Salad Dressing recomendations???

Options
kscutie
kscutie Posts: 32 Member
What are some good, low calorie salad dressings? I feel like all of the low cal ones taste like garbage.
My husband just puts olive oil on his salads, and I've tried that...but to me it just tastes greasy and makes me want to gag!

So instead of buying 15 different dressings...I thought I'd have the wonderful MFP people help!

Thanks!

Replies

• mfergie889
    Options
    Trader Joes reduced fat Cilantro dressing is SO GOOD!
  • donicagalek
    donicagalek Posts: 526
    Options
    Buy a salad dressing bottle and make your own! Vinegar, lemon juice, salt, pepper, your favorite spices and a *small* bit of EVOO.
  • Sigra
    Sigra Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    Free Italian Dressing, 15cal per 2tbsp
  • lisy28
    lisy28 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    i LOVE just plain old balsamic vinegar and a little oil and to give it an extra oommpphh i put in a little bit of seeded mustard

YUMO
  • kterranova2
    kterranova2 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Try just using a little cup and dipping your fork into it before each bite, you'll be surprised at how much less dressing you can use and still have the good stuff! :) Good luck!
  • glamazonjenn
    glamazonjenn Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Lime juice and calantro...yummy
  • snowflakelaia
    Options
    I buy Balsamic vinegar of Modena. It's somewhat sweet. I usually add some oregano and spices on top of that, and a bit of olive oil.
    The vinegar is very tasteful, and it has a small amount of sugar. Oregano and Italian herbs/seasoning are very healthy for your body too, and add flavor to veggies.
  • Setof2Keys
    Setof2Keys Posts: 681 Member
    Options
    Def kraft low fat balsamic Vin. I also add some real lemon juice. Oddly it tastes pretty good if you have tomatoes and avacados and a low cal cheese.
  • RodrigoBorgia
    Options
    Hate to go the olive oil route...

1 tbsp of olive oil
    1 tsp of balsamic vinegar
    pepper to taste.

It tastes great, is good for you, and easy to prepare.
  • kylakesgal
    kylakesgal Posts: 952 Member
    Options
    Hi I love a good dressing too and I've found if it's low calorie or low fat, it has something extra added that's just as bad such as sodium and sometimes they are even higher in fat. I like Kraft Sun dried tomato vinaigrette, it has 60 calories for 2 tbsps and also like Wishbone romano basil vinaigrette which also has 60 calories per serving. I've tried just plain olive oil(didn't like it either) and oil and vinegar (nope). Hope this helps and good luck to you:)
  • hikingmonk
    hikingmonk Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    A good balsamic vinegar and some olive oil. Tough to find a store bought one that is healthy, low-sodium, and tastes good. The trifecta of salad deliciousness!
  • BamBam1113
    BamBam1113 Posts: 542 Member
    Options
    I sacrifice a few calories during the day if I know I'm gonna have salad for dinner. That way I can eat some real, good dressing.
  • anubis609
    anubis609 Posts: 3,966 Member
    Options
    I swear I've replied to this thread before, but Bolthouse Farms EVOO Tropical Mango Vinaigrette is delicious. 30 calories for 2 tbsp.
  • lnadeau66
    lnadeau66 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I like Maries yogurt dressings, they have all flavors including ranch and bleu cheese, and I do the dip the fork in method, I can usually get away with about 1 tablespoon (40 cals) for a good sized salad.
  • rlmjohnson
    rlmjohnson Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Wish-Bone® Light Sweet'n Spicy French 50 Calories per two tablespoons. I always water mine down, that way it coats everything and I use less.
  • angmora
    angmora Posts: 22
    Options
    reduced balsamic vinegar is sooo yum. you can use it as a base and doctor it with fruit!!! here is a recipe online http://www.ehow.com/how_4894497_make-reduced-balsamic-vinegar.html
    I googled it and it says 2calories per tablespoon. surprise to me cuz is real sweet
  • kscutie
    Options
    Thanks! I'll have to try that!
  • kscutie
    Options
    I like Maries yogurt dressings, they have all flavors including ranch and bleu cheese, and I do the dip the fork in method, I can usually get away with about 1 tablespoon (40 cals) for a good sized salad.

Are these the ones in the refridgerated section??? In a jar instead of a bottle?
  • forkeeps
    forkeeps Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I also go the Balsamic and EVOO route with some Italian herbs. I like to use fresh basil and some pepper and dried oregano and a squeeze of lemon juice. I put it all in a little blender and it emulsifies it so it seems a little creamy...my kids love it too.
  • handerson65
    Options
    Wishbone Salad Spritzers. I really like the Ranch, it looks watery but has really good flavor. Only 15 calories in 5 sprays which is a very adequate amount for a salad.