill buy some dark chocolate :)
  • tracywba
    tracywba Posts: 21
    Options
    I have single time out bars in my fridge 85 calories each. They keep my cravings at bay. I also have low calorie hot chocolate drinks.
  • ejha77
    ejha77 Posts: 63
    Options
    Do you think one bar of chocolate will make a difference as long as i dont go over my calorie intake? message back dieters! xx
    No, that should be fine. Alternatively do some exercise to earn it!
  • micnic
    micnic Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    This is why I love MFP! I have a sweet tooth and I do not like depriving myself. As long as you are staying within in calorie limits, eating what you enjoy (in moderation of course) is what helps you to stay motivated, in my opinion. If I totally deprived myself of the things I love, I would NEVER be able to stick with a diet. Enjoy your chocolate bar from time to time or find some lower calorie chocolate treats. Like dark chocolate, low-fat chocolate pudding, and one of my favorites is the Fiber Plus Chocolate Chip granola bars.....SO YUMMY!! Find something that will help you satisfy your chocolate craving without sabotaging your weight loss! Good luck! You can do this!! :)
  • ejha77
    ejha77 Posts: 63
    Options
    I also have low calorie hot chocolate drinks.
    Good point. I have sachets of low calorie hot chocolate ('Options') and it's surprisingly nice when you want something sweet. Only about 35kcal, so much less than a bar of chocolate, too.
  • chanstriste13
    chanstriste13 Posts: 3,277 Member
    Options
    message back dieters! xx

oh, no! the dreaded dieter mindset! change your perception about this or it's likely that everything you change for the better will revert to old, bad habits. if you can't live without chocolate, eat some! i am a chocoholic, so i eat a bit everyday. i never feel like i just ate my last piece of chocolate ever because i sacraficed the sweet delight to the diet gods - so i don't feel a need to binge.

find a way to eat what you enjoy, but in moderation and while holding yourself accountable. the problem is not eating chocolate. you just have to find a comfortable way to alter your habits in such a way that you aren't overindulging - a *lifestyle* change that you can stick with forever - not a diet that you will completely stop once you've reached your goal weight, only to gain it all back again!

i suggest dove dark promises, at 42 calories each. i eat between 3 and 5 of these a day - keeps me sane! best of luck to you!
  • jewelzz
    jewelzz Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    It takes about 14days for your body to adjust to something new,so you still have alittle time left after that the cravings get better.:bigsmile:
  • lawkat
    lawkat Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    I find the more you deny yourself of the things you want, the more likely you will "fall off the wagon" and stop trying to make lifestyle changes. If you want some chocolate, figure it into your daily plan. I do. The same goes for alcohol. I make sure I have enough calories to have a glass or pint. Moderation is the key.
  • DanielleAThomas
    DanielleAThomas Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I too have the dove promises dark chocolate when I need a choccy hit. Stick it to the top of your mouth and they last ages. Yum!
    And sweet! Bye bye craving. Good luck and stick to it!
  • Natalie0506
    Natalie0506 Posts: 163
    Options
    I can honestly say that the longer you go without eating it, the better you feel. On day 2, I had a TERRIBLE craving for chocolate. I felt like I was seriously going crazy. But I got through it (with no chocolate), and since then, I've had ZERO cravings for anything like that. I may have a craving in passing (last night I had popcorn, and I usually eat chocolate with my popcorn), but it goes away almost as soon as it shows up.