Replies

• Nysie5
    Nysie5 Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    ive gotta know too
  • msarro
    msarro Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    It depends honestly. Which do you enjoy? Both are good workouts. I personally burn more running, and I honestly can't get "enough" of a workout on an elliptical.
  • RissyKissy
    RissyKissy Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    It's also going to depends on the speed you are jogging and the incline or the speed/program you are doing on the elliptical. If you have a heart rate monitor compare both workout going at your preferred pace. If you dont have one, I guess you could put the same settings in to both machines and compare the calories burned that way too.
  • jonathandavid_t
    jonathandavid_t Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    To be honest you can probably burn just as many calories on either, as you can adjust the resistance/speed/incline/etc.

You use some different muscles on the two different machines so I'd suggest doing a bit on each; it helps you not be bored too.
  • Jessaamine
    Jessaamine Posts: 111
    Options
    Granted, this is based on what the machine tells me, but for me, elliptical for 10 minutes = 130ish calories burned. Me running at 6mph on the treadmill = 100ish calories burned.
  • dbwebb12
    dbwebb12 Posts: 6
    Options
    I have done the elliptical for thie past 5 weeks straight. I lean towards it because my knees are shot and I need a low impact work out. I agree with the other poster, it really depends on which one works for you. My wife runs on the treadmill and can't stand the elliptical and I am the opposite.
  • Elle408
    Elle408 Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    There's quite a few variables as to how much you'll burn... so it's not very easy to say outright which is better! It completely depends on how much effort you put in, which level you have the machine set to, how fast you run and how far you run.

Generally speaking I burn more on the elliptical because I put a lot of resistance in and can move faster on it. But it's always good to switch it up and do the treadmill one day and elliptical another!
  • liyahxoxo
    liyahxoxo Posts: 78
    Options
    I'm the same as msarro!! I thought it's just me !!
    ellipticals are nice and all but for some reason I feel like I don't get as good of a workout on them as I do on a treadmill... even if I up the resistance to a very high level, dont know why. but I guess it depends what you like and how YOU feel!! experiment with both for a coupe of weeks and see.
    :smile:
  • Pattyc71
    Pattyc71 Posts: 12
    Options
    I use a heart rate monitor and like msarro it just depends on intensity too. I burn more on the treadmill 30min=330 calories whereas 30min elliptical=250 calories. I push myself more when I try to run so its really up to you. If you stay in the right heart rate zone I usually will see the same calorie burn on average. The level of impact is the biggest difference I think between the two....elliptical is way easier on the knees. As long as you are doing something....
  • robertf57
    robertf57 Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    The elliptical saves you from the impact of the treadmill which is why I prefer it for my indoor workout
  • JennaM222
    JennaM222 Posts: 1,996 Member
    Options
    It depends honestly. Which do you enjoy? Both are good workouts. I personally burn more running, and I honestly can't get "enough" of a workout on an elliptical.

agreed
  • bmontgomery87
    bmontgomery87 Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    You could always do both.

I prefer the elliptical because it's easier on my knees and I get shin splints a lot.

But I still throw the treadmill in occasionally because they're totally different. And just doing the elliptical all the time doesn't keep me conditioned for sports the way actually running would.
  • ZebraHead
    ZebraHead Posts: 15,207 Member
    Options
    For me (not saying this is for anyone else) I have both and elliptical and a treadmill.

I wear and HRM:

I get a better burn with a lower body (joint impact) from my elliptical.

I have stopped using my treadmill and only use my elliptical now.

Never planning to look back...
  • tethomas73
    tethomas73 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    The elliptical saves you from the impact of the treadmill which is why I prefer it for my indoor workout

Same here plus I increase my level to 100 % and try to keep my stride above 70.
  • e1lindsay
    e1lindsay Posts: 230
    Options
    For me (not saying this is for anyone else) I have both and elliptical and a treadmill.

I wear and HRM:

I get a better burn with a lower body (joint impact) from my elliptical.

I have stopped using my treadmill and only use my elliptical now.

Never planning to look back...

you should sell me your treadmill! :wink:
  • hbrittingham
    hbrittingham Posts: 2,518 Member
    Options
    I like to switch it up between the two. I find that I burn the equivalent number of calories in 30 minutes on either one. If I'm feeling extra energetic, I tend to run on the treadmill, if not, I get on the elliptical.
  • e1lindsay
    e1lindsay Posts: 230
    Options
    i personally cannot STAND elliptical machines...for some reason, i want to punch it in the face! If i use it, i usually half a** it because i'm grouchy about it. So i stick to the treamill...sometimes i throw a spin bike in there, which actually burns more calories then both of those things! (for me, anyway)
  • ckkh
    ckkh Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I like to do both: 1/2hr on the elliptical followed by 1/2hr power walk (2.0 incline) on the treadmill. I feel the elliptical more in my legs, so the treadmill is a nice stretch after.
  • Nemilicious
    Options
    Another elliptical question btw:
    I get very dizzy on that machine. First time I tried it, I felt like fainting after 40 secs. I kept pushing little by little every time, and 10 days later I was up to... 5 mins :(
    Do you know why that may be the case, and what I can do about it?