Anyone ever done hot/heated power yoga?

Options
So a co-worker told me that he takes a yoga class where the room is heated to 110 degrees. He said it's pretty intense, but that it's an amazing experience. Like a de-toxifying & cleansing thing. Even though he almost passed out once, he said he's hooked. At first I thought, "torture", but then suddenly I became intrigued. As hard as the P90X yoga was at first, I can now get through most of it. I still find it challenging, but yet relaxing & a stress reliever.

I would like to try at least 1 class of this. I'm not sure what to look up though. Is there a technical name to google so that I know I'm getting a "heated" class? Some local studios I've found online have it listed as "power vinasa (sp?)", but not all mention if it's heated or not.

I like to hear experiences as well. My co-worker said a gal passed out during a class. I want a good experience....not a trip to the hospital :smile:

Replies

• lilybug13
    lilybug13 Posts: 154
    Options
    It's called Bikram yoga
  • amandalc980
    amandalc980 Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    i did it for a couple weeks and LOVED IT! However, it is really a committment. You have to drink a lot of water before class. I took my body weight divided by two then added another 20 ounces to that. They also say coconut water is suppossed to be good for it. Don't eat anything heavy two hours before class... Actually the recommendation is don't eat before class, but I started eating a pack of lunch meat an hour before class. I wanted to raise my sodium to help retain water from the class.

I would say do at least three classes... That way you can actually get something from it. The first class you should just try to stay in the room. Don't feel bad if you have to sit out a pose..

Its called Bikram yoga and its the same 26 poses each time. You can find the poses online to get an idea of what you will be doing.
  • kmparks24
    kmparks24 Posts: 198
    Options
    At my gym, it's called Hot Yoga and it's AMAZING! You feel SO good and clean coming out of there. Often good after a 'night out on the town' if you catch my drift. :drinker: lol
  • xaintes
    xaintes Posts: 129
    Options
    I do Bikram Yoga and it's incredible. The room is very hot, but you won't hurt yourself or pass out if you listen to the instructor and pace yourself. In Bikram, each posture is done twice - and I strongly recommended sitting out the first repitition to learn the move, and then doing the second. If you feel dizzy, sit down. If you still feel dizzy after sitting, leave the room.

The first time I went, it was really really hard. It gets easier (fast) and feels incredible. I always leave bursting with energy and destressed. You will start noticing results very quickly too if you got at least 3 times a week.
  • lisy28
    lisy28 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    I just started and have now done 3 classes!

You can not just do one because the first one is HELL i think i did 10 out of the 26 poses and laid in the "corpse posistion" for the rest of the class

the second class i managed to do the whole thing and was very impressed the 3rd class i did 20 poses...

Im going again tonight as now i quite look forward to it..

Here are some tips from a newbie Hot yoga person - Drink LOADS of water during the day to make sure you are really hydrated, Do NOT eat 2-4 hrs before the class-If a pose is too painful dont do it and if you need to rest lay in the corpse position VERY STILL - as the more you move the worse it feels in the heat...

Please make sure if you try it to do at least 2 classes

GOOD LUCK
  • HelenTheKitchen
    Options
    HOT YOGA IS AWESOME!!!
  • Lisiebird
    Lisiebird Posts: 45
    Options
    No, but I've wanted to. Instead I do the P90X Yoga X with my space heater on high. Not quite as hot but it gets the job done.
  • Fayve
    Fayve Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    I did Bikram yoga 3 times a few months ago. This was 3 times in a week, and as a few people have said, the first time was awful. I also only did about 10 poses before I laid down for the rest, forcing myself to stay in the room with every bit of strength I had. The second time felt like a breeze in comparison, but the room was slightly cooler. The 3rd time was very challenging, but I got through the poses.

At the end of the day, I'm not a huge fan. I think it's a good experience to try once, but it's very very fad-y at the moment, and I much prefer to do a normal yoga class. Also, because I don't have the best health, I found the whole process to be more taxing on my body than refreshing. I also stopped because it wasn't something I could afford as a poor student, haha.

I recommend trying it at least once though, but I'd take normal yoga over bikram yoga any day of the week.
  • corsayre8
    corsayre8 Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    Bikram yoga was the original hot yoga, although some other studios now offer hot yoga classes.

Search for "Bikram Yoga" or "Hot Yoga" in your area.

Drink at least a litre of water before class, and take water with you. Not eating three hours before class. You can tweak this later as you get to know how your body reacts to the heat, but it is a good guideline for beginners.

Make a commitment to taking a minimum of three classes he first week, more if possible. Let g of your expectations, and be ready to tap into your humility. There is nohon wrong with moving at your own pace, and stittig/laying down during class. Just stay in the room. It is a tough experience, but the rewards a beyond worth it.

If you have questions, now or in the future, feel free to message me - I taught Bikram Yoga for many years, and still have a regular Hot Yoga practice.
  • lijparsons
    lijparsons Posts: 258
    Options
    Does anyone know if Hot Yoga is a good idea for someone with high blood pressure? I have been tempted to try it, but am worried about passing out. I take meds for my BP.
  • kchambe
    kchambe Posts: 1
    Options
    I have done hot yoga many times, the first few times the heat is very overwhelming and it is a good idea to drink something that will replace your electrolites as you do sweat these out.
    I buy a powder that I add to my water and drink durning the class. Also if you arrive earlier and lie down on your mat in the class before it starts it allows you time to get accustomed.
    It is a great workout and just work at your speed, regardless of what everyone else is doing
  • oneseaurchin
    Options
    Yes - and I learned that for me, personally, I'll never do yoga in a room heated beyond 95 F. At the Bikram levels of heat, it's not just that you can pass out, although many people do, but also that the heat makes your heart work too hard, and is bad for your heart.

There are other types of yoga, like ashtanga, forrest, or vinyasa types, which also take place in heated rooms and are very de-stressing as well as effective in helping you lose weight, but which don't put your body in as extreme a situation as Bikram.

Bikram is an artificial yoga style that was stylized and branded by Bikram Choudhury in the 1970s. There are lots of other, non-dangerous types of classes out there -- try out a few others as well and see what you like.
  • NBFIT
    NBFIT Posts: 79
    Options
    Thanks guys for all the info! I wanted to learn more about it before jumping in. I found one local studio along w/reviews. About half were good/have bad. Another studio mentioned it's only 85 degrees. I may want to try that one first, lol.
  • corsayre8
    Options
    Bikram has been teaching his sequence of poses, held in a heated room, here in the US since the sixties. It has steadily been gaining in popularity since that time. Having been through his teacher training, and meet with people who began taking his classes at all different times in the last fifty years, it is funny to hear how each of them were told it was just a fad when they began.

Now I have my own reasons for no longer practicing Bikram Yoga, but there is no way I can deny the benefits to be had by anyone with the determination to stick with it. One student of mine was mostly bed ridden with a fused spine full of rods, and taking so much morphine his doctors refused to fill his prescriptions because they were convinced he was selling the drugs. After a year and a half of daily, sometime twice daily practice, he was off pain killers, back to mountain climbing and moving his body in ways his doctors said were physically impossible.

There are countless stories out there of success stories such as this with Bikram Yoga. Most of us however lack the will power to face what is difficult, uncomfortable and scary. Until we do this, there will always still be things in our life needing change.
    I did Bikram yoga 3 times a few months ago. This was 3 times in a week, and as a few people have said, the first time was awful. I also only did about 10 poses before I laid down for the rest, forcing myself to stay in the room with every bit of strength I had. The second time felt like a breeze in comparison, but the room was slightly cooler. The 3rd time was very challenging, but I got through the poses.

At the end of the day, I'm not a huge fan. I think it's a good experience to try once, but it's very very fad-y at the moment, and I much prefer to do a normal yoga class. Also, because I don't have the best health, I found the whole process to be more taxing on my body than refreshing. I also stopped because it wasn't something I could afford as a poor student, haha.

I recommend trying it at least once though, but I'd take normal yoga over bikram yoga any day of the week.
  • Mike523
    Mike523 Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    That sounds.......................... unpleasant. :tongue:
  • corsayre8
    Options
    Would love to know where you got the info that many people pass out. I tought in in over twenty studios, over a course of eight years. Not a single student in any of the studios passed out, in my class or in any other teachers class.

I'm not saying is can't happen, but spreading unwarranted fear and prejudice may just prevent someone from discovering anpractice that works for them.
    Yes - and I learned that for me, personally, I'll never do yoga in a room heated beyond 95 F. At the Bikram levels of heat, it's not just that you can pass out, although many people do, but also that the heat makes your heart work too hard, and is bad for your heart.

There are other types of yoga, like ashtanga, forrest, or vinyasa types, which also take place in heated rooms and are very de-stressing as well as effective in helping you lose weight, but which don't put your body in as extreme a situation as Bikram.

Bikram is an artificial yoga style that was stylized and branded by Bikram Choudhury in the 1970s. There are lots of other, non-dangerous types of classes out there -- try out a few others as well and see what you like.
  • callipygianchronicle
    callipygianchronicle Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    I think it’s also important to note that the room is heated for Bikram, not simply because someone thought it was a fun thing to do. I have been reading up on Bikram, because I want to expand my yoga practice and ritual nature of the repeating poses appeals to me. The warm, moist air in a Bikram class is meant to simulate Calcutta on a summer day. The heat and moisture help to loosen your joints, which makes attaining certain poses easier than in non-heated yoga classes.
  • suzieqdiva
    suzieqdiva Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    I just did my first two sessions of Bikram last week. I did get a bit sore because this is a new form of work out & extensive as well... but I LOVED it. I have some pinched nerve issues.. and am actually quite encouraged by the story of corsayre8 about how this student of his is now rock climbing! I know that Yoga has this incredible healing power & it is very powerful & meditative all at once. If I can stick with it.. I would love for this being my main exercise routine as it is weight bearing, includes core work, muscle toning and a big de-stressor! I am off to my next class this evening:)

I would definitely recommend trying 3 classes before you come to any conclusions. Good luck.
  • pandafoo
    pandafoo Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    I did bikram once, and did not like it. It was 90 minutes in a very hot room. If I'm working out, I prefer the environment to be cool. :) I've heard of lots of benefits for bikram, but the high heat causes a risk of overstretching the muscles to the point of damage. One of my former colleagues who is an ardent practitioner of bikram said that he himself experienced muscle injury from it. You can find articles online that talk about the possible risks associated with it, incl. http://www.yogapoint.com/info/article9.htm

But with any exercise, safety and proper form are the most important. I'm sure if you find a wonderful teacher who can watch out for your form, you will do great. :)