Seasonal allergies and working out

Options
I have a cold. Or allergies. Probably allergies (tree pollen). Regardless I've got an itchy throat, a foggy head, and a runny nose. I haven't worked out in a few days because of it.
Just wondering what other seasonal allergy sufferers do about working out. I'm not motivated to do anything but sleep!

Replies

• fly2fisher
    Options
    boy, it's tough dealing with this time of year! hang tough and it will get better soon!
  • Enigmatica
    Enigmatica Posts: 879 Member
    Options
    I take Alavert or Claritin and keep moving
  • alienblonde1
    alienblonde1 Posts: 749 Member
    Options
    I use the generic for zyrtec.
  • Janworkingitout
    Janworkingitout Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    I use a number of exercise DVD's, Leslie Sansone WATP, The Biggest Loser, 30 DS, Kettlebell Workout and I have a stationary bike. I live in Wisconsin and for much of the year unless you like the cold, inside is the way to go! Good luck!
  • Atlantique
    Atlantique Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    I have them as well and I use Allegra. It used to be prescription only, but just came out OTC last month. I also had gotten allergy shots for years, which has helped somewhat. In the worst of it, I also have a steroid nasal spray.

I know what you mean though about just felling kind of cruddy and tired. Even if it's not the best workout in the world, it's better than nothing. I shower afterward to get as much of the pollen off me as possible.

If it's your high pollen season, you may do better working out somewhere with air conditioning. It filters the pollen somewhat.
  • __flexylexi
    __flexylexi Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I take Loratadine and get on with it. I had a bad experience with wheezing the first week the pollen came in, but now I started taking one tab every 24 hrs it hasn't bothered me
  • stitcherbeth
    Options
    Most days I take my Zyrtec generic and push through. There are days that I can't work out or I have to take more meds or caffeine to push through. My exercise equipment i in the garage, so I know there are days I can't go out there. I pop in a dvd and work out or use my WII Active. I take 2 showers a day. I also use a Neti Pot. They are weird and you have to get used to it, but it really does clean the sinuses.
  • aanddplusoanda
    aanddplusoanda Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    I have the same thing going on with me. I just try to ignore my symptoms and do my workout dvds. Taking breaks to get some water for my dry throat and to blow my nose. I haven't really had time to go get something for my symptoms so I work around them.
  • sarglava
    sarglava Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    Thanks for your responses! I figured that OTCs were my only chance... unfortuantely they're either too expensive or make me sleepy (even the non-drowsy ones). I'll just push through at a slower pace. I usually workout indoors, but living on a college campus means I walk to class (through the pollen-filled air). *sigh* There is no hope.
  • Atlantique
    Atlantique Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    Thanks for your responses! I figured that OTCs were my only chance... unfortuantely they're either too expensive or make me sleepy (even the non-drowsy ones). I'll just push through at a slower pace. I usually workout indoors, but living on a college campus means I walk to class (through the pollen-filled air). *sigh* There is no hope.

Can you get a script through the campus medical services? Or at least some samples to try different antihistamines until you find one that is less likely to make you drowsy?

Allegra doesn't make me drowsy. Zyrtec does. Both control my symptoms fairly well. Claritin doesn't do anything for me, but it doesn't make me sleepy. It can take some experimenting.

The steroid nasal spray makes an enormous difference for me. That is generic now so it's pretty cheap. Maybe ask the campus doc about one for you?

Good luck--I know how hard this can be.
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    Oh my, can I relate. Yesterday (and again today) I feel like the commercial, like my life has a haze in it. Yesterday I went to the trainer anyway. Really did not want to, but I would have lost a session and.....NO WAY! :laugh:

I made it through, and it kinda made me feel better. It helps that my trainer is AWESOME and takes all things under consideration. This way she just tweaked my workout to move with what I had going on.

Today I just want to crawl back into bed:yawn:

I can will say this: It was excuses/reasons/situations like this that caused me to gain back almost 20 of the 36 I orig lost. I am back at 26 and do not plan on back sliding again! SO UP AND AT EM!!!

Do something to keep yourself moveing, even if not 100% of what you normally do. You will not regret it:flowerforyou:
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options

Can you get a script through the campus medical services? Or at least some samples to try different antihistamines until you find one that is less likely to make you drowsy?

Allegra doesn't make me drowsy. Zyrtec does. Both control my symptoms fairly well. Claritin doesn't do anything for me, but it doesn't make me sleepy. It can take some experimenting.

The steroid nasal spray makes an enormous difference for me. That is generic now so it's pretty cheap. Maybe ask the campus doc about one for you?

Good luck--I know how hard this can be.

It does take some experimentation, and each year is different for me. This year I went back to my meds used last year and they are not working. Singular at $50 a bottle:noway: