Breakfast

Options
What are some good breakfast recipes? What should I be eating for breakfast?! Do I need carbs early on? or protein?

Sarah

Replies

• ari_27
    ari_27 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    This was my breakfast today:

1 slice of nature's own sugar free whole wheat bread toasted
    with 1 tbsp of maranatha almond butter (i'm obsessed!!!) you can add 2 tbsp if you'd like
    topped with some cinammon
    and half a grapefruit

you can add anything else to the toast too, maybe some sugar free jelly or something like that :) your breakfast should always include some protein and (in my opinion) one serving of fruit..have to have my fruit in the morning
  • cat3nv
    cat3nv Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    Complex carbs are good for the morning. They will give you energy to get you through the day with out being hungry too soon.
  • missy1970eb
    missy1970eb Posts: 1,209
    Options
    i have weetabix or fruit and fibre:smile:
  • ambie35
    ambie35 Posts: 853 Member
    Options
    I had 1 slice of multrgrain toast with peanut butter
    and a 1/4 cup of greek yogurt with a cut up strawberry, 1/4 tablespoon on honey and lots of cinnamon.
    This along with my vitamins and several glasses of water usually keeps me full for a few hours.
  • brendansmom1
    brendansmom1 Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    my favorite breakfast is an english muffin with a tablespoon of peanut butter. Gives me some carbs and some protein without going overboard on either one. :)
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    I do a nice mix of carbs and protein, like a breakfast burrito or just eggs and hash browns, or sometimes a fruits smoothie made with soy milk and protein powder (soy or casein, not whey protein which gets used too quickly). The carbs give you energy and the protein helps keep you full.
  • Sigra
    Sigra Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    I'm about to have some Cream of Wheat made with Light Vanilla Soy Milk :)
  • lulu1962
    lulu1962 Posts: 210
    Options
    My breakfast: Special K Strawberry or Vanilla:drinker: Protein drink...I put it in the freezer for about 1/2 hour to make it thicker & then add 1/4 cup milk after I drink some of the protein drink...back in the freezer for about 1/2 hour...I don't like milk, so I need to have it flavored. This drink is sooo good that I feel kinda guilty drinking it!
  • JennLifts
    JennLifts Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options
    I'd suggest a little of both. My current fave, is 1/2c uncooked oats, 2tbs dried cranberries, 1tbs chopped nuts, or 9 almonds, or what ever, and pour a 1/2c of milk over it. YUUUM! You have good fat, carb, and some protein!
  • MyNameIsNotBob
    MyNameIsNotBob Posts: 565 Member
    Options
    I usually have some carbs, some dairy (protein), and some fruit.

Cereal w/ banana & milk
    Yogurt w/ berries & granola

If I'm eating something small, I'll eat just a Luna / Clif bar... but I have some milk w/ my coffee
  • SugaDumplin
    Options
    Coffee - - With 2 Tbls Half & Half
    Splenda - 2 teap.
    Spices - Cinnamon, ground
    Blueberries - Raw
    Oatmeal - Bulk - Steal Cut
    Nuts - Walnuts, english
  • etarre
    etarre Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    Protein tends to keep me fullest longest, so I have been doing either cottage cheese or egg whites, microwaved and topped with salsa and a bit of fat-free sour cream.
  • Staceslim
    Staceslim Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    all these breakfasts sound so exciting and yummy, I just have multi-grain cheerios & a slice of homemade banana bread. I have my coffee with skim milk & sweetner.
  • kpolnik
    kpolnik Posts: 4
    Options
    I like thomas's fiber english muffins (8g of fiber and 100calories) I usually have peanut butter or brummell and brown yogurt spread (it tastes just like butter but is so much better for you).

I usually combine my english muffin with yogurt or fruit.

Hope this helps!!
  • kah78
    kah78 Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    Currently, I"m grooving on fat free cottage cheese and crushed pineapple for breakfast--it's creamy and sweet and the protein just keeps me going for a long time. Love it!
  • kaitlyn12osu
    Options
    im all about protein at breakfast. i always have greek yogurt (usually fage 0%) and a small banana with a sprinkle of cereal (today my cereal was GF chocolate and peanut butter puffs--yum!)
  • TubbsMcGee
    TubbsMcGee Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    I love to either have:

PC Thins 4 seed bagel with organic smooth all natural peanut butter with a sprinkling of chia seeds

OR

Nature's Path Organic instant oatmeal with a dash of ground cinnamon and hand full or organic blueberries

OR

free run large organic egg with 2 egg whites, scrambled with feta cheese, chives, splash of milk, dash of pepper and turkey bacon.

I like to start my day off with a full belly, and then have some fruit mid-morning.
  • lindainak
    lindainak Posts: 101
    Options
    I agree with JennW10. Except I go to my local health food store and buy bulk organic rolls grains: oat, rye, spelt, barley etc. Mix them together with organic raw tree nuts(ones that you are not allergic to). One half cup of this mix and top with fresh berries or fresh fruit and skim milk.

Also good is a smoothie: http://allrecipes.com//Recipe/all-around-good-smoothie/Detail.aspx
  • DeniseGdz
    DeniseGdz Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    I had:
    1 Egg & 1 Egg white with a little bit of skim milk = SCRAMBLED
    3 slices of tomatoes
    1/4 of Cottage Cheese
    1 piece of English Muffin
    1 cup of coffee

Under 200 calories and definitely a good start to my day!!
  • cardbucfan
    cardbucfan Posts: 10,396 Member
    Options
    First thing I have 1 slice Nature's Own Double Fiber wheat bread with 1 T almond butter and 2 glasses of water (and coffee!). Take my kids to school, workout then come home and eat my protein. 1/2 cup egg whites and some form of breakfast meat (need to cut it out, sodium is killing me!) either turkey bacon (only Oscar Meyer), turkey sausage or canadian bacon (and more coffee!). This combo gets me through my workout and keeps me going until lunch.