Protein Bars - When to eat them!

Options
When are you supposed to eat them? A few hours before you work out? I got the special K snack size protein bars to eat before I go to the gym after work. I am alway hungry around 3 or 4 and I don't normally get to the gym till 6. Is that an OK time to eat them?

Thanks!

Replies

• marniebigelow
    Options
    bump, I'm curious too....
    I have cliff bars that are really good and I would like to use them as a breakfast replacement.
  • SGartz
    SGartz Posts: 57
    Options
    When are you supposed to eat them? A few hours before you work out? I got the special K snack size protein bars to eat before I go to the gym after work. I am alway hungry around 3 or 4 and I don't normally get to the gym till 6. Is that an OK time to eat them?

Thanks!

Straight after a workout if you must eat them would be ideal, but it doesn't really matter in my opinion.

I personally prefer to eat whole foods.
  • knewbill72
    knewbill72 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    The key is to eat them or anything meal for that matter before you get hungry; especially if you are looking to keep up your metabolism.

Based on how many meals you eat per day should dictate when you should eat throughout the day and prior to a workout. Some folks like to eat right before a workout 20-30 minutes to give them an energy boost during their workout.

After you workout you have a 30 minute window where your body is looking to replenish itself , so if you can, eat a bar as soon as you finish working out and you'll feel great! You will also get the healing process started on your muscles going too!
  • milehighcritic
    Options
    I need something in my stomach before a workout. I keep a supply of Clif Bars in my car. I will eat one 30 minutes before going to the gym. I start out doing 30 minutes of strength training. I then can do my 60 + minutes of cardio.