Advice Please!

Options
so...here's the scoop. I have $8 on me for dinner. I have one hour between work and class in which I need to drive about 45 minutes. Needed: ideas of something healthy/filling I can pick up and eat on the go that are cheap :P

Replies

• dragonbug300
    dragonbug300 Posts: 760 Member
    Options
    It depends on what's around you and what you're looking for. Do you mean take-out food from a restaurant? Groceries?
  • sweetnshy
    sweetnshy Posts: 97
    Options
    I've got grocery stores and fast food all on the way from work to class. Either or works. Just trying to avoid the mcdonalds trap...
  • emilex
    emilex Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Well, as far as fast food goes...I think that a couple tacos from Taco Bell on the Fresco menu are pretty filling and good. 2 steak fresco tacos are are 150 calories each and then I get a unsweetened iced tea as a drink.
    The other fast food item I like is the Wendy's ultimate chicken grill with an iced tea. Also not bad calorie wise.
  • Sigra
    Sigra Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    Sprouts?
    Natural Groceries?

Veggie Chips are not really that expensive, filling, and good.

or you could end up going to a corner store, in the "fresh" section and getting a Yogurt parfait? Panera Bread also has great low-cal choices, just stay away from the soup! - I'm not sure what is around you :)
  • Jessica_Lo
    Jessica_Lo Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    KFC Grilled chicken. Is that on your way? For sides get green beans and corn and tell them to keep the bread.
  • gagagul
    gagagul Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Hi, I will tell you what I do on my class days where I am pressed for time. I either bring in leftover to work and eat that for lunch and I make a sandwich usually for dinner so I can eat it when I am at school. If not I do a footlong sub at subway for lunch eat half and take the other half with me to class works great and is the healthier choice. If not any kind of sandwich will do preferrably turkey no mayo on wheat eat half then take the other half for dinner. I do this a lot!!!! Helps keep me on track and under my goal everyday!
  • rmhand
    rmhand Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    A sandwich like Subway, Quiznos, or Jimmy Johns might fit in your price range. The unwich from Jimmy Johns looks tasty to me.
  • trutherford1
    Options
    Hey There! I'm always on the go and looking for something healthy to eat. I do a Protein Shake that I get from my wellness coach. There's more nutrition in it than a plate of food........let me know if you want more info....
  • sweetnshy
    Options
    I remembered to grab lunch, but forgot about dinner. Mondays and Wednesdays are my long days, I work from 9am-5 and than class from 6p to 830pm. There is a subway right on my way, I think I might have to grab a sub. I love the flatbread :)
  • koolgurl84
    Options
    If its a dairy queen around, they have these grill chicken wraps that are cheap and low in calories. I think there 2 for $3 and are 200 in calories for each wrap. I hope this helps you.
  • kevanos
    kevanos Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    can of sardines, some wholewheat crakers and a large box of milk.
  • BamBam1113
    BamBam1113 Posts: 542 Member
    Options
    The Fresco Menu at Taco Bell is very guilt free. And if the taste is a little lacking, I load mine up with the hot sauce packs...0 calories in their sauces. I know the position you're in because i have been there too! It's tough eating on the go, but you could also always pack something from home. I've started doing that more and not only am I losing weight, but I'm saving a BUNCH of money from eating out everyday. GOOD LUCK!
  • sweetnshy
    Options
    I usually do bring leftovers. :) I remembered my lunch but totally spaced out on the dinner part. Add that to the driving a new car (yikes it's a stick and I just learned how Saturday night) It's been a stressful day just trying to get out the door!
  • kevanos
    kevanos Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    Humus and pita, with an apple.