pilates

Options
JOY621
JOY621 Posts: 71 Member
Does pilates burn calories? Unlike other exercises, I didn't feel like I really worked out. I mean I didn't sweat that much and didn't feel the difference.

Replies

• austxdreamin
    Options
    It does burn calories, but not like a cardio workout will. I usually do pilates after my cardio - it gets in some great stretches (which feels good after the elliptical) and really works on the core area (therfore avoiding the dreaded crunch).
  • jmkerbel
    jmkerbel Posts: 1
    Options
    I wore my Polar FT7 the first time I went to a mat class, and it said I burned 142 calories in 60 minutes. The next class was on the Reformer machine, and I didn't wear it, but I am sure it was much more than that as it was much more active. I'm wearing it from now on so I can keep track.
  • meggonkgonk
    meggonkgonk Posts: 2,066 Member
    Options
    Pilates is a version of bodyweight exercises. This means it does tone and burn but it doesnt' get your heartrate up. If you look it up in the database, it only burns a very minimal number of calories.

On a side note- pilates has been a great supplement to my other workouts- my abs have been getting fierce. And I find them to be fairly mellow for when I need a slower pace.
  • JOY621
    JOY621 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I wish I can do cardio. I live upstairs in an apt complex and if I jump, the people who live downstairs complaint. So I switched to pilates. I hope I get the same result as cardio.