Foods that are high in iron

Options
Hi All,

I have discovered that I am anemic due to a health issue and I am looking for some high iron foods other than spinach and red meat. Even though I am taking iron supplements, I am still craving red meat all the time. any suggestions?

Replies

• lilybug13
    lilybug13 Posts: 154
    Options
    Special K granola cereal
  • snarky
    snarky Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    My grandfather used to eat raisins before he would give blood to help with his iron. I never really looked into whether this was a valid approach, but I would check there. Good luck!
  • david081
    david081 Posts: 489 Member
    Options
  • DoReMiFaSoLaTiDo
    Options
    http://www.vrg.org/nutrition/iron.htm#table1

my faves are quinoa, lima beans, and oatmeal ( which I have every day for breakfast)
  • DoReMiFaSoLaTiDo
    Options

liver and most of the other organs listed on that list are HIGH in cholesterol... may not wanna trade one problem for another
  • tananichelle
    tananichelle Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    If you like the taste, beef liver is fairly high in iron - and also pretty decent in calories. My husband and I made liver and veggie kebabs this weekend, with onions, zucchini, yellow squash, and a little shake of powdered garlic. We grilled them, and they were super tasty!
  • Noz7
    Noz7 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Raisins.

Remember that Vit C helps you absorb it; tea stops you from absorbing it.
    So do use lemon juice over your iron rich food; don't have a cup of tea around the same time.
  • KatyE213
    KatyE213 Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    A lot of breakfast cereals are now fortified with iron - just check the packages
  • msarro
    msarro Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    Another possibility is using cast-iron cookware. It actually imparts iron into food cooked with it.
  • kajun_at_work
    kajun_at_work Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Total Raisin Bran
  • ArchyJill
    ArchyJill Posts: 548 Member
    Options
    Try cooking with a cast iron frying pan...it adds iron to the diet AND if it's seasoned properly you'll use less oil in your cooking. Not to mention the things will last several lifetimes. :)
  • JanerZzz
    JanerZzz Posts: 276
    Options
    brocolli, apples, shrimp, liver (mmmm liver pate!)
  • carlybarley22
    carlybarley22 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    baby spinach! i could eat baby spinach every day for the rest of my life.
  • ivyjbres
    ivyjbres Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    Luna bars and soy protein, also oatmeal. Welcome to the club!
  • lcoulter23
    lcoulter23 Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    I have anemia as well. Oatmeal has lots of iron in it, so does life cereal and Nutrigrain bars and Special K (or even the Kroger off brand of special K) Rice has a lot of iron, potatoes, peas, broccoli, anything green has lots of iron, ronzoni smart taste spaghetti and rotini noodles have lots of iron, and peanut butter and some fruit juices have iron in them as well. I personally have to get iron shots because my body does not absorb vitamins and minerals so they have to be injected straight into my blood stream.
  • david081
    david081 Posts: 489 Member
    Options

liver and most of the other organs listed on that list are HIGH in cholesterol... may not wanna trade one problem for another

If you had looked past the meat options there was a whole list of non meat high iron foods, which was why I posted the link, given what you said...duh
  • DoReMiFaSoLaTiDo
    Options

If you had looked past the meat options there was a whole list of non meat high iron foods, which was why I posted the link, given what you said...duh

duh?? SERIOUSLY?? grow up...
    OTHERS may have benefited from the comment I made... MANY folks wont bother to read down past the first 2 or 3 things on a list.... Many may only see what catches their eye.... the FACT that animal organs are on the list makes it worth it to mention the fact that they are HIGH in Cholesterol and those wanting/needing to avoid cholesterol should be aware....
  • SewRue
    SewRue Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I had a similar problem. I made homemade granola with raisins and ate lots of carrots.