Depression a result of diet change?

Options
So I noticed two things today:

1. My fingernails look super strong and healthier than ever. Surprised me a lot since I haven't had any milk in a couple weeks. Have had plenty of cheese though.

2. I'm feeling a little depressed today. Actually it started probably about Saturday. My husband is deployed, so of course I go through phases of missing him, but I think it's more than that. I'm wondering if my change in diet could be affecting my emotions? Anyone have any insights? Maybe certain vitamins or minerals that I might be missing out on? I'm not going to give in to my normal junk comfort foods like when I usually get in this kind of rut, but I need to find a way to get my endorphins going. I hate being sad and whiney!

Replies

• crystal10584
    Options
    could be an iron issue.
  • Tzavush
    Tzavush Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    You might want to have some blood work done,
    Sometimes low B-12 levels can affect mood and motivation. They also have a big impact on energy.
    (If this is a recurrign thing you really should talk about it with a health professional)
  • SweetBeth
    SweetBeth Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Ahh...good thought. I have always had low iron. Thanks. I'll start monitoring that.
  • Meganne1982
    Meganne1982 Posts: 451
    Options
    Also, if you're eating really low-fat that can contribute to depression. Your brain needs lots of healthy fats :)
  • oddyogi
    oddyogi Posts: 1,816 Member
    Options
    Are you taking a good multi-vitamin everyday? If not, I would definitely look into it. It guarantees that your body gets what it needs, which can be hard to do when you're cutting calories.
  • oddyogi
    oddyogi Posts: 1,816 Member
    Options
    Also, if you're eating really low-fat that can contribute to depression. Your brain needs lots of healthy fats :)

Also true! I also take fish oil everyday. :)
  • liveinbliss
    liveinbliss Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I suffer from depression regularly, but have it under control most of the time. If I restrict my calories under 1800 a day it really kicks in full force for me!
  • PNWriter
    PNWriter Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    I think our diet mind plays tricks on us. When I start out eating healthier, of course, I cut out certain foods....comfortable, familiar foods. And, no kidding, my body has a hissy fit, starting with my brain. I WANT that pizza. I WANT that bread. And I want it NOW! [can't you see me stomping my feet?]

But if you are sure to eat enough calores, at least 1,200 per day, do some exercise, drink plenty of water, and have a multi-vitamin, it's like igoring the inner-toddler. PLUS the more you see results, the more positive you will feel.

Hang in there. I totally understand. And I admire you for what you are doing. My husband was in Iraq in 1991, and I know what it's like to miss your honey. But think how you'll feel and look when he comes home!!
  • SweetBeth
    Options
    Sometimes low B-12 levels can affect mood and motivation. They also have a big impact on energy.
    (If this is a recurrign thing you really should talk about it with a health professional)

I actually had a thorough blood panel before I began the diet. It hasn't been quite 3 weeks yet, so it's too soon to do it again and check the results. Almost everything was normal before the diet began as far as blood levels.

Also after 5 failed pregnancies, I've found that neither therapy nor drugs for depression is the answer for me. My funk always goes away after a few days and I can still think clearly and make good decisions despite my emotional spasms. ;-)
  • kioga86
    kioga86 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    First and foremost, have you talked to your doctor? Changing your diet could reveal/create a whole host of issues.

Whether it be that you've somehow created a hormonal imbalance (not likely, but possible), to you just don't have that coping skill anymore (SO many people medicate their emotions with food ... been there, done that, got the coffee mug), there could be some serious physiological or psychological things going on.

When in doubt, talk to a professional! We can listen and help with lots of things, but this is something that you should take seriously. Best of luck! To quote one of my favorite philosophers: "Remember, I'm pulling for ya! We're all in this together."
  • FearAnLoathing
    FearAnLoathing Posts: 4,852 Member
    Options
    It could be many things,when I first started watching what I ate it happened to me, but it kinda went away after my body adjusted.It may be if you have cut alot of sugar from your diet a withdraw symptom,but im not going to say for sure thats what I think it is.
    Exercise helps improve my mood. I looked up foods that could improve moods and this is what i got

Omega-3 fatty acids are basically a natural anti-depressant. It decreases depression, improves your mood, and even reduces wrinkles. You can find omega-3 in wild salmon, walnuts, and flax seeds.
    Eat foods with a crunch. Foods like popcorn, carrots, apples, and celery help stimulate serotonin.
    Grape juice, red wine, green tea, vegetables, fruits, and yes, even dark chocolate can assist in a better mood and add healthy antioxidants to your diet.
  • smittycat1234
    Options
    I don't know about missing vitamins or minerals causing this but one thing that might stimulate your endorphins is vigorous exercise. It produces chemicals that improve mood and energy levels and it also can help with things like pain relief and depression. I did see a study not long ago that found that being on a diet can make people more angry. I forget the details of the study but being on a diet can put people in a bad mood. I try not to think of myself as "on a diet" because in reality diets don't work. You have to be doing something that you are willing to do for the rest of your life. It can't be a short term "I'll get to my perfect weight and then go back to the way I lived before." If you are depriving yourself that could also explain a change in mood. Reward yourself every now and then, albeit in moderation. Here is an article I found recently that I think gives some great advice about weight loss in general that you might find helpful. Best of luck and I hope you start to feel better soon.

http://www.veria.com/weight-loss-tips-remedies-natural-weight-loss.html
  • ubabe1
    ubabe1 Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    God Bless your husband for keeping our country safe!! It makes sense that you're feeling depressed because your husband is not home and you are not reaching for those "comfort" foods. You do need another outlet to channel those feelings. Do you have family close by or friends that you can spend time with either working out or some other leisure activity...like crafting, gardening or volunteering? Is there a class you've thought about taking that you can find time for now? I hope you laugh everyday!! :laugh:
  • keljo05
    keljo05 Posts: 173
    Options
    also check your B vitamins. When I don't eat enough meet ( i.e. when I did near 100% raw foods ) my B vitamins go very low and I get depressed. I realized this one day, then took a supplement pack that had 800% of B complex vitamins... 30min later I was humming at my desk and absolutely chipper... it was pretty funny at the time, lol
  • SweetBeth
    Options
    Ok you guys have given me lots of factors that I need to look into. I struggle with eating enough calories and fats. Since I switched to healthy options, I eat the same amount of food but tend to have too many calories left over at the end of the day. Like I said...I'm still new at this. I know the importance of getting enough, so I'm definitely working on finding a balance.

I've been meaning to pick up fish oil for like...months...so I'll definitely get on that too.

Thanks everyone!
  • paul87920
    paul87920 Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    I'm not a doctor, nor should my word be taken as gospel, but I experienced that for the first 2 weeks of my diet, and the first couple of times I had bad calorie days. But there's a positive side too. The first time you see that scale decrease you feel absolutely fantastic. Also, I'm able to differentiate between actual hunger and cravings. I've only been here for a month. Best of luck to you on your journey and the people here are really supportive to get you through this rocky beginning.
  • rizorw
    rizorw Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Thanks for posting this topic. Depression is something so many people don't talk about. You are possibly helping more people than you know. Thanks for eveyone who replied.
    Since dieting I have been feeling depressed also. I have been moody, tired irratible, ect, and when i exercise, it gets worse. I thought it was just me, everyone always says how good they feel, but I don't feel my happy, peppy self. I never thought it was a vitamin or mineral thing. I thought it was my inner toddler (quote from an above post). I will get better about my multi-vitamin, and Iron. I have alwas had a problem with iron.
  • SageGoddess320
    SageGoddess320 Posts: 2,589 Member
    Options

I agree! When I switched to a vegetarian diet, I noticed that I was becoming rather moody & depressed. I started taking vitamin B-12 & Fish Oil and was back to my usual self in no time.

Note: Please consult your physician before making any changes to your diet :wink:
  • SweetBeth
    Options
    It could be many things,when I first started watching what I ate it happened to me, but it kinda went away after my body adjusted.It may be if you have cut alot of sugar from your diet a withdraw symptom,but im not going to say for sure thats what I think it is.
    Exercise helps improve my mood. I looked up foods that could improve moods and this is what i got

Omega-3 fatty acids are basically a natural anti-depressant. It decreases depression, improves your mood, and even reduces wrinkles. You can find omega-3 in wild salmon, walnuts, and flax seeds.
    Eat foods with a crunch. Foods like popcorn, carrots, apples, and celery help stimulate serotonin.
    Grape juice, red wine, green tea, vegetables, fruits, and yes, even dark chocolate can assist in a better mood and add healthy antioxidants to your diet.

The exercise could use some work. I think I can rule out Omega 3. I had salmon for lunch yesterday. I eat plenty of nuts. And just a few days ago I made some muffins with flax seed. At least I'm doing one thing right.