Salad Dressing recomendations???

Options

Replies

• mk820
    mk820 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I use mild rice vinegar. I add a touch of sweetener and for a treat a bit of FF mayo. Only cals are from the FF mayo 15 per tablespoon.
  • kscutie
    kscutie Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I also go the Balsamic and EVOO route with some Italian herbs. I like to use fresh basil and some pepper and dried oregano and a squeeze of lemon juice. I put it all in a little blender and it emulsifies it so it seems a little creamy...my kids love it too.

I never thought of putting it in the blender....that might make the whole oil and viniger thing a little more palletable.
  • meagalayne
    meagalayne Posts: 3,382 Member
    Options
    I use a higher quality balsamic vinegar and find that while it's a little tart I really enjoy it on it's own. 15 cals per Tbsp. I also top my salads with nutritional yeast or cottage cheese, sometimes. Salsa also makes a great low-cal salad dressing option!

If you're in Canada, President's Choice makes awesome blue menu yogurt dressings in all kinds of flavours that are low cal and decently healthy options. Yogurt dressings tend to be lower cal and great substitutes if you like a creamier dressing.

Good luck finding something that works for you :happy:
  • momontherun92
    Options
    My husband and I love this adaptation of a spinach salad dressing. I cut out most of the oil, and use splenda instead of sugar. It's a pretty pink color, too!

3 Tbs canola oil
    1/4 to 1/3 red onion
    1/2 cup splenda
    1Tbs. poppyseeds
    1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
    1/2 tsp salt
    water (try 1 cup, then taste, add more if the vinegar is too strong)

Blend it all up in a blender. Taste it, and add more of whatever you think it lacks. I'm afraid I'm not a detailed cook...I just add until i like it. I store the dressing in the fridge in a rubbermaid dressing-style container. It will last for quite a while!

Note: Because I cut out most of the oil, it doesn't 'stick' to the salad very well, it's very runny. I add some sure gel, or clear gel until it's the thickness I like. If you don't know what that is, it's basically a granulated tapioca based thickener. You can probably find it at health food stores or food storage/preparedness stores.
  • Nogo
    Nogo Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I squeeze the juice out of pepperocini peppers onto my salad with some fresh cracked pepper. Mmmmm!
  • SaraTonin
    SaraTonin Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    If you don't like the texture of straight olive oil, do try putting your olive oil, vinegar, and spices in a bottle and shaking it up. It'll separate out in the fridge but all that matters is that it'll taste aaaamaaazing on your salad!
  • JPod279
    JPod279 Posts: 722 Member
    Options
    Wishbone Salad Spritzer Balsamic Breeze. Had some today on a salad for lunch. It is delicious and only 10 calories for 10 sprays which is more than enough for the rather large salad I had.
  • alygoo615
    alygoo615 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    My ultimate "go-to" is Kraft- Fat Free Zesty Italian. It is my absolutely favorite and in addition to salads, I use it on baby carrots and even use it with deli turkey on a sandwich instead of mayo/mustard or even a piece of romaine lettuce, some deli turkey and a couple drips of the dressing for a super low-cal and delicious protein boost.

I recently found Trader Joe's - Champagne Vinaigrette which is also delicious. I think this one is about 40 or 50 cals for 2 tablespoons but I rarely need that much. Really really good!
  • vkramarenko
    Options
    I never buy any salad dressings for years...

RANCH DRESSING----
    1 cup mayonnaise
    1/2 cup sour cream (I use low fat buttermilk instead )
    1/2 teaspoon dried chives
    1/2 teaspoon dried parsley
    1/2 teaspoon dried dill weed
    1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
    1/4 teaspoon onion powder
    1/8 teaspoon salt
    1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper

BALSAMIC VINEGAR AND OLIVE OIL
    1 sprig fresh oregano
    1 sprig fresh thyme
    1-2 clove garlic
    1 cup olive oil
    1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
    salt and pepper to taste
    I also add some fresh juice of lemon and 1 teaspoon of honey mustard.
  • HolleeERL
    HolleeERL Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    I like Paul Newman's Light Balsalmic Vinegarette. The Light Raspberry
    vinegarette is pretty good on spinich, too. So far, I've like most of his Light Salad dressings. I have also used olive oil, lemon, and Lawry's seasoning salt. If it's too oily, then back off the oil ratio.
  • ladybg81
    ladybg81 Posts: 1,553 Member
    Options
    I use fat free thousand island, italian and DH does ranch. Fat free is an aquired taste but beats the H out of all the calories in regular thousand (it's my favorite!)
  • WarmDontBurn
    WarmDontBurn Posts: 1,253 Member
    Options
    Kraft calorie wise italian..so good and only 5 calories for 1tbsp so I can smother my salad...yummy :smile:
  • redrustdobe
    Options
    Newman's Own Low Fat Seasame Ginger

2T = 35 cal, 1.5g fat
    Strong flavor so you don't need to use much.
  • kscutie
    kscutie Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Wow! all these ideas are great! I almost swore off salad..since I didn't think I could eat it without gobs of full fat Ranch :)
  • jenny18zhao
    jenny18zhao Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    excellence idea
  • wannalose25
    wannalose25 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    fresh lemon juice, canola or olive oil, and salt to taste...really good and you still enjoy the taste of the veggies. :flowerforyou:
  • aflfox
    aflfox Posts: 4
    Options
    I just made my own this weekend and I'm addicted to it!!! I used the juice of a lemon, an orange and a crushed kiwi. I topped it off with a splash of apple cider vinegar and a Splenda packet. I don't like the taste of olive oil, nor do I want to put that many calories into a salad... If I use a tablespoon of olive oil, I might as well just pick a regular dressing, ya know? I love my creation, inspired by a salad I had at a restaurant using a tropical vinaigrette over greens, fruit & sprinkled with crumbled goat cheese and chopped walnuts. I'd rather splurge on those indulgences than to spend so much of my calorie bank on yucky oil. Blughk!
  • MisdemeanorM
    MisdemeanorM Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    the best ever is just plain old lemon juice! Seriously! Try it!!! Zero cal dressing!
  • mk820
    mk820 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I've got another one. FF sour cream and the powdered ranch dreesing. 5 cal for powder, 20 for 2 tBsp FF sour cream
  • aawh
    aawh Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Trader Joe's Champagne Pear Vinaigrette is the best salad dressing I've ever had. I hope they never stop making it! Think it's 45 cals for 2TB. I think in regular grocery stores they carry a similar one in the produce section, but I'm not sure of the brand.

I also like Wishbone Light Sweet & Spicy French - maybe 50 cals for 2TB.

Salsa is also great on salads, add a spoonful of plain greek yogurt or sour cream and it's even better!

Kraft Honey Dijon Vinaigrette and Poppyseed are good too, maybe about 100 cals.