I no longer eat lunch

Options
I have stoped eating lunch, I now eat small snacks through out the day instead. I just find it feels better to have 4 100 calorie snacks throughout the day instead of a full lunch, keeps the huger at bay all day long.
My fiance is freaking out thinking I'm starving myself, to me as long as by the end of the day I've consumed all my calories that's all that matters.
DO you think it matters if you have 3 actual meals or if you graze all day?

Replies

• TiffanyW1014
    TiffanyW1014 Posts: 614 Member
    Options
    I would like to know this answer also!!
  • thkelly
    thkelly Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    5-6 small meals a day is what a lot of people do

a "meal" can be a small container of yogurt, some nuts and a piece of fruit. it's not like your typical sit down meal with sides and a main course
  • ejohndrow
    ejohndrow Posts: 1,399 Member
    Options
    I've lost weight both ways. I really believe it mainly has to do with the type of food a person puts into their body and the amount of movement and energy they use up throughout the day. Of course everyone is different and we all react slightly differently to food, but overall it comes down to a balanced diet and exercise.
  • RDH0513
    RDH0513 Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    I eat 5-6 meals a day. When I say "meals" I mean a 240 calorie meal. I try to never go over that. I feel full then, but not like I need to go lay down and take a nap!! I try to hit 24g protein and 24g carbs and 5g healthy fats in each meal. I would try to meal each meal balanced out the same, its amazing how full you will feel all day long and you won't really feel deprived that much ( except on the weekends if your like me, thats when I always feel like I should eat bad!! stupid weekends haha )
  • MyNameIsNotBob
    MyNameIsNotBob Posts: 565 Member
    Options
    I think it's fine to spread out your snacks over a typical lunchtime (say snacks at 11 a.m.,, 1 p.m., & 3 p.m.). They key is keeping them healthy and well-balanced. So maybe have a boiled egg with an apple, a granola bar, and some string cheese & V8. You wouldn't want to have three granola bars...
  • posbey
    posbey Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    i will work myself into the small meals and think it is still healthy. it just depends on your perspective.
  • ITSSODAMNHOT
    ITSSODAMNHOT Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I have stoped eating lunch, I now eat small snacks through out the day instead. I just find it feels better to have 4 100 calorie snacks throughout the day instead of a full lunch, keeps the huger at bay all day long.
    My fiance is freaking out thinking I'm starving myself, to me as long as by the end of the day I've consumed all my calories that's all that matters.

If you want, you can check out my food dairy. I eat 6 meals a day ranging between 250 - 350 calories a piece. (usually my breakfast is a bit larger and sometimes my dinner)
  • ITSSODAMNHOT
    ITSSODAMNHOT Posts: 121 Member
    Options

If you want, you can check out my food dairy. I eat 6 meals a day ranging between 250 - 350 calories a piece. (usually my breakfast is a bit larger and sometimes my dinner)
  • ♥AngelKisses♥
    Options
    I only eat a special k bar w a cup of coffee b4 work and then an apple and a serving of wholegrain goldfish crackers for lunch. People at work think im crazy, and don't know how I can only eat that. But the reason for that is I have family dinners at my parents house every night that are pretty high in calories. So I save all of my calories for dinner and it works for me. When I first started I would get hungry sometimes but now that my body is used to it. It works great for me.
  • robyndanielle3
    robyndanielle3 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    What do you generally tend to eat for these "snacks?"
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    It's been proven that people who eat 5-6 small meals each day actually burn more calories than those who eat just three larger meals. More importantly, if you feel better eating more, small meals throughout the day, and are getting the same amount of calories, then there is no way that you are "starving yourself".
  • jhoyett
    jhoyett Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    If you're not hungry and feel healthy, I don't think it's a problem.
  • mikeveggie68
    Options
    i do that often, some days it just a yogurt and a granola bar maybe some raisins or craisins to go with, as long as i continue to feel i have enough energy to get me thru to dinner, the one thing i don't want to do is wind up so hungry at dinner that i feel the need to eat more, i prefer a small dinner, breakfast is the only meal i do big.
  • wimom27
    wimom27 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    actually, in researching healthy eating habits and weight loss both, it says we should be eating small "meals" throughout the day rather than 3 big meals.... as long as you are eating healthy foods and not just snacking on 100-calorie "food" bars or something like that, then I think you are good. Eating throughout the day also helps keep your insulin/ blood sugar levels even rather than the spike and drop that happens in the typical American diet! This will not only keep you healthier overall but contributes to helping you lose weight as well.
  • lodro
    lodro Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    Uhm, that's not been proven actually. It depends on preference. There appears to be no metabolic advantage from eating 6 small meals as opposed to 3 larger ones.
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    I still eat three meals, but I keep them to 400 calories or less and eat a few snacks as well :)
  • RDH0513
    RDH0513 Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    Uhm, that's not been proven actually. It depends on preference. There appears to be no metabolic advantage from eating 6 small meals as opposed to 3 larger ones.

really?? wow... didn't know that! Can you tell me where you read that??
  • RyonsLions2
    RyonsLions2 Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    I think you are fine. Spreading your calories out over the day is a great idea to keep you from being hungry. As long as it's healthy foods with a little bit of snack food and as long as you are not over your calories but at least covering your calories.
  • Angel1029
    Angel1029 Posts: 459
    Options
    I eat 5-6 small meals a day. I'm so used to that schedule so my body tells me when its time to eat. If you're counting calories just divide them up into consume that at every meal.
  • Daisy_May
    Daisy_May Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    What do you generally tend to eat for these "snacks?"

For example today I had a nutrigrain bar at 10:00, 100 calorie pack of almonds at 12:00, whole grain crackers and laughing cow cheese just now and I have grapes for this afternoon. I had bran flakes for breakfast with skim milk.
    Dinner will be chicken suvlaki and whole grain rice