What's the best way

Options
Ok, I start working out tomorrow morning at 6:45. I obviously want to work out everything, but my main focus is my stomach. What is the best way to get rid of my tummy. The gym has a lot of machines, and I just don't know which would benefit me the most for my stomach :)

Replies

• amartine
    amartine Posts: 125
    Options
    Ok, I start working out tomorrow morning at 6:45. I obviously want to work out everything, but my main focus is my stomach. What is the best way to get rid of my tummy. The gym has a lot of machines, and I just don't know which would benefit me the most for my stomach :)
  • RachVR6
    RachVR6 Posts: 3,688 Member
    Options
    Cardio! You need cardio to burn fat. You can pinpoint your abs all you want, but you'll just strengthen the muscle underneath the fat. Hope you feel the burn!! :flowerforyou:
  • peej76
    peej76 Posts: 1,250 Member
    Options
    In my opinion cardio is best, it's also my favourite!!
  • kerrilucko
    kerrilucko Posts: 3,852 Member
    Options
    the only way to lose fat is to do cardio. Try the treadmill, stairmaster, ellyptical, jumprope, jogging, and cycling. If you are looking to build up your ab muscles crunches are the way to go. Keep in mind, fat loss cannot be targeted. You have to just work at burning it off through diet and excercise, and eventually the area will get smaller. Unfortunately you can't choose where it comes off first.
  • Anna_Banana
    Anna_Banana Posts: 2,939 Member
    Options
    Cardio! You need cardio to burn fat. You can pinpoint your abs all you want, but you'll just strengthen the muscle underneath the fat. Hope you feel the burn!! :flowerforyou:

I totally agree. You have to lower your over all body fat. I try to do interval training. I've heard it's the most effective way to burn fat. I do 3 min of cardio, 2 min of strength, 1 min of core, then repeat. I have a great exercise tape that is set up this way, but at the gym you could go 3 min on an exercise bike, then work your legs for 2 min with squats lunges, then 1 min of crunches, 3 min on tread mill, 2 min of tricep dips and bicep curls, 1 min of leg lifts, keep going until you work all the major muscle groups, back, chest, shoulders
  • psyknife
    psyknife Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    The best way is to get your entire body on a well-rounded program that includes cardiovascular training AND strength training.
    Why? Cardio burns fat away and will also make your heart and lungs function better, as well as increasing your endurance.
    Strength training builds lean muscle, and that is what shapes the body... not to mention that muscle burns fat, so the more lean mass you have the more calories you burn at rest and while working out... oh yeah, and strength training also burns calories.

To get the best results it's recommended to do 30-45 minutes of cardio (at least) 3-5 times per week and do do 30-60 minutes of strength training 3 times per week.

Remember, when strength training you need to train your entire body to avoid muscle imbalance (which can cause injury, pain, etc...).
    When training your abdominal area be sure to train your entire core... meaning your rectus abdominus, obliques, hip flexors, erector spinae, glutes, quads and hamstrings... they are interconnected.
  • amartine
    amartine Posts: 125
    Options
    Thanks...cardio it is haha :)