Protein Drinks

Options
I see a lot of ppl talking about or is drinking protein shakes... is that good for weight loss and is it ok to go over on your allotted protein???

Thank you in advance =)

Replies

• bzmom
    bzmom Posts: 1,332 Member
    Options
    Yes and Yes!!!
  • AdamATGATT
    AdamATGATT Posts: 573 Member
    Options
    Yes, and yes.

MFP's allotment for protein is low. You should be consuming on average 1g to 1.2g per pound of bodyweight if you are doing any type of endurance or strength training.

Protein shakes are good to fill in for a snack, or use post workout. For meals, it's a good way to add protein (which will keep you fuller, longer) without adding carbs and fats*. Post workout, its good to add in some carbs to help with recovery.

Be sure to consume plenty of water as well, so not to stress the kidneys with the protein.

* - If you get a clean protein powder.
  • tonlynn
    tonlynn Posts: 23
    Options
    I like to drink a protein smoothie within an hour of exercising (either before or after) to help my muscles
  • Brian05
    Brian05 Posts: 1
    Options
    Whey Protein shakes are a great way to get extra protein in the body without taking in saturated fats from meats and cheeses. A high protein intake is great for adding muscle....muscle burns fat...you get the idea. Like the previous posts have said, these are great for meal replacement or great for snacks and after workouts. If you go over your daily amount of protein, and most of us will, but you do it by adding protein shakes to your diet, you are on a good path.
  • AdamATGATT
    AdamATGATT Posts: 573 Member
    Options
    Also, they are different types of protein powders. They are not all created equal.

There are isolates (purest, most fast acting), casein (slower digesting, longer duration), and they come from sources like whey's, egg's, soy...

Post workout / for recovery, I like isolates. For meals, I like a blend...utilizing the slower casein and fast acting whey. Before bed, a casein is great to help with muscle repair.

You'll need to find the type that works best for what you want it to do.
  • juliapurpletoes
    juliapurpletoes Posts: 951 Member
    Options
    I just started addin a protein powder (Trader Joes) to my morning fruit smoothie because it is really hard to get enough! I have been told to eat 1 gram of protein for every pound of my goal weight. So 130 grams for the 130 pounds I want to weigh. that is hard to get from animal proteins and veggie choices without getting so full by the end of the day. (for me)

I do agree with drink lots of water and if you have any kidney issues check with Dr.

As we age we need more protein - you can't make muscles from carbs and fat! Takes protein - just have to be smart about it!
  • rydn4h2o
    rydn4h2o Posts: 255
    Options
    I just started addin a protein powder (Trader Joes) to my morning fruit smoothie because it is really hard to get enough! I have been told to eat 1 gram of protein for every pound of my goal weight. So 130 grams for the 130 pounds I want to weigh. that is hard to get from animal proteins and veggie choices without getting so full by the end of the day. (for me)

I do agree with drink lots of water and if you have any kidney issues check with Dr.

As we age we need more protein - you can't make muscles from carbs and fat! Takes protein - just have to be smart about it!

Yeah, what she said! :happy:

I also add it into my fruit smoothie for the boost in my numbers. I also drink a shake after working out each morning, partially for recovery and partially because it will shut the stomach up until I can get to work to eat breakfast.
  • inkdgirl
    inkdgirl Posts: 79
    Options
    I have a Whey protein isolate drink everyday, have for the past 8 months!
    Im down 95lbs and drink one after every workout!
  • jlpdelorme
    Options
    I have had great success with using a protein shake as a replacement for breakfast. I started on January 3rd and so far have lost 29lbs. (of course with exercise and eating well too). I love them. I have quite a sweet tooth and they really satisfy that for me. I feel like I am drinking a milk shake!
  • cacrat
    cacrat Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    Going over MFP's allotted protein is ok.

That should be stickied so everyone can see it first thing.
  • chrisyoung0422
    chrisyoung0422 Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    1 g to one lb. is the way to go.

I enjoy the good ole whey (optimum nutrition brand) double chocolate.

I usually toss 8-10 ice cubes in the blender with 2 tb of naturally more pb, one banana, 12 oz 1% milk and 1 scoop of whey pro. Blend it on up and pound it down.
  • ElaineDianne70
    ElaineDianne70 Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    I try to hit at least 40% protein - you can change your goals to be customized - I think higher protein is essential in weight loss. :-)
  • cerob
    cerob Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I usually toss 8-10 ice cubes in the blender with 2 tb of naturally more pb, one banana, 12 oz 1% milk and 1 scoop of whey pro. Blend it on up and pound it down.

haha, that's almost what i do for breakfast! two scoops, whole banana, 1/2 tsp of natural peanut butter, water, ice. tastes great and fills me up until it's time to eat again.
  • darla499
    darla499 Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    That is 1 gram for every pound of your GOAL weight, right?

I can manage 120 grams a day, but 244 seems excessive and unnecessary.

Any ideas?

Thanks!
  • bmontgomery87
    bmontgomery87 Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    ^^^Darla. 244 would be a little high. I don't think the protein consumption would need to be that high for you. If you can do 120-140 it shouldn't be a problem. The 1 gram per pound is a general guideline, and doesn't work for everyone. 240 a day would be tough on a calorie restricted diet.

OP: yes and yes/no

You should adjust your protein goals accordingly so you aren't going way over. Because if you're over on your cals for the day, it becomes a problem.
    Definately nothing wrong with going over the 50g reccomendation that MFP probably has for you.
  • darla499
    darla499 Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    ^^^Darla. 244 would be a little high. I don't think the protein consumption would need to be that high for you. If you can do 120-140 it shouldn't be a problem. The 1 gram per pound is a general guideline, and doesn't work for everyone. 240 a day would be tough on a calorie restricted diet.

Thanks bmontogomery!

I appreciate the clarification. I currently have my protein set at 105. Some days I go a little over and some days I'm like 5 - 10 short. I'm not a big meat eater and I avoid a lot of dairy because of the calories. So I get the majority of my protein from Protein Shakes. I manage the 105 grams on about 2 shakes a day and some yogurt. To up it to 120 - 140 I probably need to put another scoop of protein in there.

That's doable .... that 244 gram goal scared me! LOL

Appreciate your help.