My scale?

Options
Well, I weighed in this morning and it said *insert specific number here*. My stupid scale also doesn't have a recalibrate because it's one of those old fashioned needle ones, and it doesn't sit on zero, it sits on one. I know the practical advice is "Go buy a new scale, preferably a digital one" but I still live with my mom until I grad highschool and she hates the fact that I weigh myself anyways. Should I deduct an extra pound because of the calibration error or what?

Replies

• SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    As long as it's giving a consistent readout, does it really matter that you weigh "insert correct number here + or - 1"? If you're happier subtracting that +1 by all means do so! There's really nothing official about this.

If you need to focus on a number, just look at the pounds you've lost. Even more important is your body dimensions and that your clothes get looser. Be sure you are measuring yourself with a tape measure on a weekly basis so you can get a real indication of how much you've lost.
  • MGleason2010
    MGleason2010 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    My mom used to have a old needle scale that used to read -1. But when I put a 5lb weight on it, it read 5lb. I LOVED that scale, mostly because it was so consistent.

Point is, I agree withe previous post - As long as it is consistent, it doesn't really matter. Loosing is Loosing. So what if it is off by 1lb or so. I'd worry more if it was like 10 lb's off.
  • scutes
    scutes Posts: 13
    Options
    Have you checked the sides all around the scale? We have an old-fashioned needle scale and there is a dial to adjust back to zero. Yours may or may not have that, but you might want to check. Like the others said, as long as it's consistent it really doesn't matter much. You could also test it by putting a 5 or 10 pound weight on it to see what it reads.
  • andreacord
    andreacord Posts: 928
    Options
    Have you checked the sides all around the scale? We have an old-fashioned needle scale and there is a dial to adjust back to zero. Yours may or may not have that, but you might want to check. Like the others said, as long as it's consistent it really doesn't matter much. You could also test it by putting a 5 or 10 pound weight on it to see what it reads.

Did that, A 5 pound weight reads 6 pounds.