How many calories does Zumba burn?

Options
Hi
I am trying to enter in the exercise counter my Zumba activity, but there is not one listed. Has anyone figured out how much to put down for a 60-75 minute of moderate to high impact? I've done tae bo in the past and it might be the closest match, but wanted to see if anyone else had any suggestions.

thanks!

Replies

• smstiver
    smstiver Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    around 635 calories
  • lrichardson2360
    lrichardson2360 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    Somewhere between 600 and 650.
  • pj05
    pj05 Posts: 18
    Options
    Good question. I'm taking Zumba tonight!
  • Jamie_V
    Jamie_V Posts: 26
    Options
    According to my heart rate monitor, my 45 minute class burns about 400 calories, give or take 20 calories. Doing the math based on that, an hour would be about 530 calories, and a 75-minute class (which would totally ROCK, but ours doesn't go that long!) would be somewhere in the neighborhood of 670 calories, again give or take 20-30 calories depending on the instructor and your personal energy level on any given day.
  • Jamie_V
    Jamie_V Posts: 26
    Options
    BTW....I did a 2-hour Zumba For The Cure a few weeks ago, and made it a little over 1000 calories, but I was starting to poop out and slow down near the end. :-)
  • jjl080809
    jjl080809 Posts: 23
    Options
    Thanks everyone so much! Good to know!

My class is supposed to be an hour - but she always goes over at least 15 minutes. Comparitively speaking from a couple other classes I've tried with different instructors, my normal one is on the higher end for impact!

Thanks!!
  • AmandaJPK
    AmandaJPK Posts: 26
    Options
    I read that an hour of Zumba can burn anywhere from 500-800 calories. When I was trying to figure 20 minutes (the length of a Zumba class on Wii), I based my calculation on the low end of an hour and figured that you burn about 8 calories per minute. It's a fun way to exercise if you enjoy dancing!
  • M_lifts
    M_lifts Posts: 2,224 Member
    Options
    my instructor is my build and weight and she burns atleast 1200 cals an hr (she wears a polar). i halve what she does! but to be sure i log 100 cals less despite the fact that i keep up the tempo the whole time!! so i always log it as 500 calories!
  • Walt75
    Walt75 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    Just who is this Zumba guy???