Chest pains running/walking

Options
I took up running in early January and have been progressing well, gradually getting faster (8 min mile) and slimmer (32 lbs lost), that is until last week, I started getting sharp pains in my chest (left side).

I mentioned it to one of thecoaches in the Athletics Club I joined and was told that it was a normal occurance and would gradually go away. I don't get the pains when I cycle but when i walk (within 30 seconds of a medium pace) or when I run. A quick google suggest that it may be related to my beathing technique or may be acid indigestion.

Has anyone had similar and perhaps suggest an easy fix?

Replies

• pilotgirl2007
    pilotgirl2007 Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't mess around with chest pain and I would go see a doctor to rule out any major issues before looking for an easy fix.
  • FitPhysique
    FitPhysique Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    I say to go see a sports med doc. I've been running for 12 years and never had that experience.
  • Atlantique
    Atlantique Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't mess around with chest pain and I would go see a doctor to rule out any major issues before looking for an easy fix.

Agreed. It's not worth risking your health!
  • andipandi
    andipandi Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    i'm an exercise asthmatic you might want to look into that. if i dont use an inhaler it feels like i'm having a heart attack when i run. an inhaler makes all the difference.

p.s. you need to see a doctor for an inhaler...and testing to rule out anyother problems. in my case i'm asthmatic.
  • tyienna
    tyienna Posts: 39
    Options

I totally agree. See your doctor asap
  • UcallMeJay
    Options

ditto on the doctor.

It could be breathing tech. I found myself getting side craps easily when I took up jogging and after researching I found it wad breathing technique. Here is a link with lots of good info
    http://running.about.com/od/howtorun/ht/deepbellybreathing.htm
  • jaimejean478
    jaimejean478 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    i'm an exercise asthmatic you might want to look into that. if i dont use an inhaler it feels like i'm having a heart attack when i run. an inhaler makes all the difference.

I've had the same problem as I work through the Couch to 5k running program. It's in my chest, left side, almost under the arm. Then for about an hour after my run, my breathing is wheezy. When I pay more attention to my actual breathing, I don't notice it as much. I am going to talk to my doc at the next check up though about the possibility of having exercise induced asthma.
  • chrisallcock
    Options
    I took up running in early January and have been progressing well, gradually getting faster (8 min mile) and slimmer (32 lbs lost), that is until last week, I started getting sharp pains in my chest (left side).

I mentioned it to one of thecoaches in the Athletics Club I joined and was told that it was a normal occurance and would gradually go away. I don't get the pains when I cycle but when i walk (within 30 seconds of a medium pace) or when I run. A quick google suggest that it may be related to my beathing technique or may be acid indigestion.

Has anyone had similar and perhaps suggest an easy fix?

i get this at times and personally put it down to wat we call in the uk as a stitch...i do lots of running throughout the week so get it often, it comes and goes but like others have said, chest pains are not to be taken lightly so for peace of mind go see the doc
  • sjmartinez
    Options
    i had exercise induced bronchial constriction growing up it was so bad i collapsed once after pushing myself too hard and i remember feeling the chest pain, you definitely need to see a dr. I got an inhaler. I don't run these day my knees can't handle it, nor can my lungs so I do cardio workouts in my house via a small collection of dvd's. I miss runnin outside esp. on these lovely spring days but it's not worth that feeling.
  • ivyjbres
    ivyjbres Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    i had exercise induced bronchial constriction growing up
    More of the same here. My throat used to swell so bad that I'd gag and throw up every time I worked out hard (so 5 days a week in jr. high and high school). You can push through it with breathing techniques, but an inhaler will help you out a lot more, and prevent you from doing lasting damage to your body. I still get bronchiospasms from time to time- like being stabbed in the lung with a knitting needle, not fun!