Bummed - Just diagnosed Type 2 Diabetic

Options
Just had a physical and the results were as expected but pretty unsettling.

My pre-diabetes has become Type 2 Diabetes, although I did improve my cholesterol numbers.

Doctor put me on Kombiglyze XR daily and says I have to try and drop 20 pounds before the next visit in 3 months.

Bumped the settings up to 2 pounds a week and trying to get much better about staying within the calorie budget along with eating better. Even though I walk the dogs daily for an hour the doctor wants me to hold off on more strenuous exercise until cleared by a cardiologist stress test which is next Thursday. Once thats done its time to hit the Elliptical and Weights. Besides teh 20 he wants me to lose I figure I need another 20 to 40 depending on what the exercise does to get back to a "good" weight, thank goodness he doesn't use the government chart to determine what good is and agrees with my assessment of 210 to 220 for my height and body structure as being a good target.

Wish me luck.

Replies

• SimplyDeLish
    Options
    You can do it! No luck needed - just putting a priority on being healthy.
  • erisfreenici
    erisfreenici Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    *internet hugs*

That is a total bummer. Luckily, there is a way you can deal with the diagnosis and get where you need to be with your diabetes. It is very good that you are taking the steps you need to take in order to get back to healthy numbers. I hope the stress test goes well, and you can get into more vigorous exercise!

*fingers crossed*
  • Sherbog
    Sherbog Posts: 1,072 Member
    Options
    You will do it. Great incentive and those dogs would enjoy a longer walk. I find walking is a great time to plan good meals. You will do it.
  • sandyw127
    sandyw127 Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    good luck i was diagnosed the day before my 37th birthday this yr. and ive done a 360 i eat much much more healthier. ive lost 27 pounds since my dr visit. still have a ways to go. for once im looking forward to going to the drs just to see his face when he sees me. i work out 6 days a week and really kick my butt. i take metformin 2 times a day i dont want to be on the meds forever so i am doing what ever i can to make sure that dont happen.
    good luck to you...
  • Jena_72
    Jena_72 Posts: 1,057
    Options
    Good Luck! You can do it and I can't think of a better motivator than diabetes!! My 16 year old daughter is a Type 1 diabetic diagnosed when she was 12. My dad is also a Type 2 and has done well since being diagnosed. It is hard but fortunately, a MANAGABLE disease. Keep us posted!! Feel free to add me and if you have any questions I'd be happy to try and answer them for you.
  • keepsiejess
    keepsiejess Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    That sounds really rough.
    Think of how lucky you are to already be starting your way towards a healthier life. Some people have diabetes and they just run their body into the ground...
    Good Luck!
  • rklein88
    rklein88 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Good Luck! Exercise and weight loss will help your body be more sensitive to insulin (rather than being insulin resistant, which causes type 2 diabetes). Once you reach your goal, which will be no problem with all the support here on MFP :) , you are pretty likely to no longer be diabetic!!

Good luck, lots of people on here are no longer diabetic (type 2) or have high blood pressure after losing some weight and getting in better shape....and you can join them!!
  • ekbwk
    ekbwk Posts: 13
    Options
    Ok.. kind of a weird way to look at it, but now you have something to work for. You won't get bogged down because you just don't feel like it today, youll WANT to work for it.
    I wish you the best of luck! And KNOW you can do it!
  • rosieflo
    rosieflo Posts: 218
    Options
    I was just diagnoses about a month ago. I feel your pain. :(
    I'm afraid to admit to many in my support system that I have it.
  • rosieflo
    rosieflo Posts: 218
    Options
    I was just diagnoses about a month ago. I feel your pain. :(
    I'm afraid to admit to many in my support system that I have it.
  • jeffrodgers1
    jeffrodgers1 Posts: 991 Member
    Options
    Sorry to hear about your diagnosis.

The good news is that you can still do something about it. I was an "on the verge case" before I turned it around. I lost around 100 lbs and my numbers are all now better than normal.

While you may always be a diabetic, you can choose how you want to live and you can limit the progression substantially.

Healthy diet and exercise can help reverse some of the effects. You've come to a good place and the people here will support you!

Good Luck!
  • anubis609
    anubis609 Posts: 3,966 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed with type 2 last year. Within 3 months after making a literal lifestyle change of diet and exercise, I became asymptomatic of it completely. I refused to believe that I was "doomed" to have it, even though it's hereditary. So, it's definitely doable. I wish you much success on your journey.
  • BeardieDad
    BeardieDad Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone. It s nice to know there are others out there who have been through it and made it work. I feel more comfortable talking with people on the Internet about than my own family. Probably because you all won't become the "diabetes police" like my family would. I'm struggling with the 20 pounds in 3 months but once I can kick in with more strenuous exercise it will be easier. I tried to negotiate with the doctor about walking the boys but he said that would not be aerobic enough and he would prefer I not try and jog with them for now.
  • mauryr
    mauryr Posts: 385
    Options
    I was diagnosed about a year ago, kinda borderline though. About 6 or 7 months ago, I decided to do something about it. I have lost about 60-65 lbs, and I am now asymptomatic - A1C is normal, and has been so for the last several tests. In addition, cholesterol and overall lipids are normal, or near normal - which is a significant change to one year ago. This is all after stopping meds.

So, this is do-able. It's simple. but not easy - though not really too hard, either. It's simple, insofar as all you have to do is lower your caloric intake, and increase your exercise, sensibly. It's not easy, to stick to this for the long time it takes to see results.

I found that after the first week or two, it became significantly easier to conform with the low calories. I started to notice that after I exercised, my appetite was actually suppressed, so you can likely look forward to that. As time went on, it became easier to conform, and I started to enjoy exercising - and making friends at the gym, which really helps.

As time went on, the superficial changes - looking trim and fit - were an additional positive reinforcement. This is a nice side-effect of getting your blood chemistry in-line. This is the first time in my adult life that I can apply the words "trim and fit" to myself - It certainly doesn't hurt my love life.

Now, I'm just about "normal" in terms of BMI (was "obese"), and I am much more in-tune with my body - more so than ever before in my life - my long life (nearly 50 yrs). My challenge is now to lose a few more lbs, and then learn to maintain.

You can do this. Like I said, it's simple, but not easy... but not too hard, either.

Nothing tastes so good that it's worth shortening your life. Harden your resolve, and take it on.
  • SugaDumplin
    Options
    So sorry to hear you are now a diabetic.

For your diabetes the site diabetes daily is a good site to help with diabetes.

Blessings to you.