what to eat at school?

Options
so as many of us all know, eating school food is bad for you and i believe it is holding me back. any ideas of what i can bring to school to eat?

Replies

• Awineburg
    Awineburg Posts: 196
    Options
    fruit and veggies are always easy, they dont need to be refrigerated. you can always bring left overs from the previous nights dinner. :)
  • bellawomenswellness
    bellawomenswellness Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Here is a list of snack ideas I have shared with my Clients. Enjoy!!! My favorites are the Cocopops with Chocolate Almond Spread, Wasa Crackers with Goat cheese and Feta topping and the Vanilla Yogurt with Coconut, Strawberries and almonds.

Apple with Cheese slices
    String Cheese with Turkey stick (Festival has these in deli isle)
    100 calorie Popcorn packs (There are a variety of flavors to choose from)

Joseph Flax Wrap with Peanut butter
    Joseph Flax wrap with MaraNatha

Activia Vanilla Yogurt with Strawberries, Dash of Coconut, dash of Almonds YUMMY!!!!
    Activia Yogurt with Kashi Berry Crumble Granola

Wasa Crackers with Goat Cheese
    Wasa Crackers with Peanut butter
    Wasa Cracker with goat cheese; top with feta, dash of olive oil, garlic salt, basil and tomato (YUMMY!!!) HINT: Mix feta, olive oil, basil, garlic salt and tomatoes in bowl

Quaker Chocolate Crunch Rice cakes topped with MaraNatha or Nutella
    Quaker Carmel Corn Rice Cakes topped with MaraNatha or Nutella

CoCoPop topped with Dark Chocolate Almond Butter. (I discovered these while in New York. They are AMAZING! The Cocopops are wafers with only 16 calories, no fat, no sugar no preservatives. They are sinfully delicious with the MaraNatha Dark Chocolate Almond Butter. You may have to order this product online, but you wont regret it. It will be your midnight indulgence with no guilt!

Hope that gives you a few ideas!
  • coderedcoderedjkjk
    Options
    I bring various snacks instead of eating a normal lunch. I usually bring a banana, a fiber one 90 cal bar, and a handful of almonds. This is like 300 calories, and then I eat something right when I get home. There's absolutely nothing to buy at school that's healthy, and I need a lot of willpower. It's hard to turn down the vending machines :c Also a big breakfast helps me get through the day.
  • Jamcnair
    Jamcnair Posts: 586 Member
    Options
    My go-to meal is whole wheat bread, sliced deli turkey with a small slice of cheese and maybe some spinach leaves. I'll pack some fruit and/or a yogurt, low-calorie pudding if you want a "dessert"..you can always bring some baby carrots with a little ranch dressing or hummus.
  • Sara7Taylor
    Sara7Taylor Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I am also a student. I attend Spokane Falls Community College.

Here is my lunch list

1. Cooked and seasoned chicken breast on top of spinach leaves, with flax seed, mandarin oranges, and lite house sesemee ginger dressing.

2. Turkey or tuna fish sandwich, sunchips, and carrots and celery or an apple

3. For a short day at school, low calorie trail mix, apple or other piece of fruit.

4. Or, my favorite, leftovers from last nights dinner! And some sort of fruit or veggie. :)
  • Juliebean_1027
    Juliebean_1027 Posts: 713 Member
    Options
    Since I work full time and go to school full time it's difficult for me to stay within my calories if I don't plan ahead. On the nights when I have class I bring a lunch with me. Here's what I typically pack:

Uncrustable peanut butter and jelly sandwich (210 calories)
    Apple/Orange (50-100 calorie)
    100 calorie pack of almonds (100 calories, duh right? :wink: )
    Carrots (35 calories)
    Weight watchers chocolate cake (80 calories)

There are tons of options, just make sure you're eating as many fruits and veggies as you can. And drink plenty of water! I usually bring 2-3 1 liter water bottles with me (pre-mixed with crystal light packets). Hope this helps!
  • celticgirl1787
    Options
    Well, stuff like baby carrots and the dole fruit in 100% juice cups make for easy fruits and veggies. Homemade sandwiches are great too - whole grain bread with chicken or turkey (and if your calories allow, a slice of natural cheese) or even a pbj made with natural, unsweetened peanut butter can be a healthy choices. If you want something crunchy in place of potato chips, try pretzels or even sunchips.
    If you get hungry during the day, which happens to me sometimes, something like a fiber one granola bar might be a good choice - filling and healthy.
  • Sara7Taylor
    Sara7Taylor Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Oh, and make everything the night before! It's so much easier not having to make lunch in the morning. :smile:
  • PlanetVelma
    PlanetVelma Posts: 1,231 Member
    Options
    One thing I do for my son (he's in High School and has access to a microwave) is after we make dinner, I'll make him a homemade TV Dinner and put it in the freezer. I try to make enough food so I can make at least 2-3 homemade TV Dinners. I've done this with Spaghetti and meatballs (btw I make my own meatballs w/ ground turkey - email me if you want the recipe, it's SUPER easy); shredded chicken (for chicken salads); couscous & salmon (this does not freeze well, btw); enchiladas w/ beans (I pack a side salad for meals like this). I also buy the flat out wraps and he makes quesadillas when we have leftover chicken, ground turkey, etc...

I also pack him a banana, water, apple slices (he has braces), baby carrots, granola bar....i try to make it different every day. My daughter is 9 so I make her sandwiches on toast w/ low fat cream cheese or a left over turkey burger patty melt (baked in the oven - waaaay lower in fat than a traditional patty melt).

If you want add me and you can check out my diary. I bring my lunch to work more days than not. :)
  • PlanetVelma
    PlanetVelma Posts: 1,231 Member
    Options
    Oh, and make everything the night before! It's so much easier not having to make lunch in the morning. :smile:

I agree! We do this at my house and we have one shelf just for lunch stuff. It makes things WAAAYY easier in the mornings. I also try to lay out what I need to throw together breakfast (the night before) for the kids (bread, peanut butter, etc...).

My daughter goes to daycare before school and she takes her breakfast with her - usually it's toast & peanut butter, but sometimes she'll pack honey nut cheerios & a thermos of milk.
  • SaraTonin
    SaraTonin Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    What does your school serve?

My school had great healthy food... Better than what I would have made at home, anyway.
  • CalPolyBronco
    CalPolyBronco Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    I try to eat a pretty decent breakfast & dinner w/ a snack after dinner.....while I'm at school I eat a Clif Bar or Power Bar (that I brought from home) and my MiO . I'll buy a bottle of water and add the flavoring to it. It doesn't sound like much but it holds me through until the day is over & then I come home and eat my dinner.
  • snowflakelaia
    Options
    if you bring your own lunch to school, you can either have a cold meal:
    -one greek plain yougurt has lots of protein; add a protein bar or a piece of fruit since the yogurt is plain. Usually eat some nuts or/and cereal too.
    -lettuce with hummus rolls (spread some hummus on iceberg lettuce, then roll it up), a sliced apple with some cinnammon sprinkled on it -if you warm this mixture it will be delicious.
    -I may have a lettuce/spinach salad with tomato and some olives, topped with one full can of tuna. I use balsamic vinegar of modena. A piece of fruit for dessert.
    a warm meal -if you have access to a microwave:
    -cous-cous with some chicken and tomato
    -steamed veggies (broccoli+onions+carrots+green beans) with chicken or eggs.
    -a big onion, sliced that you microwave for 3 minutes, then sprinkle with black pepper and with 2 tb of balsamic vinegar of modena. Add some tuna from the can once the onion it's quite cooked.
    -boiled pasta with some olive oil and oregano/italian herbs, add some grilled chicken to it. Sometimes I top it with a can of tuna (2 servings).

I hardly ever eat any meat Mo-Fri because it takes long to digest and I feel sleepy. That's why the yogurt and cold meals feel better. However, that's what works for me. You can try out everything here.
    Many students feel tired and sleepy after lunch, and no wonder since the food given at the school is so processed and in high-"bad" carbhydrates.