Tight thighs

wdwghettogirl
wdwghettogirl Posts: 559 Member
edited September 26 in Fitness and Exercise
I need a few suggestions... I found in my bottom dresser drawer a pair of jeans that had been much too tight a while back, but now fit. Problem is my thighs... they fit my butt great and button/zip no prob. No muffin top (YAY!). But they're still pretty tight around my thighs. I need ideas on exercises I can do to tone them up. They're pretty firm, not a lot of jiggle there, so it's not really fat that's the prob. I just need to tone up the muscle that's there. I do lunges and squats in almost every work out I do... is there anything else you've found that tones that area really well? I'd hate for my thighs to be what holds me back from smaller sizes... even this pair is gapping at the waist but I can't go smaller till my thighs tone up. Thoughts??

Replies

• merrillfoster
    merrillfoster Posts: 855 Member
    Try yoga to lengthen out the muscles, rather than bulking them up more.
  • mustangurl
    mustangurl Posts: 104 Member
    yeah i was going to say the problem may be they are too muscular now if there is not a lot of jiggle! i'm not really sure what to say except try some stretching.
  • hpsnickers1
    hpsnickers1 Posts: 2,783 Member
    Muscles can't tone. They can't get harder. They can get bigger and/or stronger, smaller and/or weaker or stay the same.

We all have defined muscles. You have to burn off the layer of fat covering it. (We all have 6-pack abs!!). As women this can be very hard to do.

Try strength/resistance training. This will increase your lean muscle mass and you will burn more fat during sitting, normal activity and even sleeping. Some cardio is good too. You won't bulk up. That's very, very hard for women to do. It's even hard for men to do. It takes a calorie surplus, lots of protein and lots of testosterone - one thing women don't have. I've been doing squats and lunges like crazy (with weights) and my thighs have gotten smaller because I'm burning off the fat.

If you want your muscles to get smaller then just do lots of cardio. But with smaller muscles comes a lowered metabolism. And that means you will have to eat less and less to keep losing weight.

And you can't make muscles longer either.
  • Don't forget the inner and outer thigh! Adductor/Abductor machine at the gym, or side leg lifts should help.

You also may just be more muscular in the thighs and have a skinny waist - this has been me almost my entire life (except right now, it's all big right now! haha!). I've gotten used to looking for wider leg jeans and having things taken in in the waist...
  • sarahs440
    sarahs440 Posts: 405
    I too have gained a ton of muscles in my thinghs, but lost no inches. It is kind of annoying. I run and do Jillian Michaels DVD's (right now the shred) so i am doing a ton of lunges and squats. I dont want to bulk up though!! I want my legs skinny but firm. Thanks for asking. Hoping to see some good replies!!
  • jenjam27
    jenjam27 Posts: 44 Member
    Try pilates...Winsor Pilates has a great DVD only 20 min. I have always thought I'm a big boned person and I too have thick thighs, not fat just thick I bulk up very easy, when I did pilates I was amazed. I was excited that I could have "little" parts and in the end I'm not a big boned person. I haven't done them in years but my 8 year old and I are going to start them tonight.
  • jenjam27
    jenjam27 Posts: 44 Member
    Try pilates...Winsor Pilates has a great DVD only 20 min. I have always thought I'm a big boned person and I too have thick thighs, not fat just thick I bulk up very easy, when I did pilates I was amazed. I was excited that I could have "little" parts and in the end I'm not a big boned person. I haven't done them in years but my 8 year old and I are going to start them tonight.
This discussion has been closed.