Upper arm strengthening

Options
Just curious what most of you do to strengthen your upper arms? Also, this might sound silly but do any of you use the shake weight, and has it worked for you?
~I am specfically curious about ways to tone and firm up my triceps if anyone has any good advice. I don't regularly lift weights either so I need a beginners guide. :-D

Replies

• emilylaura7
    Options
    Google "tricep exercises"....the first link has them right there for you!
  • lemonychick
    lemonychick Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Tricep dips are a killer, but really effective! Sit on the very edge of a solid chair, place your hands beside your hips, then lift your bum off the chair and lower yourself past the edge of the chair itself. You're basically supporting your upper body weight with your triceps then......I can only do about 10! lol!
  • JennLifts
    JennLifts Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options
    bi's and tri's? I'd say google too, it's kind of hard to explain exercises through text ;-p
  • getfitdiva
    getfitdiva Posts: 1,148 Member
    Options
    I have noticed some differences in my triceps and shoulders after alternating these workouts.

Jackie Warner Upper Body [ExerciseTV] (serious arm workout!)
    Jillian Michaels 30 Day Shred & Shredding It w/ Weights [DVD/ExercisetTV] (she really tackles shoulders and arms)
    Insanity Upper Body Weight Training [DVD] (another combo cardio and upper body arm and body workout)
  • CalPolyBronco
    CalPolyBronco Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    I have the 30 Day Shred & I am so out of shape that it absolutely kills me to do it. I am SO sore that I can barely move the next day lol. I really need to build up my endurance. But that's a good suggestion you're right, thank you.
  • CalPolyBronco
    CalPolyBronco Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    Never thought to do dips in a chair. I've seen them featured in tons of workout magazines. I'll probably only be able to do like 2 my first time! haha but that's ok....it's worth a shot.....good suggestion. :happy:
  • tmp4851
    tmp4851 Posts: 4
    Options
    Try using some light weights. 3 lbs. to 8lbs. to start with. Try looking up the following exercises and doing 2 sets of 12 to 20 repetitions each.

Bent over Tricep Extension

Bicep Curl

Nose Breakers or Skull Crushers (dont be afraid because of the name...its great)

Seated bicep Curl

Front Shoulder raise

Tricep dips (many varieties..choose the beginner and work your way up)