Weight Training Machines to avoid

Options
rmhand
rmhand Posts: 1,067 Member
http://shine.yahoo.com/channel/health/the-6-exercise-machines-you-must-avoid-2470714/

This was so interesting because these are standards in most gyms. And I do most of these machines. Time to rethink my strength training plan.

Replies

• biggiwig
    biggiwig Posts: 76
    Options
    Good to know, even though I am not a big fan of weightlifting-machines. Just use my own body and dumbbells.
  • hpsnickers1
    hpsnickers1 Posts: 2,783 Member
    Options
    Good to know, even though I am not a big fan of weightlifting-machines. Just use my own body and dumbbells.

I agree. You get a restriction of motion with a lot of the machines. I do great with dumbbells and my own body weight.
  • SeasideOasis
    SeasideOasis Posts: 1,057 Member
    Options
    Oh heavens >.< Looks like I need to get my resistance bands from home before I go to the gym today. Thanks for the post!
  • EZGruv
    EZGruv Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    I absolutelty agree with that article. I see people using those machines, and others, and do my best to refrain from schooling them. If I took the time, I'd never get my workout done!
  • maureenB7
    maureenB7 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    thanks for the link! Going to show this to my trainer!
  • cacrat
    cacrat Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    There are times to use some of those lifts. The leg extension helps isolate weak quads. Seated leg press is great for those with a bad back, while still allowing some leg routine. While hyperextensions by themselves are safe, many people don't do them properly and grab too heavy a weight. I wouldn't argue against the rest of the exercices though.
  • mtegio
    mtegio Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the post!
  • Curtism1234
    Curtism1234 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    The problem with the stack machines and free weights is that they are often seperated from each other in the gym - at least in all 4 gyms I go to. I (being someone who is not social, want to do my thing, and get out) am left feeling uncomfortable being in that part of the gym that only the most ripped and most social people go. You get a very weird vibe in that corner. It's just easier to hit the stack machines; that's probably the wrong way to go about it, but...