Silly superstitions

Options
There's a W emblem at the college I went to, they say if you walk on the W your freshmen year you will fail your exams. Of course it's not real, but I still could never bring myself to walk on it. Not even now when I go back to visit.

Replies

• zydratethief
    Options
    I used to believe if i held my breath while crossing a bridge in a car, it wouldn't fall...lol
  • KristenAnn711
    Options
    I always hold my breath going through a tunnel, still don't know the reasoning behind that.
  • authson
    authson Posts: 233
    Options
    Learned this one when visiting my family in Germany: It is bad luck for the next year if you wash clothes between Christmas and New Year. LOL
  • Sonofabiscuit2
    Sonofabiscuit2 Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    It's funny where superstitions come from and the power we give them. Salt over the left shoulder to blind the evil spirits, wishing on eyelashes they are based on something. One I did for years without knowing why, I didn't light more than one cigarette per match or lighting of my lighter, turns out it was an old soldier trick intended to keep the enemy snipers from pinpointing you.
  • KristenAnn711
    Options
    It's funny where superstitions come from and the power we give them. Salt over the left shoulder to blind the evil spirits, wishing on eyelashes they are based on something. One I did for years without knowing why, I didn't light more than one cigarette per match or lighting of my lighter, turns out it was an old soldier trick intended to keep the enemy snipers from pinpointing you.

I love learning the stories behind the superstition!! Hey, maybe I'll be a history major..nah I hate learning the boring stuff like politics. Haha
  • hernandezjt
    Options
    My sister has one, she holds her breath and plugs her nose every time she drives by a cemetery. This doesn't allow her to get spirits in her she says. She started doing it as a child and now does it cause its "fun."
  • rhirvo
    rhirvo Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I see 777 almost everyday on licence plates... some say I only see them because I "look" for them but I find it odd...
  • ejohndrow
    ejohndrow Posts: 1,399 Member
    Options
    I always hold my breath going through a tunnel, still don't know the reasoning behind that.

I have a friend who did this. We always found it funny to try and find really long tunnels to drive through when she was in the car.