What's your exercise routine?

Options
What's your exercise routine? Do you do certain things on certain days? How much of each thing? More cardio than strength training?

Replies

• Alysgrma
    Alysgrma Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • chanstriste13
    chanstriste13 Posts: 3,277 Member
    Options
    i do a mix of classes at my gym and a jogging regiment. two of my classes are cardio/strength mix, one is stretching (pilates) and one is pure cardio (step class). i also jog 3. 5miles twice a week. one of the luxuries of being unemployed is that i have crazy time to do all this. when i'm short on time, i dig 30 day shred with jillian michaels. she doesn't mess around! and stability ball work for core toning and strength training. good stuff.
  • jpjcfox
    jpjcfox Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    It's important to change up your exercise so your body doesn't get used to the same thing. Cardio exercise is most important when losing weight. At least 4-5 days a week, every day if you can do it. I incorporate weight training in two days a week. Good luck with your program.
    :smile:
  • kevanos
    kevanos Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    I do cardio 4 or 5 times a week for 30 minutes.
    I do weights 4 times a week, but sometimes I only do it 3 times. I split my weights up over of 2 days: Day 1: Shoulders, chest, triceps, abs. Day 2: legs, back, biceps.
    I rest for 2 or 3 days per week.

I havea bit different diet than the usual MFP. I eat my exercise calories back throughout the week. So every day I aim for the same amount of calories. But even then I do end up eating more on exercise days. The most important part of my diet is the protein. I try to eat as much protein as possible. After a workout I always make myself a protein shake.
  • Clew
    Clew Posts: 910 Member
    Options
    I don't really have a set workout plan, I just try to do something *at least* 3 or 4 days a week if not more, and I do whatever I feel like that day. I know some people will say that's too erratic, but I get bored easily :wink: , and switching up what I do all the time keeps me on track to get my workouts in.

I love feeling strong so I tend to do workouts that are both cardio and strength-heavy (like boxing and kettlebells)

Good luck on your journey! :flowerforyou:
  • Adsnwfld
    Adsnwfld Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    I do cardio almost every day. I've learned that you do need to take a day off every once in a while. About half of the days I run, then for the rest I go between swimming and cross training. For me it is how I feel, if my legs don't feel that good I'll swim. Sometimes I'll run 2 days in a row but never 3. I mix weight training in whenever I can.
    I'm a morning person so I'll hit the gym at 5 AM and get a good hour in, then go home so my wife can get to work and I take the kids to school. Even on days that I work I will put some time in before work.
    For me it brightens up the whole day to exercise first.
  • Kathy11174
    Options
    I do Tae Bo 5 days a week, I have a lot of Billy Blanks dvd's so it mixes cardio and strength. Then on the other 2 days my daughter and I take a walk and do WII Dance or Zumba. Since starting on this site I have become obsessed with exercising and if I miss a day I feel really depressed. So if I do not have a lot of time that is when I will take a walk or just do 15-20 minutes of one of my DVD's

The key is to mix it up and drink plenty of water before during and after so that you do not dehydrate!
  • ItsCasey
    ItsCasey Posts: 4,022 Member
    Options
    Strength training
    Pushing lifts (bench press, military press, shoulder press, etc.) - 30 minutes on Mondays and Thursdays
    Lower body lifts (squats, deadlifts, lunges, kettlebell swings/cleans, etc.) - 30 minutes on Tuesdays and Saturdays
    Bodyweight training (push-ups, planks, squat thrusts, jump squats, etc.) - 30 minutes on Wednesdays and Sundays

Cardio
    (walking/running, dancing, jumping rope)
    1.5 hours Monday through Thursday
    2.5 hours on Saturdays and Sundays

Friday is my usual rest day, but I move it around when I need to (if I'm traveling or whatever), and if my body feels unusually tired during the week, I'll take it easy. I've learned that you cannot ignore your body when it's screaming at you that it needs a break. If you think taking one day off is bad, wait till you injure yourself and can't work out for WEEKS.
  • nlhawthorne
    Options
    At the minute I go to the gym 3-4 times a week. Each time I do pretty much the same thing: 25 minutes running on the treadmill, then 5 different strength training machines concentrating on the arms and legs (usually takes about 15-20 minutes), then another 15 minutes either back on the treadmill (this time alternating speeds from sprints to fast walking) or split between the cross-trainer (aka elliptical) and a cycle of some kind. I do a bit of walking too outside the gym. I know I should probably change it up a bit so my body doesn't "get used" to what I'm doing but to be honest this is the first time I've actually enjoyed an exercise routine and I like the challenge of trying to beat my best times/speeds, so it works for me.
  • FitToFab
    FitToFab Posts: 47
    Options
    started 5 days ago so not set routine yet but I plan to focus on pure toning!! 4-5x a week no less than 25min no more than 45min.
  • Ral263
    Ral263 Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    I run about 2 miles to the gym each morning, then do 1 hr cardio and 30 minutes of strength training.

Then, my afternoon workout is another hour of cardio.
  • hroush
    hroush Posts: 2,073 Member
    Options
    I am starting this workout today!

http://stronglifts.com/stronglifts-5x5-beginner-strength-training-program/

I was doing a similar workout program before, but this one is simpler and better.

I am also teaching a spin class twice a week.
  • Mkleder
    Mkleder Posts: 289
    Options
    I have just started a cross training class with a trainer that is a 45-minute session, 3 days a week.

That session is followed by 30 minutes of cardio, increasing resistance every 2 minutes and changing machines every 10 minutes.

On the in-between days I do an hour of cardio following the same plan as above.
    I usually have one "off" day a week where I "cheat" on the cardio plan by staying on the treadmill longer, working my jogging endurance.
  • msarro
    msarro Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    Right now I'm about to enter the taper in half marathon training. After that, I'm not entirely sure what I'm going to do. I have a P90X set that I've been contemplating, so maybe I'll check that out. Plus it IS getting to bicycle season :)
  • MyNameIsNotBob
    MyNameIsNotBob Posts: 565 Member
    Options
    I go to the gym 3-4x / week right now, mixing my rest days in-between. On gym days, I will do 30 to 60 min. of cardio, plus some strength training. I try to switch up the order / timing / resistance / weight / routine to keep myself interested and challenged.

On on-gym days I will take a walk, but I've stopped logging those, since I walk all the time and it's just part of my daily routine.

I think I'm going to try to hit up a yoga class tonight (haven't been in over 3 months!) and our outdoor pool will open up in a month and a half, so I can do outdoor swimming again!
  • UpToTheChallenge
    Options
    I enjoy doing classes. Tonight I am doing a 50 minute spin class and then a 60 minute Yoga class.

If I do a class like Yoga or Body Pump, I will usually add my own cardio in afterwards but I try to mix it up.

I love the stairmaster for cardio - works up a sweat and burns calories QUICKLY!

Strength training is very important so make sure to add it to your routine!
  • baisleac
    baisleac Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options
    I walk at lunch on M/W/F. I have been doing weight work on T/Th/Sa, but will be switching those to M/W/F evening and doing HIIT on T/Th/Sa. Technically Sunday is my "Rest Day" but I have a hard time not doing something.
  • Dancinhiphop4life
    Options
    mondays: jackie warners extreme timesaver training dvd then elliptical or treadmill for 30 min, then abs
    tuesdays: interval training on elliptical or treadmill....60 minutes
    wednesdays: same as monday
    thursday: same as tuesday
    friday: same as monday and wednesday
    (i try to get on the bike 2 to 3 times during the week to help with my butt muscles in a different way than lifting)
    weekend: i go for walks and hiking, dont usually hit the gym like i do during the week but do somekind of activitiy

so i have 3 days a week of lifting and abs, 5 days of cardio and 2 days of leisure activity......if i feel up for it i will workout harder on the weekends but usually after the week my body needs the rest.

And if you wanted to try jackies dvd just to let you know it is low weights and high reps, works a couple of muscles at the same time during each workout and is cardio cause it keeps your heartrate up. it will kill you in 30 min!
  • kbanzhaf
    kbanzhaf Posts: 601 Member
    Options
    Hi,

For me, it's WALK, WALK, and more WALK. I try to get in 3-5 miles, five or six days a week at the minimum, and usually more in the summers.

It's how I lost 60+ pounds and have kept it off for since 2007. I initially lost 72, gained back 22, have lost 10 of that, and hope to lose a couple more (I'd like to range between 130-135). In all honesty though, I'm perfectly happy any time the scale is less than 140 pounds in the mornings.

After I had lost the weight, I saw a friend I hadn't seen for a LONG time. When he asked what I had done to lose the weight, I told him the eating that I had done, and then said, "And I walked my *kitten* off." He turned me around, and said, "Literally." When he passed away a couple of months later (at a young age from Swine Flu), it was one of the stories I shared with his family. Bittersweet memories.

Kaye
  • ftoddw
    ftoddw Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I swim m,w,f, spin t,th, weight training t, th, sa. Monday and sat cross training or kettle bell class. My weight training routines were designed by a trainer at the gym. tu - Whole body, Thur - upper body - Sa - whole body. I have three whole body routines and two upper routines and I switch every two weeks. I do my weight training right after or before spinning/classes. I also try to ride my bike to work when the weather is warm and get at least one hiit run in and one jog in a week. My problem has never been workouts its always been eating. MFP has really helped get that on track.