weight lifting - how important is it?

Options
i know that strength training is good stuff, so i'm not arguing its value. my issue is that with the classes i attend at my gym, i don't feel that i have the energy to strength train on top of them. with that said, my classes are not pure cardio - they are a mix of cardio and strength training using free weights, stability balls and a gazillion squats and lunges. i feel like it's enough, but i still wonder if i should be making some time to hop on the traditional weight machines too. any thoughts?

Replies

• Amanda421
    Amanda421 Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    i have the same question....
  • emariec78
    emariec78 Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    Was wondering the same thing...
  • bmontgomery87
    bmontgomery87 Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    I'd try to find 2-3 days a week for strength training.
    I wouldn't do them the same day as your classes though, but if you can find the time you should atleast do a full-body workout once a week.
  • Smokenmirrors
    Smokenmirrors Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Try using resistance bands. They are a great workout and it is still strength training. I'm no expert by all means but you should look in Women's Health magazine(free online). I read Mens Health and I bought their Big Book of Exercises so there is something new everyday.

Good luck and stay the course.
  • RDH0513
    RDH0513 Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    I love to use Jillian michaels workout DVDs. They only require the use of 3lbs db's so I still weight train while doing them. I weight train 4 times a week, and depending on how my days workout, I have done them both on the same day ( one in the morning and one at night) your classes might be harder than the DVDs I do, but you could look in to doing more of a cardio type class, that way it won't interfere with the weight training.
  • pyro13g
    pyro13g Posts: 1,127 Member
    Options
    We all need to fight against sarcopenia(age related muscle loss). The easiest way to see what's going on is to track your lean body mass/weight. If it's going down, higher intensity strength training is needed. With higher intensity more rest is often needed. Now, you can also drive lean mass downward by over training so you really need to pay attention to over training symptoms.
  • basschick
    basschick Posts: 3,502 Member
    Options
    Strength training doesn't necessarily have to mean pumping iron. Try wearing ankle or wrist weights for some of your workouts or using hand held jogging weights when you run.