Help me please

Options
Ruby53
Ruby53 Posts: 61 Member
Can anyone help me, I have an Eliptical trainer at home, well its outside in a barn as there is no room in our house, and today I used it for 20 minutes got my heart rate up nicely and according to my HRM I burnt 127 calories, but I put it into the exercise on MYFP as 20 minutes of eliptical the calorie burn was 242 calories? so I put it down as 15mins which equalled the 127?

Now should I have used the 242 calories or 127 as my HRM says?

Any help would be appreciated

Ruby

Replies

• WarmDontBurn
    WarmDontBurn Posts: 1,253 Member
    Options
    I always trust my HRM as the site is used for everyone and doesn't take into account height, weight and age.

What kind of HRM do you have...does it have a chest strap?
  • swiftgirls2
    Options
    Try: www.fatburn.com. Choose your exercise, your weight and it tells you how many calories you burn.
  • papastu
    papastu Posts: 737 Member
    Options
    trust the HRM, i get same problem with gym equipment ... its way different
  • udallmom101
    udallmom101 Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    I ALWAYS go as to what my HRM says. It is more accurate than the machine, as it is attached to your body. If you have one with a chest strap, ALWAYS go with the HRM!
  • abbyg82
    abbyg82 Posts: 2
    Options
    Use what the elliptical says. It will be more accurate because it knows how fast you went and how much energy you were exerting.
  • Holton
    Holton Posts: 1,018
    Options
    I tend to post the lower number to ensure I am getting the overall benefit in the long term.
  • michaelduke31
    michaelduke31 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    i always use what the machine says, not what this website calculates for you.. or you could always try researching a little online to get a more accurate number burned. just a few ideas... but i wouldnt change your "minutes" just to get the cals to equal out. dont sell yourself short on the workout. you did 20, put 20!
  • Rebjones612
    Rebjones612 Posts: 408
    Options
    Try: www.fatburn.com. Choose your exercise, your weight and it tells you how many calories you burn.
    bump....thanks I wanna check out this website!
  • rmhand
    rmhand Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    HRM. and make sure your weight is up to date on on MFP and your HRM if you can program that. the more you weigh the more calories you will burn.
  • zumbateacher
    Options
    Use your heart rate monitor count.
  • mikeyml
    mikeyml Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    If you're using a quality HRM that has a chest strap then that number is by far the more accurate. Either way it's better to under estimate calories burned than over estimate them.
  • Ruby53
    Options
    Its a Reebok wrist one that you have to put your thumb on a silver button on the front! to get a heart rate reading I am not sure it is as accurate as a chest strap though?
  • chach918
    chach918 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I use the lower one. I rather be wrong on the side not adding extra calories to my diet.
  • WarmDontBurn
    WarmDontBurn Posts: 1,253 Member
    Options
    Its a Reebok wrist one that you have to put your thumb on a silver button on the front! to get a heart rate reading I am not sure it is as accurate as a chest strap though?

No it isn't. The chest strap will monitor your HR the whole time and really is the best way to get the most accurate reading. Nothing is 100% but a HRM with a chest strap is as accurate as you are going to get.
  • Ruby53
    Options
    Thank you guys, I knew you would help me! I am going with what my HRM says and use the 127 calories!
  • tmp4851
    tmp4851 Posts: 4
    Options
    The HRM is your best bet. Fitness equipment manufacturers have been known to put more calories burned so that you are happy with their product. There are equations you can use for Treadmill and Stationary Bike exercise but not for an elliptical. Also, not to mention the difference in who makes which elliptical and the intensity at which you exercised in comparison to the one the website uses.
  • mikeyml
    mikeyml Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    Thank you guys, I knew you would help me! I am going with what my HRM says and use the 127 calories!

Yea it's tough to tell honestly. With the wrist ones you have to keep holding the button down for it to get a reading. The chest strap ones continuously monitor your heart rate so they are more accurate. I'd still enter the wrist one if I were you but neither of those estimates are going to be entirely accurate.
  • SassyStef
    SassyStef Posts: 413
    Options
    I always go with my HRM and I use this site....
    http://www.braydenwm.com/calburn.htm

If my calories seem a little high I always use 85% of them :smile:
  • hllamaster
    hllamaster Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I use the one from MFP...they seam to be more on target...they all are generic but they seam to be closer
  • myukniewicz
    myukniewicz Posts: 906 Member
    Options
    trust the HRM.

what kind do you have???