I never feel full... any tips or advice??

Options
I'm so discouraged... my goal for losing weight is not going so well because I am always so hungry and I never feel full... it's very discouraging and I'm very depressed. I keep telling myself that I'll resist, but the hunger gets so bad that I just cave in and it's like I just have no will power anymore. I was wondering if anyone has any tips or advice on how to make your body think it's full or how to feel full after you eat? Any tips or advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

~Ainsley

Replies

• Ainsley
    Ainsley Posts: 20
    Options
    I'm so discouraged... my goal for losing weight is not going so well because I am always so hungry and I never feel full... it's very discouraging and I'm very depressed. I keep telling myself that I'll resist, but the hunger gets so bad that I just cave in and it's like I just have no will power anymore. I was wondering if anyone has any tips or advice on how to make your body think it's full or how to feel full after you eat? Any tips or advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

~Ainsley
  • bigjug1967
    Options
    How much water do you drink before a meal?
  • bigjug1967
    Options
    How much protein are you getting to eat?
  • stratton
    Options
    boy do i know that....so painful when you want so bad to do it but hunger just gets in your way....try a hot cup of coffee or tea. the heat seems to help you feel fuller. I also like to mix up half a cup of low fat mayo and two tablespoons of white vinegar and two tablespoons of sugar. mix well and dip raw vegies,especially brocoli. it fills you up fast and tastes great. like a sweet and sour dip. good luck..i am pulling for you....:flowerforyou:
  • GinaB30
    GinaB30 Posts: 725 Member
    Options
    I was the same way for the first few days...I was hungry and also when I am bored I WANT to eat. So it felt like I was constantly looking for something.
    I basically drank lots of water those first few days, and after a while I wasn't as hungry any more.
    I also ate things REALLY slowly, with big gulps of water in between.
    I've got a good 35 lbs to lose (well, I lost 7 already) but it can get discouraging when you have a *hungry* day. I've been doing this almost three weeks and had maybe one really HUNGRY day last week. I tried to fill it up with low calorie things, carrot sticks, etc.
    I hope you can over come it! :smile:
  • zenmama
    zenmama Posts: 1,000
    Options
    I drink a lot of water as well, and I spread my food/calories out throughout the day....my stretches are never more than 3 hours apart. It works for me becasue I am eating throughout the day....my worse enemy is school....all junk food. I take my own dinner and have been doing good so far this week with any temptations....but the popcorn.....my downfall. Well best of luck to all of us!!!!

PS fill up on the raw foods as well.

dd

:happy:
  • Widdy1961
    Widdy1961 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Hi

Try chewing each mouthful of food for longer.

We have a receptor in our jaw that sends a signal to our brains to let us know that we have consumed enough food to 'fill up', the extra chewing will trick your brain into thinking you have eaten more than you actually have, thus triggering the 'Full Up' feeling.

Hope this helps, just give it a go.

Widdy
  • erin83070
    erin83070 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Nice hot cup of tea with milk works for me. I get Red Rose decaff, so I'm not up half the night. It's not as good as the reg, but, you know, any port in a storm!
  • ConnieLynn
    ConnieLynn Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    Hi there,

When you feel hungry, give your stomach something to do. It is amazing how little calories are in some foods like salads w/o dressing. Cucumbers are my favorite. If you are really hungry, make sure you have some protein. A hard boiled egg is good. Cereal can be a great snack in small amounts as well.

Eat 5 meals a day or more instead of just 3. You will begin to find things that will sustain you until the next meal. Remember to just go one meal at a time and try not to look at the entire daunting task.

I always tell my kids: do your work 1 step at a time and pretty soon it is fun and not so overwhelming.

If you are new, the first few days are always difficult.

Blessings to you and you can do it,

Connie Lynn
  • PammyB3130
    Options
    I had this same exact problem two weeks ago when I started this program! I never thought these small portion sizes would ever fill me up...everyone here was so supportive and gave me lots of tips... the ones that seem to work the best for me are
    chewing gum whenever I start to get the munchies,
    brush my teeth after every meal,
    find something to keep my hands busy (I do cross stitch and scrapbooking)
    drink lots of water
    eat meals slower

I can tell you from personal experience that it does get better and the first week is the hardest!! now I can eat a small meal (the correct serving size) and be content. just stick with this...it works

~Pam
  • lotusfromthemud
    lotusfromthemud Posts: 5,335 Member
    Options
    Two words: fibre and protein. Make sure you're getting enough.

I also find that I have to space my food throughout the day. If I wait more than 3 hours between food, I put on my crankypants.

Also, make sure you're eating enough. I had my activity set at "sedentary", then I wore a pedometer for a day, and I was walking about 8 miles just doing my regular day. I added some more calories.

You could be actually hungry.

:flowerforyou:
  • lockedcj7
    lockedcj7 Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    Hot protein and fat.

I know that fat is a dirty word around here but your body actually needs some for normal function. As long as you're not blowing your allowance for the day, it's important to eat some fat. Of course, some fats are healthier than others. Fish-fats (Omega-3 fatty acids) are great for you. Nuts also contain fats that aren't as bad for you as those in red meat. That said, there is nothing wrong with eating some lean beef (or venison) as long as you don't go crazy with it. In addition, proteins and fats take longer to digest than carbs and they are more satisfying.

For whatever reason, hot foods are also more satisfying. If I'm ravenous, I can usually eat a bowl of soup and not feel hungry. You just have to watch the salt content in canned soups. They are usually pretty high in sodium.
  • maryschmidt
    Options
    Try eating more smaller meals but stay within your diet plan. Keep your metabolism working.
  • bizznizzgurl
    Options
    have you heard that alot of times when you feel hungry, you know the tummy growl and churn, it's really because your body is needing water.
    i didn't believe that. there's a HUGE difference between food and water to me, but it works. i eat my small portions and rabbit food and still feel hungry, so i down a 20 ounce bottle of water. sometimes i eat and feel okay, but then 10 or 15 minutes later i'm feeling hungry again. i grab my 20 ouncer and chug.
    it's working for me. i always have a full one with me wherever i go and when that tummy starts tripping, i strart drinking and i'm good.
    5 days-2lbs. i'm not complaining.
    good luck! : )
  • yoginimary
    yoginimary Posts: 6,784 Member
    Options
    I was the same way. I go through the day with a hunger level of "I could eat something" - but not painful. You don't want to feel full though. Make a 1-10 scale of how hungry you are with 1 being hardly able to stand up and 10 being so full that your nauseous. Only eat a little something when you go below a 5.

Good luck
  • Ainsley
    Ainsley Posts: 20
    Options
    Thanks everyone for all your replies! I really appreciate all the tips and advice! Tomorrow is my new first official day of starting my new lifestyle change in eating and in exercise. I plan to take everyone's advice on what to do when I feel hungry and not full! Thanks again so much!

I also had one other question.. I bought some 'slim fast' powder stuff to mix with milk to drink for my breakfast... those are healthy right? As long as I just do it once a day and not with all my meals? Should I be eating something else as well to go along with the shake? Any advice is greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

~Ainsley
  • indigirl
    Options
    Thanks everyone for all your replies! I really appreciate all the tips and advice! Tomorrow is my new first official day of starting my new lifestyle change in eating and in exercise. I plan to take everyone's advice on what to do when I feel hungry and not full! Thanks again so much!

I also had one other question.. I bought some 'slim fast' powder stuff to mix with milk to drink for my breakfast... those are healthy right? As long as I just do it once a day and not with all my meals? Should I be eating something else as well to go along with the shake? Any advice is greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

~Ainsley

Ainsley,

While slimfast shakes do have vitamins and are a low calorie food, my suggestion to you would be not to use the shakes as a meal replacement especially if you are never feeling full. I eat Special K cereal for breakfast with milk I average about 180 calories (which is less than most slimfast shakes) and also drink at least 2 full glasses of water too. Then about 10 AM I eat a low calorie snack and drink 2 more glasses of water. This ties me over until lunch. And keeping a glass of water handy at all times is a great idea, every time that I feel a hunger pain I take a sip and it calms my hunger monster right on down!

Good Luck!
    HTH indigirl
  • rebasmart
    Options
    I had a hard time getting full at first but I try and set my fork down between each bite and even take a drink of water between each bite sometimes. I read somewhere that it takes like 30 min for your stomach to tell your brain you are full so eating slow helps. Good luck!

I like cereal or oatmeal for breakfast myself. Both are filling and good!! MMM!:wink: