Sodium

Options
kmg748
kmg748 Posts: 40 Member
Trying to figure out what a normal amount of sodium should be for a day. I am trying to watch how much sodium I take in within a 24 hr period. It is extremely hard though, I just can't believe how high it is at the end of the day. Any suggestions. I feel like I'm eating good but salad dressings alone are high, it's frustrating. The other part is I've gained weight this past week and am so frustrated with myself that I could care a less about food. So not sure what I am doing wrong.

Replies

• TAMMY_76
    TAMMY_76 Posts: 199
    Options
    Bump...I need to know this too..everything so high in sodium
    And it's so hards to decide what to eat during the day that won't send my sodium levels through the roof
  • TheDeviation
    Options
    2300mg for people under 51. 1500mg for 51 and over, black, high blood pressure, kidney issues, etc..

Sodium is still needed. It helps maintain fluid balance and it's an electrolyte. But there's a surplus of sodium in just about everything these days. That's even more true with "diet" foods. They takes the fats out (aka TASTE) and replace it with salt hoping to improve the taste.

Read more here: http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/sodium/NU00284

How much weight? Sodium and potassium both play a role in fluid balance.
  • jodik11
    jodik11 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I struggled with sodium in the beginning and realized that I was eating to much processed food. I'm really concious of what I'm putting into my body now so that means reading all the labels and putting back things that are really high in sodium, fat, calories etc. It takes some getting used too but you can do it. I gave up a lot of food that I loved and I'm now eating lots of fruits & veggies and all that other good stuff, but I'm thanking myself now for it. lol
  • sarahs440
    sarahs440 Posts: 405
    Options
    try dropping your sodium to 1500 mg a day. It is hard, but it can be done. Coming from a salt fanatic, it can be done! Just play around with different foods and you will find a healthy balance, and it will make a difference in your weight loss. Good luck!
  • 1enigma1
    1enigma1 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    If you are on a low-sodium diet, I think the recommended amount is no more than 1200 mg/day. It is VERY hard to keep to that amount, especially if you eat a lot of processed and/or canned foods. Some canned foods are far worse than others (e.g., soups).
  • 00trayn
    00trayn Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    I have tried to cut back myself. Basically, things that are high in sodium are frozen meals, fast food (even "good" fast food like Subway and PotBelly sandwiches are really high), soups, and condiments. I've been focusing on eating more fresh food, checking sodium on the label before I buy, and trying to eat out less. Even then, it's a miracle when I'm under 2000mg for the day! Its just something to be conscious of when making food choices. If you look it up ahead of time, it's easier to plan.
  • LauraDubbleya
    LauraDubbleya Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I've been watching my sodium levels too and omg is it ever hard to keep on top of it. Most canned or processed foods contain loads of Sodium so be careful around those. Ham is no longer allowed in my diet. I stick to fresh or frozen fruits and veggies and even then, I eye the nutrition labels. Reading labels is the key to keeping down the levels. Good luck.
  • kmg748
    Options
    It is extremely hard. I havn't had much to eat yet today, 2 slices of toast, coffee, cream, 1 cup yogurt, can of tuna, light miracle whip, onion and 1 stalk celery and I'm over 700. How can I make this work? I feel like I'm eating pretty fresh most days not all. Any good salad dressing any can recommend low in sodium? Help I am at a loss.
  • carlynishere
    carlynishere Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    READ LABELS - READ LABELS - READ LABELS!!

Seriously though...EVERYTHING we eat nowadays is LOADED with sodium. When I first started out a few months ago, I was eating upwards of 4000-5000mg Sodium - and I just could not believe it. I mean, how can someone who NEVER uses salt in cooking or seasoning at all be getting THAT much sodium.

You basically need to cut out all frozen dinners - even Lean Cuisine, etc as they are loaded with salt. Pretty much anythign that comes in a box has too much sodium in it. Like everyone else is saying, you will need to eat more fresh fruits and veggies to eliminate most of the sodium.

kmg748 - the can of tuna is probably what got you already today.

I have found that the Kraft Honey Mustard Salad Dressing is somewhat lower in sodium - 270mg per serving. I know this sounds high, but most others are 370-570mg each.

Anyway, I hope this helps!
  • desirez131
    desirez131 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I just read last night that low sodium is considered below 140mg. Everything I've seen so far is over 200mg. I'm trying to cut back but I know it will be really tough. Good luck!
  • stefanicifuentes
    Options
    I am on a low sodium conscience diet too. I aim for 1,000 - 1,500mg of sodium a day. Its very hard, but I do achieve it. A lot of Salad dressing can be high in sodium & sugar. I began to use a 1 tablespoon serving instead of the whole 2. It was actually enough for 2 cups of salad. (This coming from a person who used to POUR dressings & marinades on food. Not realizing how much sodium i was adding to my foods & frankly how uneccessary it was, now i know it doesnt take that much to enjoy the flavor)
    I JUST RECENTLY FOUND A LOW SODIUM YUMMY DRESSING - MARKETSIDE (WALMART BRAND) RASBERRY VINAIGRETTE DRESSING ALL NATURAL. ITS IN THE REFRIGERATED SECTION BY THE PRODUCE. IT ONLY HAS 65MG* OF SODIUM FOR 2 TBLSP OF DRESSING! COMPARED TO KRAFT LIGHT RASPBERRY VINAIGRETTE W/ EXTRA VIRGIN OLIVE OIL THAT HAS 240mg OF SODIUM FOR 2 TABLESP. BIG DIFFERENCE!
    Also another BIG BEWARE. I have found it impossible to eat out & have a low sodium diet. Even the foods advertised healthy Just say how many calories & maybe fat it has. They dont advertise low sodium diets! ALOT OF RESTRAUNTS HAVE REALLY HIGH SODIUM. 800 - 1,200MG PER DISH. ITS OUTRAGEOUS!! MAKE SURE YOU ASK FOR NUTRITION FACTS BEFORE ORDERING OR LOOK ONLINE IN ADVANCE IF YOU ARE PLANNING TO EAT AT A PARTICULAR RESTRAUNT.
  • kmg748
    Options
    Thank you everyone for the input, I think it's gonna take some time getting the low sodium part down to the 1200 per day. 2000 is where I'm at now, so I'm gonna need to make some changes. The funny thing is I have a ton of calories left for the day just not enough sodium, ugh! I'm not on a low sodium diet just trying to be conscious of how much goes in, I'm boarder hbp right now and trying to make changes on my own to see if it will help.