Morning exercise (before or after breakfast?)

Options
May be a dumb question but oh well I won't know if I don't ask. I like to exercise in the morning to jump start my day but don't know if eating breakfast first is better or hinders the workout. I will have water with me while exercising and have a glass of juice before starting. Any tips please.

Replies

• Jackee357
    Jackee357 Posts: 37
    Options
    Well I usually have a bar or fruit B4 I workout and after my workout I have my breakfast.
  • SheilaSisco
    SheilaSisco Posts: 722 Member
    Options
    I always eat before so my body has the fuel to burn... I've heard of ppl doing it both ways, but this works best for me. I eat a light-ish breakfast, do my workout, and then drink a glass of choc milk immediately after. I've been dropping weight consistently doing this and the choc milk after is like an immediate energy boost and stops me from shaking... I love my routine! :)
  • leah885
    leah885 Posts: 1
    Options
    I was told by a trainer to have a cup of coffee first. Have your workout and then eat breakfast. Of course, drink water before, during and after workout.

Good luck!
  • soccermom004
    soccermom004 Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    I think it depends on you. I get up at 5 and exercise before I eat anything. In fact, I shower and go to work before I eat breakfast at my desk.
  • MyNameIsNotBob
    MyNameIsNotBob Posts: 565 Member
    Options
    I find that I have more energy to get through a workout if I eat a little something beforehand (like a Clif bar). Then I'll have another something around 200 cal. after working out.
  • djhavoc
    djhavoc Posts: 43
    Options
    There are never any dumb questions when it comes to health, I've been working out mornings and I find it's best to do it before breakfast try it both ways and see how you feel once both tasks are complete.
  • bachooka
    bachooka Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    I have two breakfasts... depending on the burn. usually I will have a bowl of specialk before and an omelete afterwards. That way I don't have to scramble to eat all those extra calories afterwards.
  • ellisor1230
    Options
    I think it depends on how hard you're working out, honestly. I'm doing Insanity right now, so I have to eat before starting or I feel weak. When I was doing 30DS, I never felt weak if I didn't eat before. I think your body will let you know what you need to do. Pay attention to how you feel, and listen to your body. HTH!
  • bellawomenswellness
    bellawomenswellness Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Definitely have something small before you workout. This will give you the energy to give a lot of effort and burn more calories. I teach fitness and see a lot of participants dragging when they do not eat before their workout!

Suggestion: Whole Wheat English Muffin and Peanut Butter
  • MistyNoble1987
    Options
    For me, I have a protein shake before I exercise, then exercise, then have a small snack.. Seems to be working for me, and helps me eat less throughout the day.
  • tinahutchings
    Options
    that sounds really cool. The milk good for u and the choc. part is like a treat but not a bad one.
  • USCEE77
    USCEE77 Posts: 50
    Options
    If you have the energy for exercise you don't need to worry about breakfast. You can exercise if you're full, so have a banana or something light if you feel light headed. The experts say is best to eat something after exercise because your body will metabolize it faster.
  • shaunshaikh
    shaunshaikh Posts: 616 Member
    Options
    Experiment with it. In my opinion, if your'e going to do moderate to intense exercise for 60+ minutes, then you need to eat something before AND after. But, if what you're doing isn't really that intense or long then you don't need to.
  • tinahutchings
    Options
    Thanks everyone, Everything was very helpful. I'll experiment around and see what works. thanks again.
  • foxxybrown
    foxxybrown Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    I don't eat before my a.m. workouts.
  • biged335
    biged335 Posts: 734
    Options
    I workout before breakfast... That works out best for me.
  • craftylatvian
    craftylatvian Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    I think it depends on you. I get up at 5 and exercise before I eat anything. In fact, I shower and go to work before I eat breakfast at my desk.

I am the same way. Wake, have some coffee, work out, shower, eat at work. Wel, graze most of the morning until lunch.
  • cacrat
    cacrat Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    Since I'm a bit more lean, exercise post-fast is the best way to mobilize/oxidize stubborn fats.