Gallstones, Gallbladder Trouble.

Options
hey... I have been suffering from this for over two years. I am going to be having my gallbladder removed this week, and i thought maybe it would be cool to get some people together on here who have been through it, or are going to go through it.

Replies

• PNCTink
    PNCTink Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I had my gallbladder out laproscopically two years ago, when my son was 6 weeks old. Is this how you're having it done? Make sure you take it easy afterwards!
  • Tiana405
    Tiana405 Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    it was a VERY simple procedure and what a relief! i had surgery on a friday and back to work monday. you'll be fine and feel soooo much better! good luck!
  • RebeccaGalardo
    Options
    I had the surgery done in 07, but it was an emergency. Because I let the pain go on too long the procedure was much rougher for me. You're SOOOO doing the right thing!!!

Rebecca
  • janesmith1
    janesmith1 Posts: 1,511 Member
    Options
    My suffering is less because I'm taking Stone Free by Planetary Herbals.
  • alisons7598
    alisons7598 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I had mine taken out in January 2001 when my daughter was a month old. I was in the hospital a week because I went in through the ER and no one could seem to figure out the best way to deal with it. The day I got out of the hospital we went out to eat because I was going stir crazy:) I was feeling back to my old self within a day or two. Just don't be surprised if your body doesn't digest things well anymore. I have a lot of "tummy" issues even 10 yrs later. You will feel SO much better when it's done though!
  • bachooka
    bachooka Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    yes i have heard from many people that they have digestive issues. but I also looked it up online...(i'm a nerd that way, I've watched a laprascopic gallbladder surgery three times so far :P) and they say that you should discuss in detail any digestive problems you are having after 3 months.
  • MasterSpater
    MasterSpater Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    You'll end up crapping in ways you've never crapped before if you eat anything greasy. But other than that, you'll be fine. It's no big deal.
  • bachooka
    bachooka Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    My big thing is that i have three toddlers, and there is no way I can go without lifting them for the three weeks my doctor has suggested.
  • HMKan
    HMKan Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    I had mine taken out in October of 2009. I had no pain or anything until the night I had it taken out. I had no idea to even look for it. But I threw up (which is rare for me) and had a pain and a sense that I might need to get to the ER. They identified it pretty quickly and admitted me for surgery. I ended up being in the hospital for 4 nights because they had to squeeze me in and apparently that took a couple days. Once I was done and out, I was in pretty good shape. The only thing I notice now is that hangovers are VERY different and I get heartburn much easier (never had it before) now if I don't watch what I eat.
  • kjensen15
    kjensen15 Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    I had mine taken out in 2004 laproscopically. Had it out on a Friday and was back to work and taking my finals by Monday. I slept most the day Friday after I'd gotten home and then went to the mall Saturday. I felt like I'd done a thousand crunches but even that soreness had gone away within a few days. Also, I think I only took one of my pain pills friday evening to help me sleep! Its a very easy procedure now and will make you feel pretty close to new again instantly! Good luck!
  • kjensen15
    kjensen15 Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    You'll end up crapping in ways you've never crapped before if you eat anything greasy. But other than that, you'll be fine. It's no big deal.

Oh so true! :laugh:
  • amuhlou
    amuhlou Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    I had mine out (laproscopic) in September 2009. It was a very fast surgery, but what really gets you is the gas they use to inflate your abdomen so they can see better. Have ice packs ready! You will also want a recliner or somewhere you can sleep upright, as laying flat is pretty painful at first.

I had mine out on a Thursday morning and came home that evening. I rested for the weekend and then worked from home the following week. I was still quite sore in the abdomen area so wearing pants with a non-elastic waist would have been terrible! The pain meds also exhausted me, so I don't think I could have made it a full 9 hour day at the office.

You will do fine and be sure to give your body the rest it needs! When you're in recovery, be sure to tell people if the pain seems excessive and/or if you're feeling nauseous. You definitely want your pain to be managed before you go home. I almost went home but started to feel pretty terrible and ended up getting some extra meds and taking a nap before leaving.
  • monkeybelle83
    monkeybelle83 Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    I had mine out last July, and I felt SO much better afterward. Mine had failed, no stones, so my symptoms were a bit different. I stopped digesting fats, so they just hung out in my abdominal area. Surgery was quick, I was home the same day, but I had trouble lifting anything remotely heavy for about a week or two. Just make sure to rest and take care of yourself, or the recovery time will be that much longer.
  • IMDABOMBthe0wife0DABEAST
    Options
    I had mine out in 2005 just after Mothers day. I had no trouble after the surgery and i wanted to go for a walk that afternoon. I took it easy for the 1st week and then packed up the majority of my home to move the 2nd week after surgery. Not everyone has the digestive issues, but i do have problems with greasy food. Now that I track my food here on MFP and have lost over 100lbs, I do not seem to have the quick need for a bathroom.

Good luck. You will be glad that you get it taken out if you are having the pain I experienced prior to the surgery.
  • Stefani74
    Stefani74 Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    it was a VERY simple procedure and what a relief! i had surgery on a friday and back to work monday. you'll be fine and feel soooo much better! good luck!

Mine was the same...I missed one day of work! And I had no digestive complications from it as I have heard some people do. Best of luck to you!
  • kdouglas11
    kdouglas11 Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    just sit and let them come to you. I had csections... and that's what I did with my toddler... ti worked good.
  • Dallas9293
    Dallas9293 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I had my surgery in July 2003. I had pain and discomfort for almost a month before it finally got so bad, that I had an attack. Thought I was having a heart attack. Unfortunately, my gallbladder was in such rough shape they had to perform the old school procedure. It took me about 3 weeks before I was back to feeling like my old self, but I've had zero problems since! Take it easy, follow the doctor's orders, and you'll do great! Good luck!