work-out dilema, please help me!!

Options
Hello! I just joined myfitnesspal today and so far I am loving the support and advice that is put out there with these message boards and I figured I should post my main concern when it comes to getting optimal results from exercise. I have been going to the gym a few times a week for the last month, now I am determined to be diligent about going 4 times a week. My main concern is that I work until about 7pm and I go straight to the gym, get there about 8pm and work out for an hour and am home by about 9. It is really difficult for me to get there in the morning so I just go late. Problem: of course, when I get home from the gym I need to eat, but that means I am eating dinner at 9pm!! Any suggestions on the best way to handle this schedule? I want to keep my gym schedule but I also do not want to counteract my progress by eating at the wrong time or eating the wrong things. Should I bring lunch AND an early dinner to work? Thank you!!

Replies

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,116 Member
    Options
    You should eat some protein within 45 minutes of a workout.

It doesn't matter to your body what time you eat, it does matter that you eat regularly and have something after your workout.

Can you change your eating schedule to fit? When I worked out at night I had a protein snack afterwards - usually with dairy, and it helped me sleep. The worst part was feeling ramped up late at night and having trouble going to sleep.
  • Flyntiggr
    Flyntiggr Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    Big meal at lunch, protein an hour before, and then smaller 'snack' type meal after gym and before bed.
  • tmp4851
    tmp4851 Posts: 4
    Options
    I would try your best to get to the gym before work. I know its hard but trust me its worth it. You then cut out the issue of eating late and getting your endorphins boosted before bedtime making it harder to fall alseep. IF that is not possible I would bring your meal with you. Eat a light dinner about an hour to an hour and twenty minutes before working out. Protein recovery drink after the workout is fine, but nothing high in calories due to how late you get home. Good luck in reaching your goals!
  • ChristinaT0507
    ChristinaT0507 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    this one sounds like the best idea. with the bigger lunch you shouldnt be too hungry by the time you get to the gym. it IS important to eat something, especially protein right after your workout, and it will make you feel much better than eating a huge meal before bed :) also the protein is important in the muscle growth. ive also learned that right after a workout is a good time to eat something with a little sugar, preferably natural sugars. I would eat a granola bar with chocolate chips, or sometimes just chocolate milk with my protein (you could also do raisins, yogurt, fruit, etc). i dont eat sugar throughout the day but it helps with the post workouts. my trainer taught me that and i do it everytime :)
  • yellowpieceofpaper
    Options
    Thank you all so much for the suggestions! As I am going to the gym more often it is easier than I thought to not eat like a crazy person after my workout; I am hungry when I get home but not starving and having good protein for a later lunch helps a lot too. Good luck to everyone!!
  • mikeyrp
    mikeyrp Posts: 1,616 Member
    Options
    I finish my workout at 9pm - I'll happily eat a tuna pasta bake or similar when I get home - its best to prepare it so its ready when you get back. Plan b is to get a protein/carbs bar at the gym post workout and eat dinner at lunchtime
  • mikeyrp
    mikeyrp Posts: 1,616 Member
    Options
    I finish my workout at 9pm - I'll happily eat a tuna pasta bake or similar when I get home - its best to prepare it so its ready when you get back. Plan b is to get a protein/carbs bar at the gym post workout and eat dinner at lunchtime