Jogging-Unhealthy?

Options

Replies

• Mel_MisFit_Mae
    Mel_MisFit_Mae Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    HEY.... I JUST STARETED JOGGING FOR 30MINS BEFORE WORK FOR THE LAST MONTH AND A HALF AND I LOVE IT <3 ..... IT HAS CHANGED MY BODY AND GAVE ME A GREAT NEW WAY TO CHALLANGE MYSELF. I'VE ONLY HERD JOGGING ON AN INCLINE IN HARD ON YOUR KNEES........ NUT IT'S A GREAT MORNING WORK OUT - KEEP IT UP SISTA:wink:
  • monkeybelle83
    monkeybelle83 Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    I always told myself I "couldn't" run because I had bad knees.

Now that I do run, my knees never felt better! Actually... everything feels better. :smile:

I figured for once I should listen to my doctor, and it likely saved me from needing a knee replacement before I was 30. I was born with messed up knees (missing ligaments/muscles and malformed bone structure). Makes losing weight a pain in the *kitten*. Thank goodness for elliptical machines!
  • msarro
    msarro Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    I actually disagree with the "bad on your knees" / form argument. I've been a runner for 6 years and haven't had any joint problems. I think, in fact, that running makes your joints stronger. Think of it from a muscle standpoint -- people could say that weight lifting is bad because it's so hard on the muscles. Indeed, lifting does tear down and actually rip muscle fibers -- until the body adapts and builds new, stronger ones in their place. I believe something similar happens in the joints (barring any degenerative disorders that are NOT running, but rather genetic, related). You beat them up running, and as had been said, as long as you don't overdo it, you're going to get stronger and more durable joints in their place. The human body is a remarkable adaptive machine, built to handle far more stresses than the modern western lifestyle will EVER place upon it, and that includes those ultra runners, etc., out there.

The only reason it'd be bad for your joints is because of bad form. A good way to test if your form is proper is to try running barefoot. It forces you to run with perfect form because slamming an unprotected heel into the ground is immensely painful. However padded shoes let people do some pretty nasty things.

Some people's bodies can take the strain on their knees, but others can't. Plus, everyone benefits from proper form out of the fact that its a whole lot easier to run faster, and longer with good form. Heel striking basically causes force to be exerted in the opposite direction of the direction you're running (up through the heel, ankle, knee, and then pelvis and hip). This basically causes you to stop for a moment every time you impact.

Striking with the front of your foot basically gives you a natural shock absorber (your knee and hip are bent, so they act like a spring), and it lets you keep your center of gravity in front of the impact point, so there is no lost momentum.

Here's a video that explains it better than i can in text:
    http://www.youtube.com/user/njsportsmed#p/a/u/2/9itkEkcQ8WM

And here's an article from Harvard athletic studies:
    http://www.barefootrunning.fas.harvard.edu/4BiomechanicsofFootStrike.html
  • peytjalmom
    Options

Striking with the front of your foot basically gives you a natural shock absorber (your knee and hip are bent, so they act like a spring), and it lets you keep your center of gravity in front of the impact point, so there is no lost momentum.

My body forced me to do this naturally. I had to figure out how NOT to "jiggle" too much. Sorry. TMI. I know.
  • msarro
    msarro Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options

My body forced me to do this naturally. I had to figure out how NOT to "jiggle" too much. Sorry. TMI. I know.

No worries, running ain't glamorous. It's messy, bouncy, gooey, and sometimes smelly :)
  • hernandezjt
    Options
    Time to adjust my jogging style, thanks everyone :)
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    I've been getting this alot when I tell people I am training for a marathon. Invariably the 1st thing they say is "you will wreck your knees".
    It's unfortunate because I genuinely think they mean well, but the are just severely misinformed about running, since 99.9% of the people that tell me that, have never run.
  • HolleeERL
    HolleeERL Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    I know I'm probably not the norm, but my knee problems went away when I started running MORE. I think part was the muscle tone around my knees getting better AND the weight loss incurred from the running. My mother-in-law once told me that running was uncivilized. People say the dumbest things to people trying to make their lives better...
  • traceyann1214
    traceyann1214 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    The human body is designed to run. People only get hurt when they do it wrong.

I see you have vibrams! I have them too and have been loving them! I assume you are as well? I feel a lot less pain in my heal.
  • DeBlue
    DeBlue Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    Form - try to align your body naturally for you, and focus on striking the ground as lightly as you can (try for silence)

Shoes - its important; get the right type for you. Go to a running store or try Road Runner Sports website.

Miles - new or returning runners, ease into the miles. Racking up miles too quickly will end up in injuries and chair time.

Advise - ignore the naysayers. Adults... do what you like, do what works for you!
  • kristiek7
    kristiek7 Posts: 198
    Options
    thank you everyone that posted all of this information........@msarro.....big thanks. It seems like it's obvious to the runners that these concerns are myths.....but until now, I must say I was believing them and letting it play on my mind. I've been considering doing the c25k.....because it's been a dream to run! But, I have joints that aren't so nice (broken/surgery....) but maybe I can do this.....
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    The human body is designed to run. People only get hurt when they do it wrong.

I see you have vibrams! I have them too and have been loving them! I assume you are as well? I feel a lot less pain in my heal.
    I ran a marathon a couple of years ago in Nike Frees and now do all running in the Vibrams. Nearly all of my pains cleared up after getting out of over-engineered shoes.

The only bad thing about the Vibrams is stepping on rocks in the dark. But that is only a short lived pain. :)
  • shreddingit
    shreddingit Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    jogging for no reason for long periods is not recommended

if your gonna run you need to do it with intensity to work muscles for about 20min

problem is heart problems in the future....

jogging/running at a steady pace is not exercise.....

to live a long healthy life resistance training is the only way....

theres a lot of science and studys behind this and I believe it more than a beachbody infomercial:laugh:
  • slimkitty
    slimkitty Posts: 418
    Options
    bump
  • scottb81
    Options
    Running for long distances at a slow to moderate pace reengineers your cardiovascular system.

It increases the size & capacity of the heart
    increases the blood volume
    increases the red blood cell count
    increases the number of capillaries in the muscles
    increases the number of mitochondria in the muscles
  • MamaLeague
    MamaLeague Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    My arthritis has actually decreased since I started running.
  • sheetsofheaven
    sheetsofheaven Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    How do you strike with the ball of your foot???? I land on my heal regardless of whether or not Im wearing shoes?
  • jeffrodgers1
    jeffrodgers1 Posts: 991 Member
    Options
    How do you strike with the ball of your foot???? I land on my heal regardless of whether or not Im wearing shoes?

Lean forward slightly... your body should be in a forward posture while running.
  • shreddingit
    shreddingit Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    Running for long distances at a slow to moderate pace reengineers your cardiovascular system.

and thats the danger of too much jogging/running
  • scottb81
    Options

and thats the danger of too much jogging/running
    It is a benefit because a larger heart pumps a larger volume of blood with each stroke. That is why my resting heart rate is 40 instead of 80. It is only bad when it is a byproduct of heart disease because something else altogether is happening there.

From the article: "Now, said Dr. Paul Thompson, a cardiologist at Hartford Hospital, it is known that if the heart is healthy, there is never a point at which it is too big."
    http://www.nytimes.com/2008/07/07/health/07hearts.html