New user Losing weight with hypothyroidism.

Options
How many others have a thyroid problem which has caused their weight problem like me? I'm just curious as to how easy or how difficult it was for you to lose weight while taking thyroid medication? What should I expect? Should I be eating low carbs or watching calories? Any other advice would be so great!

Replies

• beatlemom
    beatlemom Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    Hi! Welcome to MFP! I am hypothyroid and am losing weight. Mary Shomon is an expert and has a column at about.com and has written a few books about the subject. She recommends going with higher fiber and lower carbs. I have been aiming for 30 grams of fiber a day and less than 150 total carbs=120 net carbs. I am losing about 3 pounds a week on average, but I also drink lots of water and walk every day for at least 30 minutes.
    I have just been trying different stuff here and there, but the fiber seems to really be working. I would recommend if you are not getting lots of fiber now, to increase slowly or you will have problems adjusting. Like increase by 5 grams a week until you get to 30...

Oh and I set my lifestyle to the second lowest, so I am on 1350 calories a day. I also eat my at least half of my exercise calories back.
  • kevinbc
    kevinbc Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I take thyroid medication and have lost 30 lbs since January. Once you get your thyroid levels back to normal losing weight will go back to normal as long as your eating the right amount of calories and working out.
  • peanut352
    peanut352 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I found I had hypothyrodism right when I started my weightloss last July. I can honestly say it has not hindered my weightloss at all. I consistently lost 2lbs per week for the first 5 months or so, and then it started getting a little bit harder, where I am now only losing 1/2 to 1 lb per week, but thats only because I only have so much less to lose now.
    Take your medicine everyday, but dont think about it after that. My mother who is 67 also has had hypothyroidism for years, and she also lost about 60 lbs in the same amount of time. I think people tend to use it as a crutch, when really if your doing what your supposed to be doing, the weight will come off.
    Good luck! You can do this!:flowerforyou: